Fun day dual sporting with sport-touring tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Fun day dual sporting with sport-touring tires

Short ride, short intro- A ride between Ottawa and Kingston, Ontario.

It looked good in the morning, +2C. Figured that a short run of 5-6hr will be fun. Please ignore the phone quality of these pictures... I usually don't stop for pictures, but there were quite a few questions about tires, and figured that I could try to make a case for sport-touring tires... lol

You know is fun when you see this type of signs

Figured that a small detour is in order - saw a windy road and decided to follow it.

It looked good

but then it turned out like this

I guess sometimes is better to turn around, or maybe not That snow/ice/slushie at times section was awesome... it's so hard to rock back and forth a bike. A reverse gear would've saved quite a bit of sweat there Knobbies would've helped too. I was on BT21s, aired down a bit.

Back to civilisation

Finally made it to a famous road, good for some spirited riding, only to have the rain catch up with me

This is a corner where a friend of mine crashed last year He's better now, almost ready to jump on the bike again- not the same one though, the old one was totalled. It looks a bit different now, the strip on the right is the old road, they took all the corner out (the truck is in the new section).

Lots of sand on this road now, in places one could see the tarmac...

A Versys against some locks in the background

Yeeehaaaaa...

And lastly, a frozen lake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Brrrr... Still looks pretty cold up there! Nice pictures!

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
Brrrr... Still looks pretty cold up there! Nice pictures!
Not too bad...at least daylight has returned!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 01:41 PM

seems nice
crazy ride, unforgiven ride )

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Looks like a "cool" day out riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allriding View Post
That snow/ice/slushie at times section was awesome... it's so hard to rock back and forth a bike. A reverse gear would've saved quite a bit of sweat there Knobbies would've helped too. I was on BT21s, aired down a bit.
Knobbies wouldn't have helped. The ice packs the knobbies almost as fast as it packs the street tires, after that, you're riding a nice slick tire. The only real difference is that with the knobbies, you have the false sense that you'll have traction for a bit longer. Until you end up sitting on the floor next to the bike. DAMHIK.

Gustavo

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

^ Cold is relative The coldest I've been on the bike was -20C, about 0-5F. It's all about acclimatisation, and not riding for a while; clear roads mean that temperatures are ignored

Gustavo, I agree with the knobbies comment, the better equipped you are the farther you get stuck...lol. However, given the well above freezing temperature, the centrifugal force would've dislodged the ice thingy for knobbies when they lost traction. In theory
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 04:19 AM

Nice report allriding. It shows the rest of the world what we have to cope with to feed our addiction. It's been an unusually early start to the season this year, which is just fine, n'est ce pas?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
It's been an unusually early start to the season this year, which is just fine, n'est ce pas?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Nice pics, Allriding.

I always wondered how sport-touring tyres will be in the snow.
Do they grip well? Thought knobbies would be better in the snow.
Thanks, learned something new.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Nice pics, Allriding.

I always wondered how sport-touring tyres will be in the snow.
Do they grip well? Thought knobbies would be better in the snow.
Well, no knobbies for our bikes... plus Gustavo's right, the knobbies would only get you so far.

The sport-touring tires are not made for snow, especially them wide tires. If you look at the snow covered road you can see that the bike chose where to go based on snow consistency. I was aiming forward, but that was it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode