HIGH speed touring in British Columbia! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
HIGH speed touring in British Columbia!

My older brother is in a nursing home in Vancouver. I hadn't seen him for a few years, so I thought I'd ride down, visit a bit, then see another old motorcycling friend for a couple of hours before heading back to another riding friend in Chilliwack for dinner and a bunk, before riding back to Kelowna....

Wednesday dawned overcast, showery, so I left home wearing my new "AEROMOTO" hi-vis rain suit over mesh gear (ATGATT, of course!) altho' it was quite cool as forecast temps for Thursday were to be warm.

Recently the BC gov't had a series of meetings w/ the public about speed limits, as historically the limits here have been artificially LOW, causing people traveling at safe speeds to be subject to speeding tickets from the RCMP who act as the BC provincial police, ALSO increasing insurance rates thru our gov't run insurance corp, ICBC. ()

I responded, along w/ MANY others, and referenced the "85th percentile" method of setting those speed limits.

I guess I wasn't the ONLY one, and - lo-and-behold if BC didn't set NEW limits on many roads, using the "85th percentile" method to establish limits, going as high as 120 km/hr in places (74.4 mph), the HIGHEST speed limits in Canada! And the roads I was taking to Vancouver are among them...!

Well, the rain held off, but the AEROMOTO suit kept the wind out, keeping me warmer as I set my speed AROUND 120 km/hr (....) heading west. Out of Kelowna we have a road called the "Connector" which connects to the Coquahalla, the fast way down to the "Lower Mainland", but about 20 kms before the junction there's a dirt road heading W connecting both legs of a big "U", so I took it. Probably saved me 25 kms, while costing me an additional 20 minutes. GOOD trade, tho'... Check the first pic.

Not a lot of opportunities to take pics traveling fast (along w/ the low cloud) as my camera was in the tank-bag, and when the road sort of levels off near Hope, the rain started. Stopped in Chilliwack to see if my friend wanted to ride in w/ me.... "NO freakin' way!" said he, so off I went, fueling-up on the way. My 'dash' had given me 19km/L (53.6 mpgImperial, 43 mpgUS), and I bucked the traffic for an hour in the rain to see my bro.

Rain had pretty much stopped when I left the nursing home to ride to Richmond to see Mitch, an old riding buddy from my home town of Edmonton. Mitch has ridden in the "Motocross de Nations" back in the '60s, owned a Honda bike shop in Vancouver, owned bikes as disparate as a street-legal Manx Norton, THE actual Vincent Black Shadow featured in the first North American road tests of Vincents (in the '50s), a Scott 'Flying Squirrel', an MV4 (Matchless V-4), and a very rare Vellocette road racing KTT, among others.

Mitch STILL rides his "Mitchisse" - a Metisse framed scrambler w/ a 1937 Triumph 250 engine he's raced since I met him in the early '60s (see pic 2), and he's working on a 500cc AJS that was bored out to 650 (pic 3), but w/ stock 500 heads, so VERY high compression, and he's machining some Husky compression releases into it so it can be easily started (Mitch is 84!!!). After a GOOD visit I saddled up, still wearing rain-gear for the wind-breaking, and headed to Norm's in Chilliwack. For those who're active (or WERE) on KLR650 forums, he's THE Norm Keller of all those GREAT technical articles on modding KLRs. GREAT visit!

Thursday morning was overcast, so I left in rain-gear, filled up (23 kms/L for that tank), then E into rain to Hope, where I turned N onto Hwy 1 and the Fraser Canyon, as the skies lifted. Shortly (at Boston Bar) I removed the rain stuff, continuing in sunny warmth. The Fraser Canyon has a lot of rail traffic including the original Canadian National RR, so I took a few pics of tunnels, trains and trestles,, as well as the abandoned train station I photo'd at Boston Bar.

At Lytton I turned NE toward Spences Bridge, past the Indian encampment in the third last pic (fishing for Sockeye salmon in the Thompson River?), then SE from there to Merritt, BOTH stretches of twisties-on-twisties - GREAT motorcycling roads!

Merritt is the western end of the "Connector" to Kelowna, storm clouds showing as I started the climb, so I pulled over to suit-up (LAST of my pics). Back onto the highway, rain visible up ahead, skies blackening, speed set at AROUND () 120 km/hr, I saw something UNUSUAL coming up fast. I could see three wheels, set-up like the Can-Ams, but DIFFERENT.... It passed me, two people waving, obviously expensive but I could NOT make out its brand because the skies OPENED-UP, VERY heavy rain just after it got by. They headed for the shoulder where several cars and a couple of H-Ds had already stopped. The rain was so heavy that it 'stung' my chest thru the stuff I was wearing, rivulets of rain running down the road, but I could see just fine, I was DRY, so I kept going. The rain cut back to merely moderate as the road descends into the Okanagan Valley and Kelowna, down to a drizzle as I gassed up (20 km/L for the 'run' from Chilliwack), then continued home.

Getting home I noted that the GPS trip mileage was 966.2 kms, my odometer 951.6 for the two days, and that the GPS had my average moving speed as 85.8 km/hr (53 mph!), NOT bad considering how much city-congestion I rode thru at a "walking-pace"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130360 copy.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	53321   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130366 copy.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	53329   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130367 copy.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	53337   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140370 copy.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	53345   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140376 copy.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	53353  

Name:	P8140379 copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	53361   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140380 copy.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	53369   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140383 copy.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	53377   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140385 copy.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	53385   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8140389 copy.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	53393  

Name:	P8140391 copy.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	53401  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 08-15-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Eddie,

Great write-up and great photos. And. . . . and mention of a Scott Flying Squirrel for me to drool over.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Nice ride eddie, and great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Lots of jealous debate on this end of the country over those increased speed limits in BC. It'd be nice. Of course, they could set the limit on the 401 at 150 km/hr, and you'd still have to crawl through it for the insane congestion!

Always trust your cape.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 04:47 PM

You were in Chilliwack and you didn't say hi? :-(

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuff View Post
You were in Chilliwack and you didn't say hi? :-(
Sorry cuff....

It was raining when I got there, STILL raining when I returned that evening, and my rainsuit was ON, next morning when I left. Did NOT feel too much like visiting, what w/ rain-gear ON and OFFs....

I'll give it a "shot" NEXT time...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Eddie,

Great write-up and great photos. And. . . . and mention of a Scott Flying Squirrel for me to drool over.
Arion - IF only I could remember ALL the bikes I've seen at Mitch's place over the years.... That 'little' shop has a metal lathe, mill, etc, etc, plus a 'lean-to' out back w/ MORE stuff.

Mitch rides a Honda 650 single (cafe racer?) that came out only in the US, quite awhile back, w/ a 'spare' one in the lean-to....

Here are three pics of a WORKING model steam engine (triple expansion) that was hand-made by a fellow in Nova Scotia in 1933. The second pic has a head from that AJS behind to give you an idea of scale. NEAT!

I could easily spend days in there just "poking" around....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P8130361 copy.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	53433   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130363 copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	53441   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8130364 copy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	53449  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Arion - IF only I could remember ALL the bikes I've seen at Mitch's place over the years.... That 'little' shop has a metal lathe, mill, etc, etc, plus a 'lean-to' out back w/ MORE stuff.

Mitch rides a Honda 650 single (cafe racer?) that came out only in the US, quite awhile back, w/ a 'spare' one in the lean-to....

Here are three pics of a WORKING model steam engine (triple expansion) that was hand-made by a fellow in Nova Scotia in 1933. The second pic has a head from that AJS behind to give you an idea of scale. NEAT!

I could easily spend days in there just "poking" around....

That's amazing. What a gifted mechanic and machinist he must be.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry cuff....

It was raining when I got there, STILL raining when I returned that evening, and my rainsuit was ON, next morning when I left. Did NOT feel too much like visiting, what w/ rain-gear ON and OFFs....

I'll give it a "shot" NEXT time...!
Haha, I know that feeling. Next time for sure.

Falling down is your bodies way of saying you just screwed up.

IBA# 38547
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I think the "three-wheeler" that passed me just as the rain hit, was this one (WHATEVER it is...).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	53537  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think the "three-wheeler" that passed me just as the rain hit, was this one (WHATEVER it is...).
T-rex, from Campagna, a companie base on the south shore of montreal

Campagna

Insane road hugging machine ...

LOP
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 PM

Garage
Btw Eddie, your post would be the perfect script for a documentary on motorcycle and their owner, BC back road, and maybe RR history

Find someone to send your post and pict !

LOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode