• 2 Post By Stud Muffin
  • 2 Post By kawdawg
  • 1 Post By IF1960
  • 1 Post By kawdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
100+ mph therapy

Tonight I took my recently new to me Versys just past the hundred mph mark for the first time with this bike - cue the warm fuzzies! Been faster but still a nice ride.
TX_Fred106 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Im with you there brother, always enjoy a nice burst of speed to clear my head. Will not mention what I have done with a new demo ZX 14 as that's a whole another story
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 11:46 AM

Pushed mine till it stopped accelerating and hit 118. Probably only 112 with speedo error. I think my 2009 feels kind of squirrely in the front end at and approaching the ton mark. Could be my tires too. Pirelli scorpion trails. Still it is fun to crank it up some times.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Pushed mine till it stopped accelerating and hit 118. Probably only 112 with speedo error. I think my 2009 feels kind of squirrely in the front end at and approaching the ton mark. Could be my tires too. Pirelli scorpion trails. Still it is fun to crank it up some times.
I'm right there with you Stud Muffin - 118 to 120 mph tops on the speedo (actual mph somewhat lower). I have a stock 2009 with Bridgestone 023's and I weigh 200. I'm sure a lighter rider could get 5-10 more mph.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:25 PM

The thou is still pulling at 120 (200kph) sure does make you grin .. stay safe though

Ian
Growing Older is Inevitable, Growing Up is Optional.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:19 AM

Get a flat tire and you'll think 100 mph therapy
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Im with you there brother, always enjoy a nice burst of speed to clear my head. Will not mention what I have done with a new demo ZX 14 as that's a whole another story
I betcha scared some bloody sheep didn't you mate?!?!?!?!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

True Kawdawg, but just getting on a motorcycle is risky and guess many of us who choose to ride, do so partly because there is some risk. What do guys think - how much should riders dwell on the possibility of flat tires, locked up rear tires, animals running out etc?

Last edited by toofattoridesportbikes; 09-17-2015 at 07:39 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 09:30 PM

Garage
My previous 2 bikes were Ninjas, and there was rarely a day that I got on them that I did not hit triple digits......The highest I have done was 135 mph for a 25 mile stretch up the North Way in NY at 1am.

Now in my older age(I'm 29 now, and have had the V for 5.5 years ) I do not have the desire to go as fast. My on-board GPS lists my top speed, and I believe the fastest I have gone is 91 mph.

I still enjoy speed, just done have the urge to go crazy on my bike anymore. 2 winters ago I hit 81MPH while on skis....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofattoridesportbikes View Post
True Kawdawg, but just getting on a motorcycle is risky and guess many of us who choose to ride, do so partly because there is some risk. What do guys think - how much should riders dwell on the possibility of flat tires, locked up rear tires, animals running out etc?
Of course there is no reason to dwell, but it would be idiotic not to acknowledge it could happen. All it takes is the WEAKEST link in a chain of events to happen, like getting off the main car tire tracks on the road (!) and picking a nail up. It is that easy.

I just wanted to balance it out with newbies reading, "wow, all you have to do is turn the throttle and that's all!" It is not all by far. If you do that often, you also better by God keep that bike maintained by a professional wrench who is an expert. Stuff happens and to racing bikes especially and often. This is not high school dare game bs, this is life and death. Many race bikes are rebuilt every race. Now compare your maintenance schedule to that. You may not have done that, but your were lucky if nothing ever happened and you ride like that often: real lucky. ymmv.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
My previous 2 bikes were Ninjas, and there was rarely a day that I got on them that I did not hit triple digits......The highest I have done was 135 mph for a 25 mile stretch up the North Way in NY at 1am.

Now in my older age(I'm 29 now, and have had the V for 5.5 years ) I do not have the desire to go as fast. My on-board GPS lists my top speed, and I believe the fastest I have gone is 91 mph.

I still enjoy speed, just done have the urge to go crazy on my bike anymore. 2 winters ago I hit 81MPH while on skis....
At least with the skis you can rule out a flat tire.

Years ago I chased a Mercedes Convertible down I-90 a pretty good ways while on my Honda CB750K at top speed whatever that might be since the speedometer could only go to 85. You'd be too young to know of the dark ages when 55 mph was the speed limit on interstates and GPS for the masses was only for the movies.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Once or twice I have touch 160kph -a bit unsafe IMO.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Once or twice I have touch 160kph -a bit unsafe IMO.
Hmm from the fast old man, you should tell the team how fast you drive your car, we did not take long to drive from Ipoh, malaysia to Thailand in your car, my lovely wife was very impressed with how smooth you drove and rocket speed.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2wheels View Post
I betcha scared some bloody sheep didn't you mate?!?!?!?!
There was some sheep when I started on a speed run on the ZX 14 on a straight country road but at full noise they had disappeared into white blurry dots.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
WHEN I had a Bandit 1200S, at least once a season I would "pin-it" and see around 240 km/hr on the speedo....

I'm talking "GO directly to Jail" speeds...!

Then I bought my FIRST Versys, sold the B12, and I don't think I've even been to the "Ton" on one. Guess I don't handle "temptation" very well....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode