Went to the Dragon for a burger today - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Went to the Dragon for a burger today

Bear has the right idea - ride to eat, eat to ride! I've been wanting one of the burgers from Deals Gap for a long time, so I hit the road early this morning to head over to the Dragon. It was pretty cold, a little above freezing in Highlands at a bit over 4,000 feet, and there was still a lot of snow covering the mountains slopes, but the forecast called for sunny skies and temps in the high 50s.
I took Hwy. 64 out of Brevard and climbed west through Cashiers to Highlands. I didn't pass any motorcycles until I reached Main Street in Highlands - there were two 'adventure' bikes parked there. Highlands is a pretty cool little mountain town - today it was literally a 'cool' little town.

Hwy. 64 between Highlands and Franklin is a hoot to ride with great scenery and smooth sweeping curves winding for miles through the spectacular Cullasaja Gorge.

Lake Sequoyah lies just outside of Highlands alongside Hwy. 64. Still iced over, but at least the pulloff wasn't crowded at this time of year.

Not far past the lake is Bridal Veil Falls. The highway once passed behind the falls, but was re-routed years ago.

Here's a look at a typical stretch of the highway as it winds down the Gorge a few miles west of Highlands.

In Franklin, I picked up Hwy. 28, heading north towards Fontana Lake. The pic below shows the Little Tennessee River, far below the highway. Hwy. 28 is a favorite among local riders. It can be part of a great loop that includes the Dragon for visitors to the region.

By the time that I reached Fontana Lake, I was beginning to see a lot of other riders. It was still overcast, but was a lot warmer than it had been earlier in the day. The shot below shows the Great Smokies, with Clingmans Dome being the highest peak on the horizon. The Appalachian Trail winds along the ridgeline on the horizon.

This is my 'old school' shot of the day - I love seeing the old Gold Wings still roaming the country. They never wear out - sort of like the Studebaker of motorcycles. Like the Studebaker, they're also deceptively powerful. This guy had his ride tricked out for long distance riding - the real deal.

And finally, I got my burger and it was just as good as I remembered. Dang, they make 'em right at the Gap. There was a few bikes on hand, maybe 10 cruisers and about 20 sport bikes. I was surprised, since a warm day at this time of the year usually brings out in droves. At any rate, it was a terrific ride of about 270 miles through the icy but slowly warming mountains. Bring on springtime!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
sure looks wounderfull, hope you enjoyed your burger and thanks for the images. clean and nice looking country.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 AM

We went to TWO in Suches for a burger yesterday. Hwy 60 above Suches was a mess...tons of gravel. Still quite a bit of snow on the northern slopes all over north GA. There were a lot of bikes at TWO. started out a little cool, but turned into a great day to ride (except for the gravel). We have rain predicted for the next few days, so maybe it will clean things up a bit.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 07:11 AM

Pics of the burger?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

I had the best of intentions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfaller View Post
Pics of the burger?
...but the thing looked so good that I had it devoured before remembering to take a pic of it. Guess that I'll need to go back to get another one.

I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in the Smokies and had driven by the Gap for years without knowing that they had some really good food there. I would usually go to Fontana Village instead for what was inevitably some pretty dismal fare.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 AM

Nice report! I'm gonna have to get out there soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode