ATYC Versys Smiley - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
ATYC Versys Smiley

Or ATYC Vs. Smiley. I'll save you the suspense, Smiley won. Hands down.

Me and Smiley are practically neighbours, and after several failed attempts to line up schedules, we were finally able to meet up for a ride today. We arranged to meet at 1pm, but the day was so nice I set out alone at 0930hrs for a back roads and gravel ride to A Vicious Cycle in New Dundee, ON.

About 40kms into it, I stopped to fill up. Only about 10 degrees C when I left home, but already I was able to peel off a layer and switch to Summer gloves. The sun was shinning and not a cloud in the sky.

BUT, it's the first day of Fall, and the colours are starting to change...

The big clear sky from the top of Cherry Hill:

Interesting planters on the roadside in Bright:

The first thing I noticed on arriving at A Vicious Cycle was that they are moving/expanding to the space next door in the plaza. That's good news for them as business must be doing well. The bad news is that empty space used to be the diner I planned on having breakfast in today.

I spent a little "kid in a candy store" time inside their shop before I selected a Pyramid fender extender - $45.20 taxes in. (The DIY one I made this Summer refused to stay curved and/or attached.)

The loss of the neighbouring diner meant a pre-packed butter tart and sugar free Red Bull would have to serve as my fuel for the next leg of the trip.

I spent about 45minutes dodging trucks on HWY 401 on my way to meet Smiley and his orange Versys.

As soon as he pulled in and I got a look at his well weather faded riding jacket, I knew that it was going to be a good ride.

We exchanged some mutual observations about each other's modifications on the Versys. It's impossible not to admire the exposed and polised header pipes on Smiley's V. And off we went, with Smiley in the lead.

Most of the guys I ride with are cruiser riders, and have less than 5 years experience. I generally lead the way and relish the opportunity to widen the gap whenever a curve appears.

Today was a whole different story. Smiley is a most spirited rider who schooled me on many roads. It was a total blast having someone to chase for a change and I had a hoot the whole ride. I even learned a few new and interesting area roads.

We stopped for a coffee in Port Burwell and exchanged some stories. Then I chased him once again as far as Belmont where we said "see you later" after 170km ride.

I made it home at 5, and the sun was still beaming. I felt like I could go a few hours more. But alas, it had been 7.5 hrs already. A total run today of 425kms over gravel, backroads, superhighway and chasing Smiley through some twisty stuff. Now, I have a fender extender to install...

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Or ATYC Vs. Smiley. I'll save you the suspense, Smiley won. Hands down.

Me and Smiley are practically neighbours, and after several failed attempts to line up schedules, we were finally able to meet up for a ride today. We arranged to meet at 1pm, but the day was so nice I set out alone at 0930hrs for a back roads and gravel ride to A Vicious Cycle in New Dundee, ON.

About 40kms into it, I stopped to fill up. Only about 10 degrees C when I left home, but already I was able to peel off a layer and switch to Summer gloves. The sun was shinning and not a cloud in the sky.

BUT, it's the first day of Fall, and the colours are starting to change...

The big clear sky from the top of Cherry Hill:

Interesting planters on the roadside in Bright:

The first thing I noticed on arriving at A Vicious Cycle was that they are moving/expanding to the space next door in the plaza. That's good news for them as business must be doing well. The bad news is that empty space used to be the diner I planned on having breakfast in today.

I spent a little "kid in a candy store" time inside their shop before I selected a Pyramid fender extender - $45.20 taxes in. (The DIY one I made this Summer refused to stay curved and/or attached.)

The loss of the neighbouring diner meant a pre-packed butter tart and sugar free Red Bull would have to serve as my fuel for the next leg of the trip.

I spent about 45minutes dodging trucks on HWY 401 on my way to meet Smiley and his orange Versys.

As soon as he pulled in and I got a look at his well weather faded riding jacket, I knew that it was going to be a good ride.

We exchanged some mutual observations about each other's modifications on the Versys. It's impossible not to admire the exposed and polised header pipes on Smiley's V. And off we went, with Smiley in the lead.

Most of the guys I ride with are cruiser riders, and have less than 5 years experience. I generally lead the way and relish the opportunity to widen the gap whenever a curve appears.

Today was a whole different story. Smiley is a most spirited rider who schooled me on many roads. It was a total blast having someone to chase for a change and I had a hoot the whole ride. I even learned a few new and interesting area roads.

We stopped for a coffee in Port Burwell and exchanged some stories. Then I chased him once again as far as Belmont where we said "see you later" after 170km ride.

I made it home at 5, and the sun was still beaming. I felt like I could go a few hours more. But alas, it had been 7.5 hrs already. A total run today of 425kms over gravel, backroads, superhighway and chasing Smiley through some twisty stuff. Now, I have a fender extender to install...
Yes, that was my experience when I rode with him last year, ended up in Port Dover, that reminds me, I need to head over there and get a Motion Pro chain alignment tool, was there a week ago, they were delayed in coming in, said would be in this Monday.
It was nice not to need to think of a route, plus some really good twisties.
Did you get a chance to see his bike lift?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Did you get a chance to see his bike lift?
No, but I heard about it. Sounds like a great device... and a little bit dangerous! With another week of good weather forecasts ahead maybe we'll have a shot at another ride, get some more local members on board.

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM

Garage
Let the good times roll
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
No, but I heard about it. Sounds like a great device... and a little bit dangerous! With another week of good weather forecasts ahead maybe we'll have a shot at another ride, get some more local members on board.
Actually the lift is extremely well made, including several safety features, much like a car hoist, each height adjustment can be locked in place, bike is held with ratchet tie downs.

As to rides, I am available next Friday, Saturday.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 01:46 AM
MTS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Actually the lift is extremely well made, including several safety features, much like a car hoist, each height adjustment can be locked in place, bike is held with ratchet tie downs.
It's not the lift that is dangerous, it's me! I told ATYC an embarrassing story about the time I tried to roll my Concours backwards off the lift while seated on the saddle. Back wheel down the ramp, fine, then the front drops off the ramp, I try to dab a foot down to correct things and the bike falls off to the side, pinning me against the wall. Nobody home, neighbours live too far away to hear me and my dog is no help at all. Should have fired my dog, hasn't he heard of Lassie?

About 45 minutes later a friend stopped by and rescued me. I'll never live that one down!

Onewizard, if I'm doing a tire change or similar maintenance, I roll the bike onto the lift and then use a paddock stand to raise the rear end. I still use the tie-downs for added security.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 AM

Garage
I enjoyed riding with you ATYC and glad that you had fun, likewise our ride last time onewizard. We should try to get a few more locals from this forum out.
There are some not too bad roads around here, just need to put in some time on boring roads in between. And heads up everyone, the deer are getting really active and farm harvesting is getting underway too.
I won't be able to ride here until November as I'm heading out to BC soon and won't return until end October. Sure will miss my V out there.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
...I won't be able to ride here until November as I'm heading out to BC soon and won't return until end October. Sure will miss my V out there.
RENT something, 'cause once you see the riding out here....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 03:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
RENT something, 'cause once you see the riding out here....

Oh yeah, I know about the riding out there. I rode some amazing roads in BC back in '04. I basically rode a north-south pattern zig-zagging my way from Alberta to the coast, I used the Destination Highways guide plus some uncharted "instinct" rides. (read:ignore the guide)

Problem is; do I haul all my riding gear (big $$ with latest airline tariffs on luggage)? plus can I rent/ride/organize in short notice (be there Saturday) without offending family/friends awaiting my visit?

Instinct says "screw it, they know that you are a motorcycle addict, so just DO IT.

Recommendations for bike rentals?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
This place in Kelowna - scroll down past the H-Ds to a V-strom....

http://www.mcscoots.com/motorcycles.html

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode