FIRST ride of the season, in BC! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
FIRST ride of the season, in BC!

Well..., got up early Thursday, finished shutting down our AZ house, then caught a ride to PHX where our flight departed for Vancouver just after 1100, arriving about 1420.

Had a "NEW" customs experience there where we joined a line to scan our passports and 'Customs Declaration' into a scanner, then handed the Declaration to an agent. Picked up our suitcases, took them to the "connecting-flights" agent, then continued (via another security-check) to the gate for our flight to YLW (Kelowna), departing at 1750, in-the-door at home just after 1900.

Turned the water and heat UP, then prepped the car (battery back in, OFF the stands) so we could use it, AFTER going down town the next day to renew the government-run insurance (a REAL P.I.T.A.!!!) w/ a neighbor.

Got home, put new tags on the 'cage', said "Good bye" to my wife who was going grocery shopping, then prepped the GREEN HORNET. Once the battery was re-installed, the new tags ON, I suited-up and went for a short 'blast', home again by 1430 - to MORE setting-up-the-house jobs....

Looking forward to a GREAT season up in the "Great White North"!

Further on in this thread, I've added my SECOND ride of the season, w/ PICS!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-05-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Welcome back!

Lovin every minute of it!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I suited-up and went for a short 'blast', home again by 1430

In lieu, I'll provide a little snippet to shed a little light on what awaits you...lucky dog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHEzkPY_PA

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Garage
The Snowbird has landed!

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
...In lieu, I'll provide a little snippet to shed a little light on what awaits you...lucky dog! ....
Cough, cough....

Guess WHY we moved here from Alberta four years ago. There, you ride till you get to another province, w/ the "occasional" turn thrown in for good measure.

Here - you can get 'motion-sickness' IF you're prone to it, just from the NUMBER of turns it takes to get to where you can shift gears....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
The Snowbird has landed!
Yup - and planning Dawson City and D2D 2015 in June, via BC 97, BC 16, BC 37 to Watson Lake, then the "Robert Campbell Hwy" - dirt - to intersect the Klondike Hwy near Carmacks, then up YT 2 to Dawson... and points west!

Anyone up to joining in (I tent it every night)?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-29-2015 at 03:39 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
TOO nice and warm for pics....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

SECOND ride of the BC season....

IF you'd just spent half a year riding in the AZ desert, WHERE would you want to ride, as a counterpoint, after returning to BC in March?

Yesterday I left home at noon, rode E onto BC 33, mindful of the sand, etc still littering the roadway, and stopped where the creek had changed its course last year, destroying a house in the process, and took a current pic.

A mile or so further, there is an old (Nash?) in a farmer's field where it ended up some "dark-and-stormy-night",

just off this road

a few miles from this Christmas Memorial

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

BC 33 climbs for several more miles, then a new interchange leads the way to the road up to BIG WHITE, the local BIG ski area.

where 'spring-skiing' is still happening. When you look at how MUCH snow is on these roofs (after a lot of melting)

it gives an idea of how much there was here. I stopped near the welcome sign for this shot

Back down the hill towards BC 33 is this rock that locals have painted up to look like a smoker

and then the lower chair-lift

and a VERY 'squiggly' road below

to 33, then down that hill to see this old barn not too far from the old Nash

then onto the Walker Hill down into Kelowna, Lake Okanagan in this pic

and the start of the city in this one.

I arrived back home after a 140 km (87 miles), four hour ride, having enjoyed a DEFINITE change of scenery from a week ago...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 12:54 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 06:42 AM

FIRST ride of the season, in BC!

Yup - and planning Dawson City and D2D 2015 in June, via BC 97, BC 16, BC 37 to Watson Lake, then the "Robert Campbell Hwy" - dirt - to intersect the Klondike Hwy near Carmacks, then up YT 2 to Dawson... and points west!

Anyone up to joining in (I tent it every night)?[/QUOTE]

Just curious, what are the temps like up there that time of year? It's on my bucket list.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by E327; 04-24-2015 at 06:45 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
BC 33 climbs for several more miles, then a new interchange leads the way to the road up to BIG WHITE, the local BIG ski area.
Now that's more like it!

When I first saw the ski area I thought it was Whistler, but then again I guess a lot of those places use that type of architecture.

Here's a pic from Whistler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0574.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	62913
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post

Anyone up to joining in (I tent it every night)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
Just curious, what are the temps like up there that time of year? It's on my bucket list....
One year ('06) we saw skims of ice on puddles camping at Whitehorse, but other than THAT - the temps have always been pretty decent for me. Some days warm, some hot, some cooler.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode