Ever leave with no destination? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ever leave with no destination?

I have a week off in early October, and I'm thinking about a "nowhere to go" ride. As I live on the Texas coast, the first day will likely take me north into eastern Oklahoma or western Arkansas (have ridden these areas numerous times over the years). After that, I'm thinking about flipping a coin each evening, once I find a room (sorry, not the camping type). Wife can track me on my iphone, I am blessed with enough money for the ride, and i've made solo trips in the past. The only difference is that I have always carefully mapped out a very organized route.
I'm thinking about five days of riding.
I'm not really looking for suggestions of where to go. That will be the appeal of doing this in the first place. I am more interested in someone else's experience with this set up, outside of a departure and return day.
Anyone ever strike out, without a game plan? Did you regret not planning a route? Any lessons learned, or things you would do differently next time?
Thanks

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 01:36 PM

Garage
Ever leave with no destination?

Yup, all the time. I often say when I'm riding: "Just because I don't know where I am right now doesn't mean I'm lost"

As long as you've got a map in your bag, gear for the weather, some tools on board, some cash in your pocket (and a credit card for just in case) it should be a fun adventure. I hope you have a great trip!

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 02:43 PM

For my trip I know at least the countries that I want to visit but I do plan on the go (especially hostel booking for each night so that I don't commit to anything else)....the only thing that I prepare for in advance is the doggy areas and black zones to avoid...other than this I am a bohemian on a bike...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:00 PM

For my cross country rides I don't do much in the way of route planning. I just know that I'm headed toward CA. The exact route is never known ahead of time. I do try to avoid riding through hours of rain, 100+ degree temps, and other nasty weather.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 03:17 PM
NYG

"Not all who wander are lost."

Sounds like a great idea. I can't offer any tips, but the trip sounds fun.

Mike
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Depending where the hotels are located, I would suggest starting and ending your days early so you don't find yourself without a room. I like to stop by 3:00 PM, shower, and then have a nice meal or explore the local area a little.

Sometimes I put in a location in my GPS as a goal but then turn off the route on a whim and let the GPS recalculate.

Sometimes, mid afternoon I will decide where I am going to stay and reserve a room with my smartphone.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:39 AM

Wow, no plan? To a certain extent, I envy someone like that. Personally, I always have a plan. I ALWAYS have a hotel reservation so at least I KNOW I will have a place to sleep.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:04 AM

Avoid riding into dusk hours so as to avoid deer strikes, and head towards civilization so you can get a room!

2014 Valkyrie 1800
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.
I pack light. Probably carry less stuff for a week, than most bring on a day ride. Got tired of coming home with three quarters of the stuff unused. Not knocking those that bring along their Keurig and ironing board but, I realized a long time ago that unpacking and repacking that **** gets very old, very quick. Riding along with pots and pans swinging from your side cases, and a mountain of bags and bungee cords may look cool but, I leave that stuff to the covered wagons and VW van types.
-Tire plug kit, small bicycle hand pump, mini can of chain lube.
-I wear spandex compression tights and shirt under my riding gear, so they get washed in the sink nightly, and are dry by morning. One pair of jeans, daily socks, a few T-shirts, toothbrush and deodorant, sneakers.
-Roadside assistance on my insurance policy.
-Concealed carry, making sure to check reciprocity agreements with other states.
-Anything else can be purchased and discarded along the way.

-much peace

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I spent nearly three months in 2003 traveling with only two destinations loosely in mind, visit my son in Vancouver and daughter in LA. In between was 20,000 km of unplanned riding to areas that I would only decide on in the motel the night before. Many days I changed my mind and deviated from the loose plan. Best trip ever. It's my preferred method of solo riding.

I wholly agree about the packing lightly: we all tend to drag too much crap around that we think we will need, but never use. Don't be a slave to possessions is my personal rule, and take only 1/3 of what you think you need.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
I spent nearly three months in 2003 traveling with only two destinations loosely in mind, visit my son in Vancouver and daughter in LA. In between was 20,000 km of unplanned riding to areas that I would only decide on in the motel the night before. Many days I changed my mind and deviated from the loose plan. Best trip ever. It's my preferred method of solo riding.

I wholly agree about the packing lightly: we all tend to drag too much crap around that we think we will need, but never use. Don't be a slave to possessions is my personal rule, and take only 1/3 of what you think you need.
Excellent!

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i do that about 70% the time i ride ill set off go down random roads i dont know, ride and ride and ride, get till im good and lost then bust out the gps and say take me home =p i spend almost 2 years doing the live off my bike thing in japan >.> was quit an adventure, but id recommend not doing the room and get a tent trust me the camping out next to your bike makes it a magical experience, but i understand wanting a bed and power and all that
id set goal points to try to hit (locations) but other then that just try to have fun

Last edited by silviefox; 09-20-2014 at 12:00 PM.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Yep, When i first moved from Texas To Cali. Just get on the bike and head out a pick a road on the go. Found some great spots that way..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyhqF3J8VSs .....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05c2Guj6_FA

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 04:47 PM

The best rides I have even been on have been the let's go "That-a-way" rides. I love the back road and small towns. You never know what you'll find and who you'll meet.

Sadly when I have to get somewhere I end up on the Super Slab in the cage BUT for a weekend escape It's a bike and me. Pack lightly after all it's not a major expedition. Let someone know more or less where you plan to go (north, south or whatever) and check in nightly, very important! PLUS always have a backup plan if needed, IE bike breaks or you get sick and need a trailer .

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Garage
Rick, The packing light thing sounds like Lee Childs character Jack Reacher. He only packs a passport, debit card and toothbrush. All else is purchased on the trip.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:57 AM

No Destination

Rick: It is said "Young riders choose a destination; old riders choose a direction." Welcome to the "old fold." Savor it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	55370  

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
Rick: It is said "Young riders choose a destination; old riders choose a direction." Welcome to the "old fold." Savor it.
Old Riders choose AirHawks and Geritol!

Young at heart rider choose Versys!

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Get quick dry traveller socks as well. Cold front came through last night. There is a goodwill next door. Will be buying a fleece sweater or flannel shirt for $3 this morning. When I travel on the Versys I have a bag in each V35. If I add camping, I have my camping gear in dry bags strapped behind me.

Oh yeah, and trade in those jeans for some zip off leg hiking pants. Two pants in one and quick dry as well.

My Versys Travels:

Last edited by twowheeladdict; 09-22-2014 at 05:29 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 AM

Ever leave with no destination? All the time. Go play "I wonder where that road goes?"

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM

I go for a week or so about 3 times a year. Always solo, with minimal gear and no true destination. I camp alone most of the time. I am getting frustrated living on an island though. It takes me 10 hours of riding to get to a ferry heading to mainland of Canada. As I am writing this I am hesitating b/c I absolutely love Newfoundland Labrador. We are so blessed to have so many very cool outport communities to explore. I turn 46 tomorrow and am getting an airhawk for my b day!!! Does that place me in the old folks club??

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode