...and the new ride is home... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
BKP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
...and the new ride is home...

Picked her up today... 35 mile ride home, on a straight, traffic free side road, from the dealer -- perfect distance and road for a textbook Motoman break-in... (spools haven't even arrived yet, to change the oil!).

This bike is a gas! It definitely talks to you in every gear, and loves the higher revs: (c'mon baby, either downshift, or gimme more throttle!). And, the pull seems to be throughout the power-band -- very impressive. The Strom's sweet spot was between 4k and 5k -- the V seems to like at least 1k higher than that. And, definitely not as much shifting on the V.

Compared to the V-Strom, it's ever so slightly buzzier. You can see that slight vibe in the mirrors (which, BTW, are fine (for me), once adjusted properly), however, it's definitely "ignorable" after a moment or two. I've got a 29" inseam, and had no problems getting the balls of my feet down on both sides -- so I don't plan on lowering.
I *do* miss the gear indicator... that's primary on the farkle list.

The ergos are great... very similar to the Strom, but the wow factor kicks in on handling and flickability, thanks to the 17" front tire, and shorter wheelbase... I mean, I said "wow" out loud a couple times inside my lid, going into a turn or two, at how much less effort it took to lean that thing (yes - I was mindful of the slick new tires). I think I'll need to do a thousand or so miles before I can decide whether the stocker seat stays. It's really pretty comfortable - so far - but, who can really tell in 35 miles...

Shifting was as smooth as if it had been worn in for 10k miles. A slight thunk going back down to 1st, but it shifts very deliberately and confidently (but *still* miss that gear indicator)... Adjustable brake and clutch levers, a nice touch, and the clutch seems to have just the right amount of tension... Very impressed with the dual calipers up front. No sponginess at all. I assume the upgrade is responsible for that.
Suspension I couldn't really get a read, running down a straight, uneventful slab... I'll be better able to test that on a run into the north Georgia mountains.

And, of course, the styling is awesome. Prettiest ST around...
This is going to be a *fun* bike...

Ride safe...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:52 PM

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM

and you'll come to love it even more as the miles roll by.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
Picked her up today...
Louking gewd...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 04:45 PM

Very nice! Contgratulations!

Just a quick side note on the suspension for the '15 650 Versys. Mine came from the dealier with front/rear preload set as the lowest (softest) settings possible. The front dampener was completly backed out as well. I recommending adjusting the 3 suspension compenents to 50% and go up or down from there depending on your taste... I think it's about 12 clicks of the rear preload knob, 6 turns (clock-wise for stiff) for the front preload (the allan key on the left fork) and 1.5 turns (clockwise for stiff) for the front dampener (right fork, flathed screwdriver adjustment).

I went over a few railroad tracks on my way home from the dealer and she was rocking back and forward quite a bit (very squishy suspension).... Felt MUCH better after tightening (stiffening) everything up!

ENJOY!!!

Last edited by Apollo12227; 05-11-2015 at 04:48 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
... (spools haven't even arrived yet, to change the oil!)....
You can change oil on the sidestand - just hold it level for a bit to get the last oil out.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
BKP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
You can change oil on the sidestand - just hold it level for a bit to get the last oil out.

Yeah... but then it's tough to check the new oil level, if you're holding the bike up at the same time...

Got my spools in - Woodcraft Delrin 8mm (don't like the aluminum anodized). Howevuh... my Pit Bull stand (which has outlasted the last 4 bikes) doesn't fit (sorta) thanks to that long funky rear fender... Might have to trim that thing...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 AM

...and the new ride is home...

Quote:
Yeah... but then it's tough to check the new oil level, if you're holding the bike up at the same time...

Got my spools in - Woodcraft Delrin 8mm (don't like the aluminum anodized). Howevuh... my Pit Bull stand (which has outlasted the last 4 bikes) doesn't fit (sorta) thanks to that long funky rear fender... Might have to trim that thing...

I had the same problem with my stand so I bought a "Venom" on EBay for $40 that was long enough to get past the fender on my '12. Works well now and I set up my old stand for the front wheel.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 10:00 AM

and congrats. nice looking ride.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah... but then it's tough to check the new oil level, if you're holding the bike up at the same time....
Do NOT check your oil-level on a rear stand, as it will give you incorrect info - the bike isn't level.

I stop my engine by putting the stand down while in-gear. Then when I come back to the bike, I approach from the right, hold the front brakes ON (NOT really necessary), then pull the bike up to vertical and look down at the window to check the level, followed by letting it back onto the stand, gently.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Do NOT check your oil-level on a rear stand, as it will give you incorrect info - the bike isn't level.

I stop my engine by putting the stand down while in-gear. Then when I come back to the bike, I approach from the right, hold the front brakes ON (NOT really necessary), then pull the bike up to vertical and look down at the window to check the level, followed by letting it back onto the stand, gently.

This is actually easy to do. Just pull on the right grip while watching the glass - you can easily feel the balance of the bike.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode