When 'pigs' fly... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
When 'pigs' fly...

I have a great "loop" I ride, just to get a bunch of turns in, and it's around 200 kms (120 miles) long. Along it in one area, several farmers have made neat looking wind-direction 'mobiles', and I've posted up pics of "Snoopy" before, as well as the "Red Baron" at his neighbor's place.

Going by I noticed an addition, so hit the brakes, grabbed the camera, and took these:

and, I guess, his 'take' on..."When pigs fly..."!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very cool !

One of the fun things about buying the Versys is that it drives the desire to take all these roads I have passed for years. You always find cool off the beaten path stuff.

I jumped on 421 this morning for some beginner twisties which dumped me out in Bristol. Saw some stunning properties and gorgeous views.

Had I continued for a couple of miles, I would have been on The Snake. I had no idea.

Back roads for life !

2014 Versys 650 in glorious Kawasaki Green
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
Do you notice much difference in the handling, performance, etc between the 2015 Versys and your 09? Other than the fact one is new.

Steve

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Brakes on the '15 ARE better (NEVER used the ABS yet...); the ride is better (I believe the rear shock has improvements in addition to the remote-spring-preload); and the forks are improved.

So far I've been getting VG mileage, and that's NOT because I'm riding like an "old-man" (which I AM......). Generally riding in a 'spirited' fashion, I've been getting in the 55 to 60 mpgUS range, 69 to 75 mpgImperial, which SOUNDS better....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 07:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
Thanks for the update
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I have a great "loop" I ride, just to get a bunch of turns in, and it's around 200 kms (120 miles) long. Along it in one area, several farmers have made neat looking wind-direction 'mobiles', and I've posted up pics of "Snoopy" before, as well as the "Red Baron" at his neighbor's place.
I love stuff like that. I was riding back in the country the other day and a small plane like that was pulling a glider and taking off above the road as I passed under them. Today, a hawk flew with me down the road for a good way before he got distracted and found a better flight plan. The other day a crane (the bird, not the machine) took off from the side of the road and just about hit me. I could just see explaining that one to the insurance agent...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Twice in AZ I guess I disturbed a turkey vulture at the side of the road, and it flew across JUST as I got there.

Missed, but just BARELY...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie View Post
Very cool !

One of the fun things about buying the Versys is that it drives the desire to take all these roads I have passed for years. You always find cool off the beaten path stuff.

I jumped on 421 this morning for some beginner twisties which dumped me out in Bristol. Saw some stunning properties and gorgeous views.

Had I continued for a couple of miles, I would have been on The Snake. I had no idea.

Back roads for life !
You live in the best place in the world for motorcycles. I put several hundred thousand (BMW) motorcycle miles from Dunlap, TN and then from Nashville on weekends. Every weekend, I'd look at the Weather Channel and explore an area, drop by a big city, and put around 1000 miles per weekend. TN is the best, but where TN/GA/SC/NC meet, there are nice areas too.

My favorite ride was right near where I lived: Suck Creek Mountain between Chattanooga and the Sequatchie Valley. It's 20 miles of low, medium, and high speed turns. Go to one side and turn around, at least once. No cops and State Troopers in the mountains will out run you in their Crown Vics

That was definitely my favorite place I've lived: $350 for 3 bedroom brick house with single garage (and door opener) right next to the side of a mountain
Now in California, I pay twice that for a freaking single room (but I finally got my double garage w/a door opener :-)

Eddie,

Great pics, but all the animals I've seen from Canada in your pics are made of plaster.
I haven't seen one bird or anything.

Are there any live ones up there? I didn't know if hunters and cold Winters got them all.
Wild animals are pretty smart and don't return to unfriendly areas (but a whole continent?)
Birds are a key metric anywhere I go now. If there aren't any around, then something is seriously wrong.

Last edited by kawdog; 08-05-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Great pics, but all the animals I've seen from Canada in your pics are made of plaster.

Are there any live ones up there? I didn't know if hunters and cold Winters got them all.
Wild animals are pretty smart and don't return to unfriendly areas (but a whole continent?)
Birds are a key metric anywhere I go now. If there aren't any around, then something is seriously wrong.
Here's a few animules from my jaunts to the great white north.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1016.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	68954

Name:	IMG_1021.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	68962

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	68970

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	68978

Name:	IMG_0964.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	68986

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	68994
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Eddie,

LOTS of animal pics in my report on riding to D2D 2015! Here's a 'dead' one

and a couple of others....

Go have a look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
Here's a few animules from my jaunts to the great white north.

Attachment 68994
REALLY love your pic of Louise!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 12:34 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 02:13 PM

Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Brakes on the '15 ARE better (NEVER used the ABS yet...); the ride is better (I believe the rear shock has improvements in addition to the remote-spring-preload); and the forks are improved.

So far I've been getting VG mileage, and that's NOT because I'm riding like an "old-man" (which I AM......). Generally riding in a 'spirited' fashion, I've been getting in the 55 to 60 mpgUS range, 69 to 75 mpgImperial, which SOUNDS better....

I don't want to highjack the thread but how do you find the engine vibration in the handlebars on the 2015 vs. 2009. (I think you own a '09 as well, right?)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyzmo View Post
...I don't want to highjack the thread but how do you find the engine vibration in the handlebars on the 2015 vs. 2009. (I think you own a '09 as well, right?)
I don't really notice much difference, tho' it MUST be less on the '15.

BTW - I 'had' an '09 till a few weeks back....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode