Big Bend, Late November - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up Big Bend, Late November

Well, I just returned from a more or less impromptu trip down Texas way, trying to clear some cobwebs out of my brain-pan. Great weather, till it turned cold yesterday, and I cut the trip short and blasted home. Some pics from the trip follow...

Lots of flat and straight to start with.

Marfa, TX, where Artist Donald Judd turned a disappearing West Texas town into a art hotspot on the US map. About 20 miles from nowhere in either direction is this art project funded mostly by local arts groups: PRADA/Marfa.

Marfa's court house/city hall.

The ride to Ft. Davis was beautiful and more interesting.

Spent a pleasant evening in the cool little town of Alpine, then on to the National Park.

Got a back country camping permit for the three days I was there. Campsite #1, K-Bar #1.

The road to my second nights campsite: Grapevine Hills #4

Lots of nice sweeping turns in the park.

Went out of the park to the cool little town of Terlingua, where the locals, (and a couple of us tour-ons), shared some early afternoon cervezas on the porch of the Trading Company. Pretty good deal too. Just buy your six pack for a reasonable price, and meet your like-minded compatriots on the wide porch for an afternoon soiree.

More scenes from the park.

Near campsite, #3, Ocatillo Grove, where it was warm enough after the sun set that the mosquitos enjoyed my presence. The canyon is where the Rio Grande cuts out of Santa Elena Canyon. That's Mexico on the left side of the cleft, and the US on the right.

More sweeping turns and speco scenery.

[IMG][/IMG]

I hooked up with"Toltec/Dennis" from ADV rider for the ride out from Terlingua to Presidio, TX, one of the most spectacularly scenic rides in the US, IMO.

Dennis and I split up in Marfa, where he headed back to Dallas, and I back to New Mexico. Spent the night in Van Horn, ($26/night! at the Budget Inn). If you're passing through on I-10, I had a great Mexican breakfast at Michael's Restaurant in Sierra Blanca.

Then Home to a beautiful New Mexico sunset.

BTW, this was my first long trip with my new Corbin seat, and it made the comfort and enjoyment of the ride much better than with the stock seat.

This was my second trip to Big Bend. It's beautiful, with some great sweeping turns, and a couple of hairpins to boot, and the weather is generally good this time of year. Highly recommend the trip if you've got the time. Cheers! - Miguelito

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Great Trip

I'm living in Austin, Tx right now and I've been meaning to make the trip for some time now. Your travel "log" has definitely sealed the deal! Thanks
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 AM

Nice pics and report.

I've been wanting to ride there for some time....I better just do it!

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 AM

I visited Big Bend in the spring and liked it so much that I talked a buddy into buying a Ninja 500 and we went back in October. The road from Terlingua to Presido is more fun than a rollercoaster...so I did it twice. It was still warm in October. Nov thru Mar or Apr is probably best. Jim

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Hey great pics.

Looks like a great trip. Hope to see more later.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

nice shots. I NEED to get down there soon!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:06 PM

Good cure for the wintertime blues

Sounds like a great road trip for this time of year. I haven't been down in that region since I passed through in 1971, heading to California. I loved the stretch through Van Horn. It was the first time that I'd been west of the Mississippi and I was blown away by the big empty of west Tejas.
So many roads, so little time...

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmesa View Post
I visited Big Bend in the spring and liked it so much that I talked a buddy into buying a Ninja 500 and we went back in October. The road from Terlingua to Presido is more fun than a rollercoaster...so I did it twice. It was still warm in October. Nov thru Mar or Apr is probably best. Jim
That road pretty much is a rollercoaster Jim.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
big bend, miguelito, texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode