What a ride!?! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What a ride!?!

I rode over to south of Columbus OH to meet with some friends today, Brian and Sly both have 1200R/Ts, Denise doesn't have a bike but rode with Brian. The plan was to run over to Hocking Hills and ride a bit then get lunch and ride back to their place and hang out for a while and then I would have a nice little ride home. Well you know what they said about the best laid plans right?

Sly had the lead with Brian & Denise following and I was riding “Clean Up” The first stop was to be “The Rock House”. I noticed Brian seemed to be having a hard time and running wide a couple times. I put it down to having a passenger at first. But things didn't get any better and as I looked I saw his rear tire looked low. When we pulled into the parking lot at “The Rock House” I check his tire…12PSI YIKES! So out with the Slime Top Off and I aired it up to 37PSI. Just as I got it there it started to rain…HARD. So we took cover in the picnic shelter had a bottle of water and waited it out. I check the tire again and it was down to 25PSI, topped it off again. Denise hopped on Sly’s bike and we took off for home. We made it and found a little nail as I checked the pressure at it was down to 20PSI. That’s one PR2 that's done for. It was “Table Topped” from Brian riding it from Seattle to Ohio! Nice for him there’s a BMW shop in the Dinky little town they are in! Nice for me there’s a EBR dealer setting up shop there too!

Bikes parked we went out and got supper, Nice Philly Cheese Steak with all the fixin’s. We got back to their place and the weather looked iffy at best so I checked the computer and it looked like I was going to get wet on the trip home. Had a cup of coffee and hoped it would clear off a bit, no such luck it got worse. So I geared up in my rain gear and stowed the phone and other junk in a saddle bag and took off.

Good gear will keep you fairly dry BUT you still can’t see very well. And when the bottom fell out on I-270 the drops still hurt like heck, or was is hail? I rode most of the 70 miles home in that mess but I was dry and cool other than my hands. I have yet to find a rain proof glove worth a hoot.

As a side note, you know how we all love to hate H-D riders? Well I felt sorry for the ones I saw on that trip half drown and frozen, huddled under the over passed with no rain gear that I could see as I buzzed right on by. When will they learn?

I forgot riding in the rain can be fun IF you gear up for it and are in the right “Mind Set” PLUS this is the cleanest my bike’s been in a long time! 70 mile of driving rain will blast all the dead bugs right off, even out of the radiator!

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 06-29-2014 at 05:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
These are the gloves i use and my hands stay nice and dry. i went by their sizing chart and it was spot on in most gloves i wear an XL but in these a Large...http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hardwear-Hydra-Waterproof-Gloves/dp/B008RM0S6O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Good write up.....i'm not a fan of Hocking Hills though....too many tourists and lots of grit/gravel in corners.....

'15 DL1000

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
lots of grit/gravel in corners.....
You do need to be very careful true.

I had to take to the field because of gravel, on an earlier ride. I was lucky in that I had a big field to run off in and didn't smack the mailbox I was sliding towards, I will NEVER forget that mailbox it was painted with white and pink flowers had green leafs. The people I was riding with just knew I'd "Bought it". While I'm not too proud of running off the road, I haven't pulled a stupid stunt like that in maybe 20+ years, I called on my dirt skills and rode the Versys bags and all sideway down the hill on wet grass to the bottom hooked it on the gravel drive and scooted back up the the road and got the heck out of there. I wasn't doing more than 25 MPH before I went off the road but due the the down hill and wet grass I ended up close to 40 before I was able of get any kind on control when I touched the brake. The rear would lock and start to kick out, PR2 are great on road not so good on wet grass!

They thought I was Amazing. I was just very embarrassed by the whole affair, a real rookie mistake.

Of course I truly think if I'd be on one the big cruisers that most of them were on I'd been down hard. The Versys is a lot better off road that I thought it would be.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
...As a side note, you know how we all love to hate H-D riders? Well I felt sorry for the ones I saw on that trip half drown and frozen, huddled under the over passed with no rain gear that I could see as I buzzed right on by. When will they learn? ....
On an Alaska ride in '04, I was riding south from Fairbanks (80F, sunny), and the closer I got to Denali the worse the weather got, so I "suited-up" in rain-gear. Soon it was downright MISERABLE - VERY cold, cats-n-dogs rain, then I saw a guy on an H-D exercising his rights, headed north.

NO helmet, gloves, rain-gear OR windshield; just jeans and jean-jacket.

I did NOT envy him.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I have alpinestar gore-tex gloves. Work great. I have ridden in torrential downpours and stayed dry.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:41 PM

Rain? Is that the wet stuff that falls from the sky? We have had no measurable rain since early March. I wonder if I still have rain gear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
Rain? Is that the wet stuff that falls from the sky? We have had no measurable rain since early March. I wonder if I still have rain gear.
Hell Bill - if you weren't an ATGATT guy, I'd say just ride in your birthday suit when the rain comes next month.

Seeya in October...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode