ANOTHER desert ride, THIS time - THREE Vs... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
ANOTHER desert ride, THIS time - THREE Vs...

We set-up a desert ride (last week) for yesterday, trying to give the desert time to dry out from all the rain/ snow we got New Years Eve, New Years Day.

Three of us on "Vs" - me on BIG RED, an '08 Versys on knobbies, Silverfox09's blue '09 Versys on ContiMotion street rubber, and Ron's black V... (a 'fairly recent' Suzuk V-strom...) on Hydenau DS rubber so I guess you can say that we were riding three Vs....

Yesterday was forecast to get to 75F (FIRST really warm day in a couple of weeks), and it started a bit windy, and definitely warmer, as we left my place at 1100. Our route took us to the historic town of Florence (voted the "most historic American town" by... someone...), then S to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy a few miles out of town, then E about 11 or 12 miles to the start of the dirt road. After a couple of miles you get to a crossroad, w/ the "Barkerville Road" heading S, which we did. That winds thru some fairly flat desert, and the condition of the road, rutted but DRY, told us we'd made a good decision NOT doing this Monday....

After around 20ish miles we turned into the desert, E of the "Barkerville Road" for a 100 yards, and parked the Vs - two REAL ones, and a 'pretender'......for a lunch break beside the "Tuffy tree" I wrote about on the Christmas Eve ride, my first pic. Lunch over, chatting done, we saddled-up and rode back to the road, then S about half a mile to another intersection (this one to the dirt "Freeman Road") where we turned E and continued till we arrived at the river crossing of the San Pedro River, which we crossed for pics, (there's one HELLUVA hole in that puddle to the left of the first river pic, which I found out as I was in front, then warned the others to avoid......) then did a "180" and re-crossed it (for more pics......) to head N on MORE dirt to the private road (NO TRESPASSING signed) thru the river again (about 12" deep here) and onto paved AZ 77, a left turn to Winkelman, then ANOTHER left onto AZ 177, for about 13 miles. Soon a sign saying "Florence-Kelvin Hwy" pointing left, W, had us heading along several more miles of pavement before the dirt commenced again.

Of course we again crossed the N end of the Barkerville Road (after 15 miles or so), and then had to do some "trials-riding" around construction equipment that was installing new culverts, crossing a fresh 12" berm of dirt put up by their grader which even the street-tired V had NO problem w/...!

At 1500 we again rode onto asphalt - 65 miles of dirt having gone under our tires w/ NO mishaps......! There's a pretty rare "crested Saguaro" near there, so the last pic is of the three "Vs" and two out-of-three riders in front of it.

Another 30 minutes and we turned into my drive, 133 miles done, 65 of 'em dirt, for 49%!

A good time was had by all!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071197 copy.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	58610   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071199 copy.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	58618   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071200 copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	58626   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071201 copy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	58634   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071202 copy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	58642  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071203 copy.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	58650   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071204 copy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	58658   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1071206 copy.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	58666  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-08-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Looks like it east great fun. What does one call a group of three Vs? A gaggle, a herd, a pride, a clump, a Vic?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Awesome thanks for sharing. Looks like a blast. I wish we had dirt roads like that here in Florida.

2013 Kawasaki Versys- Blue/Black
2014 Honda Grom- Red/Black
2014 Yamaha Grizzly 350 Blue/Black
2012 Kawasaki KLX250s Red/Black

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Awesome thanks for sharing. Looks like a blast. I wish we had dirt roads like that here in Florida.
Hah! If you did they would be full of lost senior citizens who should have stopped driving long ago. Sure seemed that way in Tampa anyway.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:30 PM

Very cool! Man, I wanna live where i don't have to ride 2-3 hours to do that!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 PM
MTS

Well done Eddie!

I really like those off paved road trips!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
Very cool! Man, I wanna live where i don't have to ride 2-3 hours to do that!
From my drive-way to the start of the dirt on the Florence-Kelvin Hwy is, maybe, 35 minutes.

. .

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode