A loop north out of Florida - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A loop north out of Florida

Early tomorrow morning I'll head out from just south of Ft. Myers. I've been thinkin about this trip for quite a while so I'll be glad to get started. The trip will include stops at the Barber motorcycle museum in Birmingham and the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, Iowa. Then its up thru Wisconsin and the UP then down into lower Michigan to visit family, then back south with maybe a little side trip to the east.

I'll have a laptop along so I will be able to update most days and post some pictures. Also have a Spot tracker which puts down tracks during the ride.
This Versys site has given me much so I thought I would give some back with this ride report.

The bike is as ready as it'll ever be. It has about 5200 miles on it. It looked like I would run out of rear tire during the trip so I put a fresh Sportmax on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Here's the link to the spot tracker, should have one test location from just a few minutes ago. Let me know if this is working. Thankx. David.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...X0iyJ77r33RjqZ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dwr302; 07-05-2010 at 03:48 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM

It's working David. I took the opposite trip last summer. Left Tampa for Canada by way of Mackinaw and then up through the UP to Copper Harbor. Back down to Barber.
Kind of cold for me but had a great time. Good luck and safe trip.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Thankx for checking the link Thumper. Do you recall the total miles on your trip?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 PM

I believe we were about 5k. My wife is much better at keeping all the records than me. That is about our usual trip mileage and we are out from 2 to 3 weeks.

We just returned from Arkansas. I am already envious that you are taking off. I really miss the road when we get back.

Have fun.

IBA #23562

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
"I'll have a laptop along so I will be able to update most days and post some pictures. Also have a Spot tracker which puts down tracks during the ride.
This Versys site has given me much so I thought I would give some back with this ride report."

Good Luck on your trip and keep us posted.

Safe ride Buddy.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Got Crabs?

Well I took one shot in florida and that was it. Day one on a trip for me is always haul a$$ day. 375 Miles to the Georgia line then cut accross the southwest corner headed for Alabama.

This corner of Georgia was all peanuts, pecans and pine trees. And some pretty little farm towns too. Oh and red clay of course. Took a shot in a stand of pecan trees while I was answering the call.

Tomorrow will be just a short haul to the Barber Museum. I'll put fresh batteries in the camera. David

Last edited by dwr302; 07-06-2010 at 07:20 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Fastoman thanks for the good wishes.

Thumper, 5K sounds like a good number. And I hope to get across Mississippi
and into Arkansas on thursday.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 08:18 PM

IF you get into Lenette, Al there is a Hampton there with a Salt Water indoor pool. Take my word for it, the hotel is top notch and the pool is excellent. We rode through there last week.
Not 10 miles from the hotel is a great place to eat on westpoint lake (hotel can give you easy directions) called Shuckers. Tell the owner, Thumper and Maggie sent you. He used to be VP for Fruit of the Loom until the economy went south. He bought into this little bar/restaurant and fixed it up. Good food and cold beer.
Looks like a good ride for the day and off the road before any critters come out.

IBA #23562

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Just a couple hundred miles today. Stopped at the track at Talladega. What a monster track. Then on to the Barber Museum. Spent the afternoon there.
As rolled up to the entrance they were doing a photo shoot of this old H-D.

I don't know what to say about those guys in the background.

How about a kawasaki V8?

The Barber facility is fantastic. I'll post more museum shots the next couple days.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Got across the rest of Alabama today, then Mississippi, then the northeast corner of Arkansas. The V hasn't missed a beat. Oil level is not down at all. Ran pretty hard this afternoon in the 95 degree heat and it doesnt seem to care. I like the corbin seat way better than the stock but it is a tad on the firm side. Still, after ten hours its pretty good.

Hwy 32 in Mississippi is a great road, lots of curves and elevation changes. The roads I traveled were in great shape. And in the city of Water Valley
They had both the Casey Jones Museum and The biggest Crappie ever.

Down the road there waas tractor yard art

And Buster Brown shoes in downtown Helena, Arkansas.

Last edited by dwr302; 07-08-2010 at 09:28 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

More shots from the Barber Museum.

A Morbidelli with a V8 engine

A group of 80's turbos from the japanese big four. The kaw had the most displacement and HP.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

The WIFI not so good tonite. North on Hwy 19 up thru Missouri. Great road.
Stopped for the day near Davenport, Iowa.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Just so you know, the Versys Tracker is working well. I have checked in each day to see how the ride is going. Pretty cool. Kind of scary to think my wife might put one of these on my bike.

IBA #23562

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Visited the national Motocycle Museum in Anamosa Iowa today. Rode thru oceans of corn. I thought Indiana had a lot of corn. Iowa wins I think. Later rode north along the Mississippi River into Minnesota then across into Wisconsin. Beautiful country. Some museum shots.

Steve McQueen's Indian chopper

An early chopper

A Harley snowmobile

And does anybody recognize this Nash?

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

West Wisconsin to the straights bridge today. A couple more Anamosa museum shots.

A Cushman bagger

And some kind of mule? No info with the bike.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

From the straits bridge to Whitehall, Michigan yesterday. I will be staying with family for some time so will close this report. The V never complained the whole 2800+ miles. It is a great long distance bike. Can't believe no one
recognized the American Pickers Nash. Oh well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode