People joining you - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
People joining you

Maybe I'm imagining it, but I seem to keep picking up strays, or other motorcycle riders end up riding pretty close to me on some of my practice runs. Even some kid on a moped looking thing was riding along with me for a while (had to smoke his azz, sorry).

But should I get a sign for my back that says, NEWBIE, STAY BACK 100 FEET?

Nice to get some waves and nods though as others go by. Of course haven't seen any Harley's acknowledge me, but didn't think that would happen anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM

not here (WA/OR), that may not be fair given theres not that many bikes on the roads I've been on recently

mind you I seem to be getting acknowledgements from Harley and BMW riders aswell as the others you'd expect. mebbe its adding the full touring kit (the oversize panniers, the rucksack, the tank bag and the tent + sleeping bag) that helps
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM

I have seen crashes when guys ride so close and fast in a convoy.
It's really unsafe and as you mentioned "had to smoke his azz, sorry" than to him to kiss and make a mess.

Keep a safe braking distance and never stay exactly behind anyone. Cheers and Safe rides.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
only had a few time guys joing in but they kept a safe distance. Just about every biker i pass waves here regardless of what bike thier on and thats a lot of waving

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:02 PM

I seem to attract riders too. I've met some pretty cool folks that way. When I stay on the back roads I don't but get near any of the larger roads on a nice sunny day and they come out of the woodwork.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Yeah I'll get random people join in with me on occasion...
But it's if it's sportbikes or cruisers, I tend to quickly find my way out of the group.
I won't ride with/or even too near people whom I feel are either unsafe, or w/out ATGATT.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:25 PM

Sometimes when I come across a rider without a helmet, I'll look em dead on, give my helmet a few small taps, and then be gone...

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxelF View Post
But should I get a sign for my back that says, NEWBIE, STAY BACK 100 FEET?

DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED!!

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrider View Post

DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED!!

How do I get this small enough to put on my topcase? And, I suppose instead of Arabic the second language ought to be Spanish.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
Sometimes when I come across a rider without a helmet, I'll look em dead on, give my helmet a few small taps, and then be gone...
I know in some states you don't have to wear a helmet but IMO and please do not take offense but you have to be brain dead not to wear one or have a death wish, i am glad it compulsory here.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 AM

[QUOTE=AxelF; Of course haven't seen any Harley's acknowledge me, but didn't think that would happen anyway. [/QUOTE]

Ride em if ya got em!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:13 AM

I like joining other bikes or when others join me...I think it's fun to ride in groups.

I just wish I had friends who rode.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM

if its that much if a worry, then treat 'em like any tailgaiter..... pull over at the nearest opportunity and let 'em pass. let 'em go scare the bejasus out of someone else. if you are not comfortable with whats happening then do something about it.

it may be they are a potenial psyhco nutter, it may be they just want to ride with someone, it may be they don't know better... bearing in mind that lots of people take to US roads with little or no training, the images they see on TV & film are not the best

you have the power to control things, especially with that right hand controlling the exhaust note.

if you like riding in company, and someone does that then pull over, falg 'em down and explain.

personally when riding in groups I like to be have a 2..3 seconds observation / clearance "bubble" all around me. I'm relaxed if we are on wide roads (no real twisties) if we adopt a staggered formation so I may be 1..2 seconds behind the guy on the other side of the lane. rarely would I ride smack in the middle of a lane unless I needed to control that to stop some *!*)&*(! in a cage lunging into 'MY' roadspace
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
if its that much if a worry, then treat 'em like any tailgaiter..... pull over at the nearest opportunity and let 'em pass. let 'em go scare the bejasus out of someone else. if you are not comfortable with whats happening then do something about it.

you have the power to control things, especially with that right hand controlling the exhaust note.
Noted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode