NY Winters Suck - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NY Winters Suck

NY is not a pleasant place to be in February. Single digit temperatures and snow prevent riding so I flew out to Southern California to visit my Versys and go for a ride.

I had a great time riding through the canyons around Malibu this week. Weather was perfect and traffic in the canyons was virtually non-existent.

Unfortunately, I'll only be here for a few more days.

I'm not exactly looking forward to going back to the frozen northeast. It will still be a few more weeks before the spring thaw begins.

I envy you guys that live here and can ride these roads anytime you want to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
then why go back? move to the west like the rest of the smart people

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
then why go back? move to the west like the rest of the smart people
Good idea! I am hoping to do one better.... gonna try to move to HAWAII, Alohaaaaa!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage

Unless you are going to post up photos to make us jealous...

If it wasn't for the cost of living, I would love to live where the weather is pleasant all year round.

But here the $$ goes so much further. I probably couldn't even by a one bedroom condo in the San Diego area with what I could sell my mini-ranch for.

Let alone insurance, registration, taxes, etc. etc. I don't know how y'all afford to live on the west coast.

My Versys Travels:

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
NZ is a funny place as it was to 30 c in milford sound last week now they had snow in the summer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_Sound
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

Unless you are going to post up photos to make us jealous...

If it wasn't for the cost of living, I would love to live where the weather is pleasant all year round.

But here the $$ goes so much further. I probably couldn't even by a one bedroom condo in the San Diego area with what I could sell my mini-ranch for.

Let alone insurance, registration, taxes, etc. etc. I don't know how y'all afford to live on the west coast.

It's not so bad if you have everything paid off.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
the weather in New York isn't the only thing that sucks..just sayin'...

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
It's not so bad if you have everything paid off.
I agree. But my paid off here isn't gonna buy much there. Or at least not what I am accustomed to.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM

Garage
Winters only suck in NY if you have no other interests.
I persinally wiuld hate to live in a area where I could ride year round. In the winter I love to ski. I think I would give up the bike before skiing.....
All the people I talk to who hate winter, have nothing to do in winter. If you have a activity for the seasons they all are important.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I persinally wiuld hate to live in a area where I could ride year round. In the winter I love to ski. I think I would give up the bike before skiing.....
All the people I talk to who hate winter, have nothing to do in winter. If you have a activity for the seasons they all are important.

With me i can ride 10 minutes or so to the Ocean with sunny skies or drive 2 hours and go out to ski this time of year here....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

When I retire, I may very well spend the winter months somewhere in the southwest. However, with the majority of my family in NY I'll probably always keep that as a primary residence.

While the winters here in CA are great, I've also been here in the summertime and it can get pretty hot in the desert in July/August. I have to admit, I don't really look forward to riding in the desert in the summer months.

Cost of living in CA seems fairly comparable to what I'm accustomed to in NY. Financially, it would probably work out about the same.

Anyway, I feel fortunate to be able to visit SoCal as often as I do. It's a great way to get a break from the cold and snow. Right now, it's -1 at my house in Upstate NY with a predicted high of 18 today. In CA, it's currently 52 and should get up to about 77 today. It feels like summertime to me.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcycle View Post
When I retire, I may very well spend the winter months somewhere in the southwest. However, with the majority of my family in NY I'll probably always keep that as a primary residence.

While the winters here in CA are great, I've also been here in the summertime and it can get pretty hot in the desert in July/August. I have to admit, I don't really look forward to riding in the desert in the summer months.

Cost of living in CA seems fairly comparable to what I'm accustomed to in NY. Financially, it would probably work out about the same.

Anyway, I feel fortunate to be able to visit SoCal as often as I do. It's a great way to get a break from the cold and snow. Right now, it's -1 at my house in Upstate NY with a predicted high of 18 today. In CA, it's currently 52 and should get up to about 77 today. It feels like summertime to me.

Me and a couple of guys are headed to Newcombs Ranch tomorrow. Will be meeting up at Jay's Shell Station La Canada/Flintridge by 9am and leaving at 9:15 If your in the area...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

The Angeles Crest is a favorite ride of mine so I just may take you up on that offer.

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Till we moved down to AZ for the winter (once I retired), we skied. We lived in Alberta so the skiing in Banff Nat'l Park was the usual, and it was not unusual for me to drive to "Sunshine Mtn", and ski 31,000' vertical at "Goats Eye", the expert terrain, each skiing day. I tried to be first guy UP the hill, LAST guy down.

When we came S I sold or gave away all the gear (four pairs of $1,000 skis...), because I know that in my mind I'd think I was still a good skier, go down a run I USED to ski...

...and 'kill' myself.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
The Angeles Crest is a favorite ride of mine so I just may take you up on that offer.
Well if you see this..You found me..

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning to be there by 9:00. I have a white '13 Versys.

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm planning to be there by 9:00. I have a white '13 Versys.

Good Deal. See Ya There.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not exactly looking forward to going back to the frozen northeast. It will still be a few more weeks before the spring thaw begins.

I envy you guys that live here and can ride these roads anytime you want to.
I passed a little scooter on my way home yesterday in Pleasant Valley. Dude was brave! I have to admit, it's a few weeks away, if you consider 8 weeks a few. I don't mess around until ALL that salt is gone for good. F that junk.

Where in NY are you? We should do a ride this year. I love hitting up the shawangunks and catskills. (I'm in the northern Hudson Valley)

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2015, 08:27 PM

Garage
Good meeting you Mark. Hope you enjoyed the ride even though we got rained on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofnothing View Post
I passed a little scooter on my way home yesterday in Pleasant Valley. Dude was brave! I have to admit, it's a few weeks away, if you consider 8 weeks a few. I don't mess around until ALL that salt is gone for good. F that junk.

Where in NY are you? We should do a ride this year. I love hitting up the shawangunks and catskills. (I'm in the northern Hudson Valley)
I'm near Albany and it would be great to meet up for a ride. I ride down through Columbia, Greene, and Dutchess county all the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode