My mid life crisis at 50 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My mid life crisis at 50

Well I'm nearly 50, so I decided a while back to celebrate/commiserate this date by going to see my brother in Vancouver, and spend 4..6 weeks riding down the west side of the Rockies to San Fransisco and back up the east side,l then back to Vancouver.

I'd originally planned on taking my burnt candy orange Versys to the east coast US and then go for a play, but decided I couldn't be without my bike for the 4 weeks either side of the trip sea freight would demand, and I wasn't rich (or stupid) enough to pay air freight.

After a lot of indecision and umming and ahhing, and failing to track down a bike for sale on this site (understandably most were wary of selling a bike to an unknown, and most didn;t even respond) I've finally got my bike organised for the trip.. its a 2008 Black Versys . Well I enjoy riding a Versys so much be a shame not to . so that means I've got to fettle another Versys

As the crisis point is late April that means being in and around the west coast in May and early June. So if anyone fancies a meet up and go for a days play on the roads you'd recommend then lets plan to meet up during that period.

Its been a long time planning, but now I have the bike organised, I'd better go get some flights its a bit daft but even now I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about the trip and now its for deffo. many people have said its to grandiose, too vague that I'll never do it. but you are only 50 once (although it lasts for 365 days)

as far as planning the trip goes I'm going to use Destination Highways in BC, Washington and Northern California, then a 'Mad Maps' for Oregon and theres a book that covers the eastern side of the Rockies.

for those that can, looking forward to meeting up and putting faces to names
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 AM

I see another epic pictorial travelogue in the making...can't wait to see and hear about your journey.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:01 AM

Pacific West Coast roads

I lived outside Seattle/Tacoma for 21 years (1983-2004) and the North/south roads a limited. I have traveled to Vancover and as far south a California. Interstate I-5 can be traveled the whole way but it is horrible traffic. It is the ONLY expressway between Vancover and California. If you get the chance zoom over to the roads that go along the ocean. You may not travel at expressway speeds but it is a much more pleasent ride. lots of little towns, I was moving to the Oregon coast in 2004 but my Dad passed away in Arkansas so I moved to help my Mom.

Good luck on your trip..... One thing that I always regretted was that I never got to Alaska....while you are up there you may want to jump on a fairy and take a few days up there. I would think our bike would just love the trip ??

Cb

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 AM

What ever you do, don't miss Southern Utah. Start at Moab, get off of I-70 ASAP and head towards the north rim of the Grand Canyon, make sure to see Zion NP, Canyonlands NP, Bryce, Natural Arches NP and about a dozen others I forget.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM

I am supposed to do a ride around southern Utah in July with a group. Having to rent a bike in Phoenix and ride up with a group from Tucson. Haven't been able to find a Versys in Phoenix. The only place I could find a V to rent was in Los Angeles. I will miss the V on this trip.

I hope you have a great trip. You should really enjoy that part of the country. There are plenty of Vs out there so you should be able to meet up with more than a few.

And welcome to the 50 and over crowd! We have more fun than those young punks!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM

My mid-life 50 crisis ride was last summer. I left Cincinnati and looped through West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, through the Adirondacks, stopped by Orange County Choppers, back through Maryland, Virgina, Blue Ridge Parkway, Smokies, Tail of the Dragon, back up through Tenn, Kentucky and home. 3100 miles in 8 1/2 days.

What a great present to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode