It is the ultimate adventure bike... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It is the ultimate adventure bike...

Fires out near Opal, Alberta, Canada.

It wasn't too smokey out there today, although the wind may have had something to do with that

Last edited by Banack; 05-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Banack,
How was your snowpack last winter? Seems awful early for fires??

regards, Bob
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Pretty bad. Winter had a late start this year and, at the end of it, the snow seemed to vanish overnight. This whole region has had several years of drought conditions, which has left it very vulnerable to such fires...it's actually quite mind boggling that this hasn't happened sooner. Very unfortuante.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...likely-culprit

Hmmm... they think an ATV was likely the culprit.

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM

Banack,
Thanks for the reply, interesting article re: problems/conflicts with ATV's. We have our share of those problems down here too!

Down in this country, southern UT and northern AZ, we had well above normal precipitation this past winter. I guess that's the way it goes when El Nino "comes to town". The northwest is dry and the southwest gets extra wet.

I hope you guys can avoid any more of these disasters, I hope you get some rain this summer!!

regards, Bob
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bob,

Indeed, we are in need of a good, wet year. Good to hear you guys are getting above your normal precipitation levels, hopefully it lasts. I am guessing the fire out near Opal was a bit worse due to the lack of frequent forest fires, resulting in a huge amount of fuel loading. It appears as though they have the fire near Opal under more control than they previously did, but they are still fearful of it rising up again (there are currently a lot of underground fires).

Ah, speaking of AZ, my parents are heading down there sometime in the next month to purchase a house, although I'm not sure what part of AZ they are looking in. I'm sure I'll be down there sometime (especially when it's -30 celcuis here!) and will drop you a line.

All the best!

"I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banack View Post
Hey Bob,

Indeed, we are in need of a good, wet year. Good to hear you guys are getting above your normal precipitation levels, hopefully it lasts. I am guessing the fire out near Opal was a bit worse due to the lack of frequent forest fires, resulting in a huge amount of fuel loading. It appears as though they have the fire near Opal under more control than they previously did, but they are still fearful of it rising up again (there are currently a lot of underground fires).

Ah, speaking of AZ, my parents are heading down there sometime in the next month to purchase a house, although I'm not sure what part of AZ they are looking in. I'm sure I'll be down there sometime (especially when it's -30 celcuis here!) and will drop you a line.

All the best!
Banack,
As your parents know, right now is an excellent time to buy a house in AZ, with the current economy, it's definitely a buyer's market.

Definitely let me know when you head down here, I live in St. George, UT and we have excellent, nearly year round riding around here!

regards, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode