Route 66 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Route 66

Any of you ever done the route 66 with your bike. Is it worth the trip or is it more hype than anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Funny you should ask, I was wondering the same thing. I posted a suggestion to do it on the relay thread, but no interest I guess there. Anyway, since I live on Route 66 in Springfield, MO, I would quite naturally recommend it. I have done many routes on it, car, bicycle, and motorcycle, but never farther than Kansas or Missouri. It is the best casual cruising you could ask for, with all different kinds of roads and scenery. I can't speak for the entire route, but in Missouri it is well signed with Scenic Route 66 roadsigns at every intersection, so it is easily followed. But having said that, occasionally getting lost makes it all the more interesting! I would be happy to help anyone interested in making their way thru the area, maps, lodging suggestions, etc. and of course I would want to ride it. We have lots of tourist attractions here, most noteably Branson and Bass Pro shops. We also have an active Harley Davidson, Southwest Sportbike club, Goldwing, and a BMW club here. Sadly, only a couple of Versys owners, and to date I have not seen another V rider from Springfield, although a couple are on the forum. For a slice of Amercana, you can't beat nostalgic Route 66. "Get your kicks, on Route 66"

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post
Any of you ever done the route 66 with your bike. Is it worth the trip or is it more hype than anything else?
Get it before it's gone I guess. I've done it with my bike once and many times by car when I was working in New Mexico in the '90's. Before you start you should read up on the history to get an idea what it's about. Rt.66 is no longer continuous as sections of it are abandoned or spliced into new sections of highway. I love the road so to see any part of it is fascinating to me, real Americana, but I'm sure you'll get many opposing views. I would rather ride Rt.66 than I-40 if I were in the area but would I make it a ride destination? I remember stopping off at Niagara Falls while passing through Canada en route to Michigan and saying "jeez, I'm glad I didn't take a trip for the sole purpose of seeing the falls". It's kinda like that IMHO.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM

I've ridden lots of the AZ portions of it, but like blipco said, it is no longer a single route, it's broken into sections with long stretches of highway in between. Besides that though, it does seem that it would be a worthwhile experience, touring usa old school style.
if you guys get it going and make it as far as AZ let me know, there is some cool stuff around here.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 02:53 PM

I agree it is broken up here too, most of the original pavement(at least here) is concrete slabbed which is not good now. Fortunately, those stretches are few and far between, most has been paved over with asphalt.

I think the V would be a perfect bike to try to ride these sketchy areas and smooth enough to make time if you have the idea to ride it all the way. Otherwise, I think it might be more nostalgic on a Harley, Indian or old Triumph, and the old timers appreciate those motorcycles.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:06 PM

If you do make it to AZ you'll probably stop in Seligman...

Stop at the Snow Cap, eat some Dead Chicken, then relax in my Garden.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0015.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	945.5 KB
ID:	5564   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0014.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	930.7 KB
ID:	5565  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0021.jpg (345.3 KB, 39 views)

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

Last edited by jmlmjmjm; 02-22-2010 at 05:08 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Me and my kids will do "66" in four years when the youngest graduates high school. The kids will sell their bikes and fly back to SC , me and the wife will take "50" back if all works out. I'll be 50 and that will be the start of my retirement [hopefully]

81 Honda CB750F with Jupiter sidecar, 82 Honda CB750F, 86 Yamaha Radian, 87 BMW K100RS, 2002 Honda XR 200R, 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250, 2009 Green Versys, 2010 Kawasaki Vukcan 900 Custom
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM

I would love to ride Rt66 also...I will someday. I've been on parts of it through the years clear to Calif., but on, and off of it (a lot on Rt40).

'15 DL1000
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:40 AM

I drove RT 66 from williams AZ. to just near lake havasue...a great stop was Oatman AZ...about 100 miles give or take..great ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode