Gotta love Covered Bridges - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gotta love Covered Bridges

I got up all set to pull both bikes down for a major tune up...then remembered It's the 4th so the shop's closed. Valve are on the list and I'll need shims if the shops closed, if I wait they'll be A-OK no doubt and both bike being down it a bad plan. So I took a ride instead.

This part of Ohio has a mess of covered bridges and there are 11-12 within 20 or so miles of my front door. Most are "working" bridges with a only a few being closed to traffic. I decided to only hit the ones to the NE and the working ones at that.

1st I ran up to Logan County and then over to the Lewis Road Bridge. Built in 2006...and I thought they stopped building covered bridges a 100 years ago! All those beams under the bridge are wooden laminate and massive! They look like they'll be there 100s of years! There was a King Fisher Bird working over the creek looking for his dinner and while I was there he got his lunch!

About 2 miles away is the old Spain Creek Bridge. One lane and old. The bridge trusses only support the bridge itself the weight of traffic is carried by a new truss system. Still a cool old bridge.

4 or 5 miles down the road is The Buck Run Road Bridge it's a nice looking bridge and one I like. You can see it's a larger bridge as well. I was hoping the Police wouldn't show up and nail me for blocking the road SO you know what happened...right after I took the shop a police pulled up and ask me what I was going to do when the bike got flattened. I said I hope it doesn't and was I in trouble? He laughed and said I wasn't even worth a license check after some of the stunts people pull there!

10 miles to the Bigelow Bridge. And it's right next to a pig farm...the smell will about knock you down. Again an older 1 lane Bridge from the 1870s.

Just around the corner is the Culbertson Bridge. I felt safer with the bike in the road as it a dead end road. And as there's a large farm there they have a bypass ford beside the bridge as their tractors are WAY too large to fit through the bridge, 10 pounds of poop in a 5 pound sack bring anything to mind?! Again 1 lane and again reinforced to carry the weight of a car.

I "Found" this one and the Bigelow when I first moved to Ohio and was riding over to Columbus to visit The Iron Pony (a place that I spend more money in than I need too!) And still go by the Bigelow when I head over to check out the newest gear they have.

I didn't take a photo of the only closed bridge I passed as there was a large party going on there. It's open to foot traffic and is part of a bike trail. So it has a second life after it was moved.

I'll try and get the rest of the working and closed ones later for you. None of the riding is super as this is Farm Country and flat and straight roads are the rule. There is better riding not far away though.

It still blows my mind that these bridges are not only still in use but still being built. Yellow Springs just finished a little bridge about 2-3 months ago. I have'll a photo of it next time. Remember you don't have to have the Rocky Mountains, OZ or South America to find things in you neck of the woods worth sharing.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 07-04-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 06:38 PM

Awesome. Have a few within an hours drive but none that are still open to use. They are really beautiful, but too old to take the pounding of traffic.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Nice! I like touring the covered bridges over in Bucks county, PA.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 02:09 PM

Cool! I might hit up some covered bridges on my trip through Oregon and Washington. I'm not seeking them out specifically, but I'm sure I'll come across some...

BMan

2011 Imperial Red
Givi V46 / V35's SW Motech mounts
Skidmarx hugger Moto Werks bar riser
Mondo Motors LED Driving Lights
A little bit of road rash
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Here are there more "Young Bucks" and one Old Soldier.

Just east of me is the town of Fletcher and their little covered bridge.

Notice that the Fletcher Bridge was built in 1998? Nice little bridge in the middle of town a block off of US-36.

South now to Yellow Springs, A throwback to the 60s, You have to see it to understand but they are still protesting the war there, on nice Saturday mornings anyway!

The Hyde Road Bridge goes over the Bicycle Trail that runs from Urbana to Cincy. Again a new bridge only 2-3 months olds and styled nicely.

A bit west is Wilberforce and another new bridge. The Charleton Mill Bridge

Very plain as you can see. Not even "Windows" no fancy name board either. BUT it's built like a horse! Only a year old.

Last is the only bridge I have a photo of that is closed. The Stevenson Bridge

Sad to see a bridge in this shape. But it happens with time and a lack of care.

Hey! That's a funny looking Motorcycle!

I did some checks and there are 130 covered bridges in Ohio. One was burned by arsonists last year and I found 5 more in my neck of the woods to check out and photo

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
NICE photos - thanks for posting them !!!

Here's the only picture that I have -

Illinois/Indiana border - close to Interstate 70.
Ran into this one accidentally while running around the countryside - just east of Moonshine, Illinois.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode