Views:	260
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	60954  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Looks very nice! I saw one for the first time in January at the bike show, and found it looks even better in person.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM

Sweet

2013 Versys1000

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 PM

Kawasaki has done a nice job of redesigning this bike. Great looking bike. The trade magazine test riders sing it's praises as well.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonker View Post
Holy crap this bike is awesome!
The one thing I'm a little concerned about is the bags. They are fine for run of the mill stuff, but when the wife and I go away, I think they may be insufficient. They are 27 liters a piece. The Kaw top box is 47 liters.

Someone posted his new Shad topbox yesterday. You can get them up to 50 liters. And their saddlebags are 43 liters a piece. So we're talking the difference of 35 liters. Not small potatoes. With the stock saddlebags, one bag would be full with just a couple pairs of shoes each.

I wish Kaw would have at least made the bags rectangular instead of getting cute with the angles. My bag liners are rectangular, so the little angled bit of each saddlebag is probably useless if I use them. Now they are probably 20 liters a piece.

The Shad website showed their brackets fitting 2011-2014 V1Ks, so I reckon they'll fit, but I'll wait and see. I hate to pay to replace a perfectly functional part. Maybe I'll just have to get creative mounting the shoes externally.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarleau View Post
Tell us why.
***Updated***

Well

1. I enjoy the '15 redesign over my '12.
2. The power! (There is a lot of it and you can use most of it in the real world.)
3. The seat is great for a stock seat!
4. For a bigger bike it doesn't feel heavy to me.
5. It is big enough for my wife and I to ride 2 up.
6. ABS (I've never had a bike with it. It doesn't make you stop any shorter but it increases stability)
7. Traction control and powers modes! (Once again never had a bike with them before.)
8. Gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be with the bump up to 1000cc
9. It feels smoother overall (engine revs and suspension wise)

I'm a daily motorcycle commuter and don't own a car. The bike is great on the open road, city streets, in traffic and on trips. It is the best do everything bike for me and my riding needs/wants.

I honestly couldn't think of another bike i'd buy other than the new V1000. Kawasaki hit a home run with this bike. I just don't feel it is going to be as popular as it really should be in the USDM.

https://instagram.com/p/0y5f_VOyMF/?taken-by=lvnvphoto

Last edited by Wonker; 04-22-2015 at 08:41 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Well

a. I enjoy the '15 redesign over my '12.
b. The power! (There is a lot of it and you can use most of it in the real world.)
c. The seat is great for a stock seat!
d. For a bigger bike it doesn't feel heavy to me.
e. It is big enough for my wife and I to ride 2 up.
f. ABS (I've never had a bike with it. It doesn't make you stop any shorter for it increases stability)
g. Traction control and powers modes! (Once again never had a bike with it before.)
h. Gas mileage isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be with the bump up to 1000cc

I'm a daily motorcycle commuter and don't own a car. The bike is great on the open road, city streets, in traffic and on trips. It is the best do everything bike for me and my riding needs/wants.

I honestly couldn't think of another bike i'd buy other than the new V1000.

https://instagram.com/p/0y5f_VOyMF/?taken-by=lvnvphoto
Amen, well summed up

2013 Versys1000
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Oh and

10. The slipper clutch is really nice.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Oh and

10. The slipper clutch is really nice.
And for the ignorant... what's a slipper clutch? Wiki tells me it lessens the engine braking when decelerating (cornering, for example). Does that pretty much sum it up? Lessens the felt effects of downshifting so you don't get that jolt as the engine slows the chain?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
And for the ignorant... what's a slipper clutch? Wiki tells me it lessens the engine braking when decelerating (cornering, for example). Does that pretty much sum it up? Lessens the felt effects of downshifting so you don't get that jolt as the engine slows the chain?
That's correct. You don't have to feel that jolt even without a slipper clutch. It requires that you raise the revs by blipping the throttle just before you downshift. This bike requires no such skill. Just kick it down and carry on.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
That's correct. You don't have to feel that jolt even without a slipper clutch. It requires that you raise the revs by blipping the throttle just before you downshift. This bike requires no such skill. Just kick it down and carry on.
And it is a way easier clutch to use in stop and go traffic. Less effort to engage.

"Based on feedback from racing activities, the Assist & Slipper Clutch uses two types of cams (an assist cam and a slipper cam) to either drive the clutch hub and operating plate together or apart.
Under normal operation, the assist cam functions as a self-servo mechanism, pulling the clutch hub and operating plate together to compress the clutch plates. This allows the total clutch spring load to be reduced, which translates to a lighter clutch lever feel when operating the clutch.

When excessive engine braking occurs – as a result of quick downshifts (or an accidental downshift) – the slipper cam comes into play, forcing the clutch hub and operating plate apart. This relieves pressure on the clutch plates to reduce back-torque and help prevent the rear tyre from hopping and skidding. This race-style function is particularly useful when sport or track riding." - From Kawasaki

https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/te..._clutch_e.html

Last edited by Wonker; 04-22-2015 at 03:42 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
damn..I almost don't want to wait to get the '15 now! I was planning on getting it at the end of the season clearance.. but now I want to look at getting into it sooner rather than later. Thanks guys/gals. grmble.

I'll probably still wait, as that just makes more fiscal sense, but I can dream!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll probably still wait, as that just makes more fiscal sense, but I can dream!
Motorcycle ownership isn't about fiscal sense.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Motorcycle ownership isn't about fiscal sense.
I say I'll wait today... I'll quite possibly change my tune before too long.. :P
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
And it is a way easier clutch to use in stop and go traffic. Less effort to engage.

"Based on feedback from racing activities, the Assist & Slipper Clutch uses two types of cams (an assist cam and a slipper cam) to either drive the clutch hub and operating plate together or apart.
Under normal operation, the assist cam functions as a self-servo mechanism, pulling the clutch hub and operating plate together to compress the clutch plates. This allows the total clutch spring load to be reduced, which translates to a lighter clutch lever feel when operating the clutch.

When excessive engine braking occurs – as a result of quick downshifts (or an accidental downshift) – the slipper cam comes into play, forcing the clutch hub and operating plate apart. This relieves pressure on the clutch plates to reduce back-torque and help prevent the rear tyre from hopping and skidding. This race-style function is particularly useful when sport or track riding." - From Kawasaki

https://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/te..._clutch_e.html
ooops, incorrect post.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Uninformed perhaps!
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Bummer !

I like the rudeness of those downshift and that engine braking

Well, I guess I will have to keep my 2009

LOP
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 10:52 PM

Quote:
so you don't get that jolt as the engine slows the chain?
What jolt? If you learn your bike well (or cage for that matter) and rev match, there's zero jolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lours_Polaire View Post
Bummer !

I like the rudeness of those downshift and that engine braking

Well, I guess I will have to keep my 2009

LOP
I think the 44t rear sprocket tamed some of the engine braking a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
What jolt? If you learn your bike well (or cage for that matter) and rev match, there's zero jolt.

I think the 44t rear sprocket tamed some of the engine braking a bit.
Interesting. I've not ridden a V650, but I am used to engine braking. Not in shifting, but afterward, I always used engine braking to set my speed into corners. Not with the V1K. There is virtually no engine braking with this thing. Now I'm stuck using brakes to set my cornering speed. It's a whole new way of riding for me.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

https://instagram.com/p/20_p47uyAJ/?taken-by=lvnvphoto

Reyes Peak tailhead at 7000 + feet as the clouds roll in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode