Fun Trip around Northern Arkansas - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Fun Trip around Northern Arkansas

Today was the last real day of my spring break and I was determined to hit the road to go somewhere, no matter what. I decided to pick a direction and do a RTE, without knowing where I was going to eat. The weather report said it might rain, so I packed my rain gear and hoped for the best. I've never ridden in the rain, but I had recently installed new Roadsmarts and I wanted to try them out.

I left around 10am and choose to head north. My only stipulation was that I would not take any freeways.

Beautiful day.

No Really?

I followed Hwy 107 until it ended, then headed towards Conway. In Conway, I wandered around a bit until I saw a sign saying Harrison, 139 miles. I'd heard Harrison was a good motorcycle destination, so I headed that way.

Along the way, I noticed this van. I just had to get a photo. It belongs to a head shop, lots of awesome 70's memorabilia.

And of course, it started to rain. Apparently, I drove into the end of the storm, so I got rained on all the way up north until I finally turned around and headed back. The whole time I had to keep telling myself, "This is a learning experience". It still sucked.

Up around Leslie, I saw a sign advertising Arkansas black apples. Having always wanted to try one, but never finding them, I pulled in to grab some.

Poor, wet bike.

A cute girl was the only person manning the store.

Me: "I'd like a half dozen of your Arkansas blacks, are these locally grown?"

Her: "No, they're from Alabama."

Me: "..."

The rain let up a few times, so I grabbed a photo here and there.

I arrived in Harrison, it was raining, I wasn't impressed. I couldn't find Hwy 7 and ended up heading in a random direction. The road soon turned into this weird highway/freeway with stop lights every few miles. Annoyed, and with it still raining, I missed the turn to Eureka Springs. Eventually, I ended up in Branson, Mo. I really didn't want to be there. I was starving, wet and tired. The sign post said there was a Fuddruckers around, which sounded great. I hadn't been to one since I lived in Cali, ~15 years ago.

The rain let up, but I never managed to find the Fuddruckers. I settled for Steak n Shake. After recharging, I took some photos by the lake and turned to head home.

Dirty Bike

The lake was about the flood the city.

Who has time to go fishing, there's riding to be done!

I headed the same way back. This time it didn't rain, so I stopped for some photo opportunities that I missed earlier.

These next two photos really made the trip in the rain worthwhile. Around Leslie, during the rains, all the cliffs along the side of the road had cascading waterfalls, some probably 50-60 feet high. I couldn't stop to take any photos, but it was truly beautiful. On the way back, This was the only one that was still going strong.

By this time, it was getting dark, so I only have one more photo.

Gas dogs of Damascus

Once I got back to Conway, I was really tired, so I hit the freeway and headed back to Sherwood.

Overall, I had a great time. I wished it hadn't rained most of the way up, but I will chalk it up to building riding experience. Plus the roadside waterfalls really made it worth the trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 07:29 AM

Northern Arkansas

Hi, next time turn right (east) on hwy 62 and come visit Mountion Home. I have 18,000 miles of back road riding around here in the 5 years I have lived here. There are times when I can ride for 3-4 hours and never see another car. I ride mostly Northern Arkansas and Southern Mo. I am not a fast rider but someone who just cruses around and enjoys the ride. I hardly ever ride the main roads like Hwy 65 or 62.
It is a great place to ride.

Cb
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the advice, I will head that way next time. I'm not a fast rider either, I must of annoyed quite a few cars yesterday, but I wasn't about to risk my life on the wet roads so they could get home faster.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:23 AM

We are going to have fun on the Eureka to Dragon ride! I may head down to Eureka this afternoon with the camera, so stay tuned. I will post pics on the Where did you ride today? and Mid America Versys meet threads. Great to see shots of Highway 65 spots, but cb1313 you and I know there are more cool roads and things to see off the big road!

My Album:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1313 View Post
Hi, next time turn right (east) on hwy 62 and come visit Mountion Home. I have 18,000 miles of back road riding around here in the 5 years I have lived here. There are times when I can ride for 3-4 hours and never see another car. I ride mostly Northern Arkansas and Southern Mo. I am not a fast rider but someone who just cruses around and enjoys the ride. I hardly ever ride the main roads like Hwy 65 or 62.
It is a great place to ride.

Cb
Sent you a message

My Album:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Nice pics! Glad you had a good day.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Glad you got to take a ride, even if it was in the rain. Good job on the post and the pictures. I live in Conway, we need to meet up and do some riding. I've ridden some in the northcentral and a little in the northwest part of the state. Look at the riding at MotorcycleUs.com You can pull up each state and it will show different highway, their length, and the type of riding. Give me post sometimes and we will ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode