Member Rides Show off your Versys...

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jmason

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Ride to the clouds

Once a year, I try to ride to the top of Mt. Evans, which is just west of Denver. The back road up to the start (State Highway 103) has some good turns and straightaways, and the views along the way are great:

The actual Mt Evans road is 14 miles one way, starting at the Echo Lake Lodge, which is 10,600 feet above sea level. Weather here, like most of Colorado, can change rapidly and for that reason the road to the top summit usually closes after Labor Day (early September). This year, the season was extended as they had it closed for road repair for a good chunk of the summer.

I decided today was the day to ride to the top, but had to get some work done in the office. I did not get to Echo Lake Lodge until about 4PM, and there were some clouds forming in the area. The ride up was pretty uneventful, except for the stops to let the Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep cross the road in front of me. The road is in pretty good shape, except for one section of extreme whoop-dee-do's, and the fact that there is some extreme exposure to big rocks and long drop-offs if you miss a turn or corner. Not so scary in a car, but the bike seems to like to ride up a little faster than the speed limit so it's important to know my limits.

Elevation at the parking lot is just over 14,100 feet above sea level. I was almost the only one up there at 4:30pm, and the clouds were moving in. Oh, and temperature might have been in the mid-30s at the most. Thankfully, there was not much wind. My hands got pretty cold for the 10 minutes or so I and them out of my gloves.

Usually, there is a nice view to the North/Northeast, but this is what I saw this time:

The views to the south and west were much better, but I didn't take a lot of time to set up pictures on my Iphone:

(PS - that flat spot, off in the distance above the tank bag, is South Park, home to Kenny, Cartman and the rest of the Crew!

(photoshop seems to have messed up the pics a bit)

I had my mobius camera on the bike, but the recording options got screwed up and i didn't get any of the ride to the top taped. I was bummed, because I used that camera to get more scenery shots and goat/sheep shots. I guess I'll need to head up again next year and try it again. ;-)
weljo2001, steve1503 and KevinMac like this.

'09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I love that ride.

Here's video of my ride up the other day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 PM

The one time I made that ride quickly turned into zero visibility and thunder sleet storm. Made it all the way down in first gear and full puckered!

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-20-2015, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
I love that ride.

Here's video of my ride up the other day.
https://youtu.be/PRcT_WMDDC8
Nice video, but too many cars .

I want to figure out a time to go up with minimal traffic, where I can record had ride up in the amount of time it takes to play "in a gada da vida". That's about 13 miles in 17 minutes :-)

'09 Versys
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmason View Post
Nice video, but too many cars .

I want to figure out a time to go up with minimal traffic, where I can record had ride up in the amount of time it takes to play "in a gada da vida". That's about 13 miles in 17 minutes :-)
Lemme know when you figure it out, I'll join you

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texrider View Post
The one time I made that ride quickly turned into zero visibility and thunder sleet storm. Made it all the way down in first gear and full puckered!
I have visions of you in "full puckered" mode......too funny!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode