Western Maryland and the Civil War. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Western Maryland and the Civil War.

Just a stone's throw away, many battles of the Civil War unfolded. Some of the local towns are; Uniontown, Union Mills, Freedom, Westminster, Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry etc. A couple weeks ago I had the most amazing ride. Of course I forgot my camera, but it may have been a good thing as I was caught in fierce rain storms in the mountains of Southern Pennsylvania with no shelter.

I remembered my digital camera Sunday and tired to retrace some of my previous route, but the weather was not cooperating. There is fantastic scenery around here, and some really interesting historic sites, battlefields and homes to check out. I'm going to begin taking my DSLR around with me and see if I can capture some of the local history, and beauty of Western Maryland, Southern PA and Virginia. I'm planning to update this thread with more pictures as I take them.
July 14th

Smooth sailing;

Take any side road and you're rewarded with twisties through the woods with interesting homes and farms to look at.

Uniontown;

There are these red white and blue signs popping up all over Maryland pointing out historic sites related to the Civil War.

A detail of strategic maneuvers taking place over a hundred and fifty years ago, with opposing armies camped out just miles apart. Lee was in Westminster, Meade in Uniontown.

I believe this is an old inn;

Built in 1794, how did they know how to make the roads just the perfect width for modern traffic?

Back on the open road, the Versys handles dirt and gravel roads just fine;

Cool older farm house;

The rain was coming;

Found another sweet plot with a cool farm house;

And then... This thing is HUGE...I'll try and get some more pictures that show the scale of this massive machine located at a quarry. It can be seen for miles and miles around;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:36 PM

cool! I grew up in that area and used to love driving out to Gettysburg and surrounding environs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Nice report! Great pics!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 AM

This really makes me want to retrace my own Civil War expeditions of several years ago. I went to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Harper's Ferry, but I wasn't a rider back then. Nonetheless the experience was unforgettable. Doing it on a bike would be that much better. Maybe even using a CD tour of the battlefield.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Nice pictures. Looks like it was a fun ride. I love history and what a better way to see it, on a bike.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:06 PM

Awesome pics!

That looks like the kind of ride I'd like to do.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 PM

Great pics....thanks for sharing
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

There's more to come, I'm trying to figure out the best way to carry my SLR w/o bringing my bag and all the gear. I might wind up with a tank bag soon.

I've got some cool pictures from Gettysburg from a couple years ago. I try and go there once a year or so. When you stop and begin reading all the names of the fallen, it can be moving. There are lists and more lists of the casualties every where you look around the battlefield.

Luke
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

We've been busy lately, but I managed to drag wifey out to Catoctin Mountain north of Frederick yesterday. There is a series of dirt roads that go through a state owned forest that houses the City of Frederick reservoir and some hunting/hiking lands. It's beautiful out there.

Still haven't taken the DSLR, but I've installed some Givi 21s so it won't be a problem. I picked up a G9 and it's really sweet, now I want an ultra compact tripod.

Luke
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 03:21 PM

Man, you take some wonderful shots!

Thanks for sharing, you even made me just a little homesick for Maryland. Then I thought about the traffic, humidity and cost of living and that sentiment faded.

Thanks!

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man, Maybe by the time I'm 70 or so I'll get something I can really be proud of.

I agree about the traffic, humidity, congestion, (taxes) etc, but Maryland has some truly outstanding and beautiful land if you know where to look. I just moved out to Finksburg last year after living in Baltimore (Liberty Heights) my entire life. Talk about a difference! Twisties EVERYWHERE, I'm in Versys heaven.

Luke

Last edited by Lukejt; 08-06-2008 at 12:34 AM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the excellent ride report and photos,I visit many Civil war sites inc many in Md.I am in fact going to Antiem later this month and on to Harpers Ferry

AMA EAA STN
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Today I took a quick ride and wound up back in the "mountains" again. I saw a couple water towers on one hilltop, and a couple strange looking radio towers on anther mountain top. I was searching for a sweet vantage point to take pictures of the valley below, so I headed for the towers. I wound up riding right on up to the security gates, barricade and security shack of a "secret" compound. There was double fence all the way around with concertina and barbed wire. Homes and farms butt right up to the fence on all sides. There are no parking and warning signs all over the place. At the gate is a sign stating "No Photographs", so I left the camera in the saddle bags. I even began to feel a bit paranoid because I encircled the entire compound and pulled right up to two of the entrance gates while looking around. IMHO the place isn't very well hidden. The com towers don't look like ordinary commercial towers and they stick out like a sore thumb from miles away (enough to pick my curiosity). The place is called the "Raven Rock Mountain Complex". It's a "secret" underground bunker meant to replace the Pentagon in case of nuclear attack. Last year I stumbled upon Fort Ritchie, which was an army base setup to support Raven Rock. I'll see if I can't dig up some pictures of Fort Ritchie and post them up in a bit, it's a pretty cool complex that has been let go and is being rented out for commercial and residential uses.

I would have taken some pics for you guys, but you know, I like my bunghole the way it is thank you.

Luke
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

I've got a few more Versys pictures taken from around the area while playing Tagorama on Adventure Riders.

Penn Mar, High Rock Road overlook;

The Whistle Stop in Finksburg, home of a horrible train wreck many many years ago;

In Frederick at the home of Roger Brooke Taney, Cheif Justice many many moons ago;

Westminster City Park;

Carter Archer house just off the Susquehanna River;

No Versys, but these are kinda cool, Cape May NJ;

WWII era bunker and anti ship emplacements;

Last edited by Lukejt; 10-09-2008 at 06:26 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Love the cape May shots.

I live in southeast PA. and love the country roads,
without the winters residual gravel of course.

Thank you for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode