Riding to work - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding to work

I rode to work this morning ,it was 24 degrees but that was not the bad part. Hwy 60 from my house to Skeenah Gap Rd was a sheet of ice. Had to be very throttle sensitive and no brakes. The good thing was no wildlife crossed in front of me. This evening it was a balmy 50 degrees. There will be spots of black ice in the morning but the road had a few more dry spots this evening so it will not be as bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 PM

I have rode to work once when it was 24 degrees about A 17 mile ride, I dont have heated gear but it was ok except the hands that was the only part of me that got real cold I have hand guards but at that temp not much good. Enjoy the ride but be extra careful I wouldn't want to deal with ice.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:36 PM

I tried to ride in at 18 degrees and had to turn around and get the car a few weeks back.
I need to get some heated gear or common sense.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Heated grips are the way to go! I used mine the other night on the way home from work in the mid 30's, and had to use the low setting. The high setting got too hot
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM

hEY SHATRAT, DO YOU HAVE A RT.9 THAT RUNS THROUGH EVANSVILLE
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 10:41 AM

December 8th, 2009. 9 degrees in Eugene, rode to work. New personal best for me... no heated gear, just lots of layers!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvoelsch View Post
December 8th, 2009. 9 degrees in Eugene, rode to work. New personal best for me... no heated gear, just lots of layers!

And a little bit of crazy!

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
For those of you without heated gear - I believe wearing a heated jacket liner like I do keeps your WHOLE body warmer, EVEN your hands!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
For those of you without heated gear - I believe wearing a heated jacket liner like I do keeps your WHOLE body warmer, EVEN your hands!
So true. I ride everyday to work and for me that means some days I ride well over a 100 miles. (newspaper photographer) I've only missed a week this year and that was because of snow and ice. The heated jacket liner and gloves have kept me warm all year and that includes this week of near zero temps.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 06:45 PM

It was never the cold that deterred me from riding during the winter but more the chance of hitting ice that prevents me from riding as much as I want to. I hit some ice last week on an uphill slight curve and almost put the bike in the ditch. It totally freaked me out and I couldn't enjoy riding after that due to being so paranoid of hitting more ice.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM

The good thing was no wildlife crossed in front of me
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM

My bike is usually the last one on the road in the Fall. I'll ride to around 28F, but then my thumbs get too damn cold on my 30 minute ride. I have heated grips but they don't help my thumbs because of the gap.

I'm leary to get out too early in the Spring because of all the salt. It's not worth ruining my bike, but yet I can't seem to wait.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emur View Post
It was never the cold that deterred me from riding during the winter but more the chance of hitting ice that prevents me from riding as much as I want to. I hit some ice last week on an uphill slight curve and almost put the bike in the ditch. It totally freaked me out and I couldn't enjoy riding after that due to being so paranoid of hitting more ice.
Agreed. I usually try to ride as late into the season as I can, and was coming home one night when it was about 30 out. Hit the center line with the rear and it slid a bit. Freaked me right out. Don't know how much I would freak out if it was ice I hit.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Ice or rain are about the only things that keep me from riding to work. There are a few spots on my route were water seems to run across the road most of the time and on those sub-freezing I usually just drive because I get to work in the dark. In daylight where I could see that kind of stuff better it would be different. Heated gear really extends the lower temp I will ride in. Here is Atlanta we don't have a riding season, just days that I don't want to ride.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Don't mind riding in the rain but won't mess with ice. But here in texas it been upper 60's most of the week

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM

It sucks to be at work and seeing the bike waiting in the parking lot...

My Album:
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
It sucks to be at work and seeing the bike waiting in the parking lot...
The only thing worse is if your car was there
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

It was about 20 degrees this morning and some spots of black ice on hwy 60. All in all a good ride to work and a great ride home this evening. Great weekend coming up.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Geek View Post
I have heated grips but they don't help my thumbs because of the gap.
electric gloves >>> heated grips. it's not even close.

my current commute is only 4-5 miles, so i don't bother plugging in, i just tough it out. i've actually sold my electric gloves due to lack of use. i wanted to try some different ones anyway. but when i lived in atlanta, my commute took 35-40 minutes and they were gold; so much better than the grips i had beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode