Hi guys. New Versys owner here. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys. New Versys owner here.

Hi everybody

Just signed up for the board, so thought I'd check in. I'm already on a whole bunch of other boards too, but I thought I'd definitely join this one too since its Versys-specific.

Bought my Versys on New Years Day from a dealer on the other side of the state. Its an 09 with 1,600 miles on it, and I got it for $4,000 even. I even got the dealer to trailer it and meet me half-way! Previous owner put on a givi windscreen and frame sliders, and then traded it in on a big VTX. I've liked the Versys since it came out, but you never see them for sale used. I guess partly because they don't sell that many around here, and partly because people who buy them probably know what they're getting into and don't turn them around so fast.

Definitely nice to have a new bike to ride, because my Ducati 1098 has been in the shop since Thanksgiving when it got knocked over in a parking lot by an old grandma in a Lexus SUV. I thought the bike was going to be totaled based on the prices of the OEM Ducati stuff, but turns out her insurance is paying to fix it. I'm just waiting on friggin plastics from Italy now.

Anyhow, just saying hi. Here's a crummy pic of my new toy (hasn't been nice enough outside to take good pics):

Here's my Duc that got injured, and my track bike that I just sold this month:

EDIT:
Got a good new non-cameraphone pic

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

Previous: 04 GSXR600, 03 CBR600RR, 00 R6, 08 Ninja 250R, 05 Ninja 250R

Last edited by LessPeople_MoreRobots; 01-21-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Welcome aboard, good luck with your new ride
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM

hello and welcome ..... glad to see another Florida V

09' Versys "Mean Green my 3 year old immediately dubed it"
07' H-D FLHP Road King (not mine but drive it hard)
2001 FZ-1 (sold)
1998 Murader 800 (sold)
1992 Yamaha Seca (sold)
1988 Suzuki Savage 650

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard!! Nice collection you have there...

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:30 PM

I'm lovin' that 10-9-8...yellow Ducks rock! (Nearly as much as red Versi!)

Welcome to the forum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:06 AM

Welcome, you got a bargain!!!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 AM

LessPeople_MoreRobots,

Congrats on a good buy. Have a Great time riding..

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks everybody.

A good friend of mine just got suckered into the touring thing too and bought a VStrom 1000 this week decked out in Pelican cases. The plan is to ride to Indy this year for MotoGP. Now to find a Pelican setup of my own...

Current: 2008 Ducati 1098, 2009 Kawasaki Versys, 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2006 Mazda MX-5

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPeople_MoreRobots View Post
Now to find a Pelican setup of my own...
That is easy - one of the members of the group has a site with them already fitted for the Versys http://cariboucases.com

I wanted to buy these, but my bike came with the standard Givi setup. As my signature says - I want the best.

Cheers

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM

Welcome. I think you will like the Versys. If you get south of Sarasota let me know if you want to ride with another V. Have about 5K miles on my V now and have added all the touring stuff.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 AM

With that collection of bikes, your choice for a Versys says a lot for the model. I really fell in love with the new 796 hypermotard, but more money than I wanted to spend, and probably more bike.

I just got the exact same bike a week before Christmas. It's going to get painted black like the 2010 model. I'm really pleased with how the bike rides and performs. I sold my V-Strom 1000 about 4 years ago.

Some have called it a mini-multistrada.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
With that collection of bikes, your choice for a Versys says a lot for the model. I really fell in love with the new 796 hypermotard, but more money than I wanted to spend, and probably more bike.
Heh, thanks. I can admit it, I'm a Ducati fanboy. But you're right, they can be downright illogical at times. If it were my only bike, I'd have to think twice. Price of parts, availability, service, etc. But wow, once you hit the starter and take off, it makes it all worthwhile.

Quote:
I just got the exact same bike a week before Christmas. It's going to get painted black like the 2010 model. I'm really pleased with how the bike rides and performs. I sold my V-Strom 1000 about 4 years ago.
Yeah, I'm curious to know how you like it compared to the Vstrom 1000. A buddy of mine just bought one last week, mainly because he didn't want to spend the money on a BMW GS, didn't want the maintenance interval of a Multistrada, and he thought the Versys would be underpowered. Personally, I don't find that the Versys is underpowered for its intended purpose (although a 1000 would be nice of course).

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
Welcome. I think you will like the Versys. If you get south of Sarasota let me know if you want to ride with another V. Have about 5K miles on my V now and have added all the touring stuff.
Hey, where in FL are you? I've got tons of friends around here that ride, and I'm actually the admin of the SarasotaRiders.net forum.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
>snip

Yeah, I'm curious to know how you like it compared to the Vstrom 1000. A buddy of mine just bought one last week, mainly because he didn't want to spend the money on a BMW GS, didn't want the maintenance interval of a Multistrada, and he thought the Versys would be underpowered. Personally, I don't find that the Versys is underpowered for its intended purpose (although a 1000 would be nice of course).
The BMW was on my short-list as well, but the new 800cc one they call a 650 (dorks). The 1200gs is just too much bike for what I wanted.

The motor feel on the versys compared to the v-strom 1000 is surprisingly similar, the bigger bike just has a lot more on the top end. The bigger bikes will cruise two up with luggage at over a 100 easy. And it's a way heavier bike, so the lightness and 17" front of the versys makes it seem a lot more agile, and I've slowed down a lot in my old age - 80-85 is fast enough. I thought I would dual sport the vstrom a lot more than I did. I think I had it offroad once or twice. My dream was to ride baja to Cabo but that just never came to pass. And I have a KTM dirtbike so my 'roadbike' stays on the road. The versys was just a natural progession. I looked hard at the wee-strom but it just seemed as bulky as the bigger one. And they're fugly

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Hey, where in FL are you? I've got tons of friends around here that ride, and I'm actually the admin of the SarasotaRiders.net forum.
I'm in S. Ft Myers. I ride the roads East of Sarasota occasionally. I have found curves out that way. Some good ones N.E. of Arcadia too. The loop around Okeechobee makes a good day trip too.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwr302 View Post
I'm in S. Ft Myers. I ride the roads East of Sarasota occasionally. I have found curves out that way. Some good ones N.E. of Arcadia too. The loop around Okeechobee makes a good day trip too.
Oh okay, cool. Yeah we ride those roads out east of town all the time.

Have you ever been to Fuel Cafe in Sarasota? A friend of ours (Dex is a CCS racer with a Ducati SportClassic 1000) opened it a couple years ago, and its the defacto hangout for us. You can stop by any day of the week and find people willing to head out on a ride. Next time you're up this way, you should stop in.

My girlfriend is from Ft Myers, and we end up down there for an afternoon or something about once every month or two. I like the city a lot actually. I bought the Duc from the dealer down there.

Last edited by LessPeople_MoreRobots; 01-19-2010 at 10:49 AM.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The BMW was on my short-list as well, but the new 800cc one they call a 650 (dorks). The 1200gs is just too much bike for what I wanted.

The motor feel on the versys compared to the v-strom 1000 is surprisingly similar, the bigger bike just has a lot more on the top end. The bigger bikes will cruise two up with luggage at over a 100 easy. And it's a way heavier bike, so the lightness and 17" front of the versys makes it seem a lot more agile, and I've slowed down a lot in my old age - 80-85 is fast enough. I thought I would dual sport the vstrom a lot more than I did. I think I had it offroad once or twice. My dream was to ride baja to Cabo but that just never came to pass. And I have a KTM dirtbike so my 'roadbike' stays on the road. The versys was just a natural progession. I looked hard at the wee-strom but it just seemed as bulky as the bigger one. And they're fugly
That's good to hear. I wanted something slightly bigger, and more comfortable to ride distance, but I didn't want to go so far as to get a tank thats too far from the sportbike feel. If the Vstrom feels much heavier, then I'm glad I got what I did.

I'm with you, the thought of taking an advrider.com-type excursion cross country always sounds awesome, but in reality it'll probably never happen. I know I'd never need the dual-sport capabilities, and I'm happy with street riding.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Oh okay, cool. Yeah we ride those roads out east of town all the time.

Have you ever been to Fuel Cafe in Sarasota? A friend of ours (Dex is a CCS racer with a Ducati SportClassic 1000) opened it a couple years ago, and its the defacto hangout for us. You can stop by any day of the week and find people willing to head out on a ride. Next time you're up this way, you should stop in.

My girlfriend is from Ft Myers, and we end up down there for an afternoon or something about once every month or two. I like the city a lot actually. I bought the Duc from the dealer down there.
Thankx for the info on Fuel Cafe. I will make it a point to have lunch there on my next ride up that way. I too have dropped a few bucks at the dealership where you got your Duc. Last purchase was a K1300GT. It was a rocket and I loved it but too heavy for my old back to push around the shop.
Been riding since the 60's and its catching up to me. The light weight of the V will allow me to keep riding. Or at least thats the plan.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode