A Royal Enfield, A Versys and a SQ 4 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Royal Enfield, A Versys and a SQ 4

It turning out to be a wild weekend. I had off yesterday afternoon due to a machine failure, it was crashed by 2nd or 3rd shift and was going to be down all day.

So I sorrowfully took the RE out with a heavy heart... why are you laughing? OK I was happy as a pig in mud. Did over 250 miles and on the way home stopped at a Honda dealer to see if they had Repsol oil. I think I have enough for one more change then it synthetic oil for me. No they didn't. But on leaving I noticed the clear sky we were promised was dark and rain showers were popping up. So I ran the RE harder than I have to date. 65 for about 3 miles on US-33 to 4 then 55 for the next 30 miles south. Never missed a beat or whimper once. I varied the speed a bit up to 60 and down to 50 but it ran "clean and strong" the whole way.

Today I got out the Versys to run to another dealer and buy a qt of Repsol just in case and ran into a lady friend, she was looking for a new helmet as she rides a 1200rt and it's HER bike make no mistake about it! Well we ended up riding down to the Ohio River just because, about 140 each way. Nice ride and on the way back we split at Rt 23 and US 35 with her heading north on 23 and myself west on 35.

Now it's Twilight Zone time. I'm maybe 5 miles from my place a I see a guy on a Enfield...no that's NOT an Enfield? What is it? He got closer and I saw what it was and HAD to turn around and chase him down and beg for a photo shoot. After all it's not every day you run across a Ariel Square 4 on the road!

John said it was a 1957 and his 2nd SQ 4 he even let me sit on it,it felt about the same size and my Enfield, a small bike with a very low center of gravity! After we talked for a bit we took off. One kick and it fired right up. A beautiful bike. I want to point out that it has three stands, a side stand, the rear wheel stand and the in the front, that fender stay? It's a front wheel stand! They weren't dumb in those days at all

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 08-01-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sounds like a splendid adventure
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
An Ariel Square Four! Outstanding! Amazing! I fell in love when I first saw one in the Isle of Man years ago. Despite the not unusual problem of the rear two cylinders overheating in warm weather, it's a beautiful bike. Excluding a Vincent or Brough Superior, the only other bike I lust after more is a Scott Flying Squirrel. Love old British bikes.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very cool. Nice of the guy to stop and talk.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
A "Squariel".

Have to say I've NEVER sat on one of those.

A FEW Vincents, a Scott Flying Squirrel, a Matchless V4, a KTT Velocette, a STREET-LEGAL (!!!) Manx Norton among others, but NEVER a square-4.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode