PIMA Air and Space Museum in Tucson - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
PIMA Air and Space Museum in Tucson

My son is visiting from Montreal for a few days, so yesterday we rode two-up on BIG RED to Tucson, down I-10 (......) which took an hour and a half, DESPITE "pushing" the 75 mph speed limit a TOUCH...!

I've been there several times previously, but it's a GREAT museum if you're in the area, covering 80 acres.

One of my disappointments in the RCAF was missing a chance to fly the F-86 Sabre, and imagine my surprise to see an RCAF Sabre (we called them the "Sword" in the RCAF) hanging from the ceiling.

Later I took a pic of Joey in front of a USAF one.

Outside on the desert sands are MANY aircraft from all over the world, and here's a few, starting w/ the B-36 nuclear bomber... w/ a close-up

then the "full-meal-deal"...

For those who care, it had TEN engines: six were "pusher" reciprocating engines, while there was a 'pod' w/ two jet engines near each wing-tip.

Next up is the B-58 Hustler, a supersonic nuke bomber...

The last pic is the RAF's Hurricane fighter. It WAS the biggest part of the "Battle of Britain" w/ the MOST airplanes in action, and the highest number of enemy planes shot down, DESPITE the Supermarine Spitfire getting most of the 'press'.

Both to-and-from the Museum was via I-10, and I can NOT recommend it, if you have any other way to get there!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That's now on my bucket list. I love air museums and could spend days gawking at planes. The USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio is a good choice as is the Smithsonian at Dulles Airport. And, interestingly, there's a good air museum south of the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in the town of Valle.

Oh, and there is also the Owls Head Transportation Museum just south of Rockland in Maine. The great thing about this museum is that every single item is functional. All the planes are flight worthy and all the cars, trucks and motorcycles are fully operational. Several times each year they perform for visitors. Absolutely great.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 01-10-2015 at 07:41 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Love checking out Air Museums... We have March Field Air Museum just a short ride from here...

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Silverfox09
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Love checking out Air Museums... We have March Field Air Museum just a short ride from here...

I have been there. If you go make sure you get take the tour. The guides really know their stuff

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:05 PM

Eddie,

I remembered just now what my USAF aviator father used to say about the B-36. Six turning and four burning. Those of us who are terminally mature might be amused by that.

Arion

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Nice. Thanks for sharing. You Canadians sure do dress different.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Eddie,

I remembered just now what my USAF aviator father used to say about the B-36. Six turning and four burning. Those of us who are terminally mature might be amused by that.
Way back "in-the-day" I was told a story about a B-36 carrying nukes (used the term "Broken Arrow") declaring an emergency due an engine-out (five turning and four burning...?) near a Canadian air force station, and asked the length of its longest runway.

Digesting that this was a Broken Arrow, the controller replied "200 feet...".

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Way back "in-the-day" I was told a story about a B-36 carrying nukes (used the term "Broken Arrow") declaring an emergency due an engine-out (five turning and four burning...?) near a Canadian air force station, and asked the length of its longest runway.

Digesting that this was a Broken Arrow, the controller replied "200 feet...".

Much sharper than USAF controllers. That's a great story.

Arion

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here are a bunch more pics for those who want to see them (there are MANY more planes that I did NOT photograph THIS trip!), including "AEROGEL" - the ONLY gas that is solid at room temps - sorry the explanation is 'sideways', but NEAT stuff....

The first pic is of the Lockheed T-33 (Silverstar or Tbird), the a/c I got my RCAF wings on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091208.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	58786   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091210.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	58794   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091211.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	58802   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091215.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	58810   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091216.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	58818  

Name:	P1091217.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	58826   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091218.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	58834   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091219.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	58842   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091222.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	58850   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091223.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	58858  

Name:	P1091224.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	58866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091226.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	58874   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091227.jpg
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	58882   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091228.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	58890   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091230.jpg
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	58898  

Name:	P1091231.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	58906   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091234.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	58914   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091235.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	58922   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1091237.jpg
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	58930  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Here are a bunch more pics for those who want to see them (there are MANY more planes that I did NOT photograph THIS trip!), including "AEROGEL" - the ONLY gas that is solid at room temps - sorry the explanation is 'sideways', but NEAT stuff....

The first pic is of the Lockheed T-33 (Silverstar or Tbird), the a/c I got my RCAF wings on.
Wow and wow again! I was flipping through your great photos and stopped dead when I came to the B-24 Bungay Backaroo. My father flew B-24s from Bungay during WW II. It's too bad he's no longer around - he would have enjoyed the photo even though it wasn't his aircraft.

He visited England when I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in the late 1960s-early 1970s and we searched for, and found, what remained of RAF Bungay, sometimes also known at RAF Flixton. It seems the village and RAF station names were used interchangeably.

I followed him around what remained of the airfield (building foundations and badly deteriorated runway and taxiways and hard stands) for over an hour without saying a word. He would stop now and again, look around, say something under his breath and then move on before repeating the process several dozen times. He was reliving a time long past and it was his alone to remember. It reminded me of the opening scenes of Twelve O'clock High. It's something I doubt I'll ever forget.

But what does this have to do with Versys motorcycles? Not a bloody thing. Cheers anyway.

Arion

Last edited by Arion; 01-12-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode