GoPro Hero 4 vs Drift Ghost-S and another trip up Khao Krajom - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
GoPro Hero 4 vs Drift Ghost-S and another trip up Khao Krajom

This trip was also a comparison between the Gopro Hero4 silver and Drift Ghost - S built-in mic sound and picture quality.

On the way up the drift was used on the helmet while the Gopro caught the rear action. On the way down they were reversed.

With my new Gopro Hero 4 silver and a new set of Pirelli MT60s Corsa my friend and I decided to take another trip for me, but a first for him on his Dunlop Sportmax up Khao Krajom. We decided to camp for the night. The original plan was not to reach the peak but to take a right turn before the water-crossing not knowing where it would lead. After tackling the first section of bumpy rain carved mounds scattered with baked dust we reach a resting point and took a minute to enjoy the scenery before taking on the first ruble and rocky section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JRLXoZC2bQ

The effects of the bee sting can be seen at 9:00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

After about a 40 minute run we reached what is about the halfway point of the climb. The original plan was to go no further and take a chance on a right turn just before the water-crossing through the jungle which I spotted on my last trip here. Not knowing where it ventured to we took a chance rather than the steep climbs that lay ahead.

As we trailed through the arched jungle trees that formed a tunnel, I rode a narrow path with a drop to my left about 30-40ft into a rocky stream. Their wasn't enough room to put the stand down so I lay the bike on it's side on a banking as I didn't want to ride any further before inspecting the path ahead. We both decided it was too risky for these bikes and weight and decided to go back but there was no room to maneuver the bike, so we lay down on its side and spin it around before Luke was attacked by a Dtuar Thor Bee which are nasty big fookers. Luke in retaliation did what only can be described as an attack by a Morris Dancer on acid! I pissed myself when I saw the video. After a quick chat we decided to head back to the water-crossing to take on the rest of the climb!

Fortunately, the rainy season was over so the obstacle facing Luke was the shale and gravel with the limited grip he had, but taking things steady and a bit of team work we knew we could tackle it easily. After crossing a broken footbridge with mountainous and jungle views, we plodded on.

Last edited by BKKPhil; 12-20-2014 at 02:21 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

We continued for about 30 mins more. I plowed up the hills and through the gravel with ease. The MT60s really did their job and a massive improvement on the Scorpions. Luke was a little more apprehensive on his Dunlops. Letting out 10-12lbs of air helped but not much but he did a great job getting up, and more difficult, down.
We eventually reached the top after a good run from Bangkok and a 2 hour trip up the mountain with breaks. We were greeted by a few 4x4 enthusiasts and a couple who cooked us dinner and attended to Luke's bee sting. Dark was coming fast so we set up camp.

Made a change to have a clear view of the stars. Cassiopeia above

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

We woke to the next morning from the fresh and cool night before. The sky was just breaking with a red tint in the clouds.

But as the sun started to break through we realized how high we had climbed with the view of the lower mountains as the clouds covered the tops like a cotton blanket.

Tired, with no sleep from the snoring of my neighbor next door, we headed back down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JRLXoZC2bQ
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:18 PM

Wow! I watched the video, what an adventure ride!! Thanks for sharing.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Very nice. But did I miss something? Do you have pictures with the Drift Ghost S?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
Very nice. But did I miss something? Do you have pictures with the Drift Ghost S?

From the start of the video to the top of the mountain the Drift was on the helmet providing front view. One with the noisy wind noise.

Basically, anything with wind noise even at walking speed is the drift.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 AM

The drift does a nice job of recording. I like that helmet placement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode