Visit to Tail of the Dragon on the Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Visit to Tail of the Dragon on the Versys

Tail of the Dragon last weekend.

This was mi first long distance ride on the Versys, a 2300 miles round trip from Dallas to Blue Ridge in 4 days.

Notes from the trip:
  1. I was able to cruise at about 85mph most of the time and the bike handled very well.
  2. Stock seat was OK, but the riding position played bad on my knees, had to stop a few times to stretch my legs.
  3. No significant vibrations perceived.
  4. The GIPro is useless. Slow and many times it reports 5th when actually in 6th.
  5. The throttle grip shifted out and cause the throttle rubber grip to drag with the bar end weight and not return to the closed position, this was a bit disturbing and had to pay attention to manually force the throttle closed for about 100 miles, until I finally fixed it.
  6. The mirrors turned in after some time due to the road bumps, will have to tighten them more.
  7. Givi soft saddlebags aren't good for rain weather, despite having rain covers, the water will get between the cover and the bags and accumulate there soaking whatever is inside.

Overall a good bike for a trip like this.

Here are a few of pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	750848.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	64442

Name:	750875.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	64450

Name:	3816486-129Slayer.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	64458
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM

I bought my Versys back in Feb 2011 to go to the Dragon in June. Shipped it from Seattle and rode it back 4200 miles. Fantastic trip. Bike performed flawlessly, even surviving an electrical fire under the gas tank
Sitting at the pump after just filling up I'm aware there is smoke now pouring out from under the seat and flames under the tank. The expensive Touratech power outlet I'd installed had just melted and caught fire. Fek!!! That was an interesting moment I can tell you.

Pics from my Dragon run

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM

Garage
Great trips, and pictures. It's already been 3 years since I rode the Versys down to US 129, what a great time. The whole area is great riding. Now that things are back "in season" I really enjoy flipping though Killboy's weekly highlight pictures.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Murquiza... I like those hand guards. Did you order them from Kawasaki? Or are the another brand with the Kawi logo on them?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by duhs10 View Post
Murquiza... I like those hand guards. Did you order them from Kawasaki? Or are the another brand with the Kawi logo on them?

Are Polisport check it out here

Some trimming is required at the clutch switch and cable area.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM

Thanks I will check them out..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 PM
BKP

Garage
Nice pics... Slayer? Killboy?

You were up there with the V-Strom rally. They run a 2-3 day rally every year this weekend -- pretty much take over the Iron Horse. My avatar was from last year's rally.

Unfortunately, I was told they lost a rider in a collision with a pickup that ran a stop sign, on the Skyway, Saturday... Hate to hear those stories...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murquiza View Post
the riding position played bad on my knees, had to stop a few times to stretch my legs.
http://shop.motowerk.com/Lowering-Fo...FPG-LWR-RA.htm
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 06:40 AM

Deals Gap is one of the must do rides. I have done it in a BMW Z4, Subaru WRX and a Suzuki Bandit. Have not been able to get there on the Versys yet. Its on my bucket list. Sounds like you had a great time.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Wal-Mart sells waterproof dry bags in assorted sizes. Even with hard bags, I organise my gear in the bags. Keeps things handy and dry.

I ride the dragon solely for the photo op. There are amazing roads in there with little traffic. There are times on the dragon where you would be lucky to go 25 mph.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Nice pics... Slayer? Killboy?
Unfortunately, I was told they lost a rider in a collision with a pickup that ran a stop sign, on the Skyway, Saturday... Hate to hear those stories...
Those are US129phopto and Killerboy.

I heard of a guy on a Ducatti killed on Wed or Thu, he crashed on another bike. I passed by an Audi that got bittee by the dragon, but the driver escaped alive. It's too crowded and many go to prove themselves and push it too hard then **** happens.

Name:	IMG_1025.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	64474

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickAus View Post
Thought about it, but it's not the height but the position on the vertical, highway pegs would be a better alternative. I used the crash guards for that but are a bit too high to be comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Wal-Mart sells waterproof dry bags in assorted sizes. Even with hard bags, I organise my gear in the bags. Keeps things handy and dry.

I ride the dragon solely for the photo op. There are amazing roads in there with little traffic. There are times on the dragon where you would be lucky to go 25 mph.
I wasn't expecting to get water in the bags the waterproof bags inside is a good option if I take the Versys out again.

I agree with other roads that are really good. The road to Hellen, GA is one I liked it pretty much, also the Nantahala National Forest, northwest of Highlands and the waterfalls there.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
[*] Stock seat was OK, but the riding position played bad on my knees, had to stop a few times to stretch my legs....
Quite a few of us got peg-lowering blocks from MotoWerk (Speedy) to increase leg-room, and they REALLY work well!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:11 PM
BKP

Garage
Quote:
I agree with other roads that are really good. The road to Hellen, GA is one I liked it pretty much...
That's my backyard... If you liked the road up to Helen, get in touch next time you're down this way, and we'll be happy to take you up to the Suches Loop, Blood Mountain, and Wolf Pen Gap...
Blood is very similar to the Dragon, but with much longer, wider sweeps, which (IMHO) makes it a bit more enjoyable, because you're not hitting those brakes at every hairpin and switchback...
Plus, the entire Suches Loop is over 42 miles, with lots of pull-offs and breath-taking views of the Georgia mountains...

For next time...

In case you're interested in seeing it... I recorded this last year on Blood:

https://youtu.be/mw3_xJ74PZA

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]

Last edited by BKP; 05-20-2015 at 02:19 PM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
That's my backyard... If you liked the road up to Helen, get in touch next time you're down this way, and we'll be happy to take you up to the Suches Loop, Blood Mountain, and Wolf Pen Gap...
Blood is very similar to the Dragon, but with much longer, wider sweeps, which (IMHO) makes it a bit more enjoyable, because you're not hitting those brakes at every hairpin and switchback...
Plus, the entire Suches Loop is over 42 miles, with lots of pull-offs and breath-taking views of the Georgia mountains...

For next time...

In case you're interested in seeing it... I recorded this last year on Blood:

https://youtu.be/mw3_xJ74PZA

If you want another rider for this trip just let me know. I love riding the back roads in north Georgia and western North Carolina. I grew up in one and now live in the other.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 11:57 AM

Ditto on the hanguard compliments. It makes it look like a new Vs. red fairing model. You gambled and got lucky on the color match. It's the best looking red Vs. I've seen to date. Nice bike!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
Ditto on the hanguard compliments. It makes it look like a new Vs. red fairing model. You gambled and got lucky on the color match. It's the best looking red Vs. I've seen to date. Nice bike!
Thank you.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 12:40 PM

I've rode three times from Mexico City to the TOD, twice on my '14 Versys and once on my XT660R. The V only has 20hp over the XT, but you can tell they are there, when cruising at 85mph the XT was close to being maxed out whereas the Versys still has some power left in reserve. Also the V loves cruising at "slightly illegal" speeds, where the vibration is not an issue.

About the GiPro, it has been noted that the new one for the MK3 Versys is another GiPro based unit and also the reviewers noticed that it was not reliable, so I guess it's the same thing in a different casing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode