my LAST ride of the 'season', in Arizona.... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
my LAST ride of the 'season', in Arizona....

Being as how we'll fly back N to BC Thursday, I thought I'd take a 'break' from getting the house ready for our departure, and go for a short (60 mile) ride w/ a buddy on his BMW R1200RT. We headed down AZ 79 to Queen Valley, he was leading, then pulled out to pass a motorhome.

He was "smokin'" (!), so I had the 'hammer-down' behind as we passed the RV, then pulled back into our lane, and MAN was I catching-up!!!

I got HARD on the brakes, then followed him onto the shoulder as that RV re-passed us.... Seemed his ignition key had turned itself OFF as he passed, the revs at red-line in whatever gear, which made things a BIT hairy.

Got that back to normal, then turned onto AZ 60 for a few miles till the turn for Queen Valley, and a leisurely five or six miles, then down this road

just long enough for a couple of pics

then back to the main road, thru Queen Valley, and a twisty road back to the highway, and home, where I got the V ready for summer storage.

I'd put 6,289 miles since the end of October (the LEAST of any season I've spent here in AZ - but ALSO the shortest season, by two to three weeks compared w/ my usual ones),ALL of them on these knobbies I'd installed the 27th October, BIG RED now showing 57,395 miles.

HOPE you had a 'productive' winter TOO....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-29-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Getting warm down there? My parents are about to head north also. Dang snowbirds having all the fun.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

High today 87F, and 95F forecast for Saturday in PHX.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you got to enjoy yourself while here in the states. Have a safe trip and enjoy Canada eh.....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
High today 87F, and 95F forecast for Saturday in PHX.
No thanks. I start to melt at 78.

Have you ever done the Hurley in BC? Not a Versys road from what I can see. Been thinking about bringing my DR on my next trip that way.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:27 PM

Garage
Hey eddie, it's been nice to live vicariously through your desert rides this past long cold miserable Winter. Hope you have a good season back home.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 04:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenr74 View Post
Melt? I'm just starting to get warm. The only time I've been uncomfortable on a ride was through the Mojave desert in July when it hit 115F, 46C. As long as I'm moving I'm fine. But then again, I don't live in a city and have to face traffic jams etc.

I was born in the wrong country but can't afford to move elsewhere- not that there are many other countries I'd like to live in. Most countries suffer from the "too" syndrome; too wet, too expensive, too many people, too much political BS, etc
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:

Have you ever done the Hurley in BC? Not a Versys road from what I can see. Been thinking about bringing my DR on my next trip that way.
Hurley??? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Hey eddie, it's been nice to live vicariously through your desert rides this past long cold miserable Winter. Hope you have a good season back home.
Flew home last evening. Just got the GREEN HORNET 'prepped' and 'plated' for the next seven months, it's forecast a high of 17C, and once I finish here on the forum...

...I'm goin' RIDING!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 09:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
To bad we did not get out much to boost your mileage. I had lots of bikers visit this winter from the frozen North. I have logged 11,500 miles this winter on my Goldwing and about 800 on the Versys. If you are looking for a place to stop on your way to Dawson we have a Lake house 35 miles west of Prince George on Hwy 16. If you want you and your buds can pitch ayour tents.. I will supply the Beer and the burgers
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox09 View Post
To bad we did not get out much to boost your mileage. I had lots of bikers visit this winter from the frozen North. I have logged 11,500 miles this winter on my Goldwing and about 800 on the Versys. If you are looking for a place to stop on your way to Dawson we have a Lake house 35 miles west of Prince George on Hwy 16. If you want you and your buds can pitch ayour tents.. I will supply the Beer and the burgers
Thanks Steve - sounds like a PLAN!!!

PM me (or e-mail) w/ details.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Hurley??? Where?
I'm guessing that is a no.

http://www.hellobc.com/driving-route...road-loop.aspx

http://isurvivedthehurley.com/

I saw it in a ADV report. Going to take my DR up this summer and do a camping loop.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm guessing that is a no.

http://www.hellobc.com/driving-route...road-loop.aspx

http://isurvivedthehurley.com/

I saw it in a ADV report. Going to take my DR up this summer and do a camping loop.
Thanks - I rode it LAST summer and wrote it up on here, w/ some (pretty good, I must say...) pics! Didn't know what it was called besides the Duffey Lake Road.
Here's a link to that thread:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=65610

This IS the Hurley...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-31-2015 at 01:19 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 03:03 PM

That doesn't look so bad. Everything I read had me thinking it would be too much for the Versys. Was going to haul the DR up for a weekend but looks like I could just ride up and make a long weekend out of it.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Using that campground in Lilloet worked out just fine for us - leave the tent up, stuff inside, then go for a 'circular-ride', back in time for "cocktails"....

What's NOT to like?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode