Rode some dirt yesterday... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Rode some dirt yesterday...

A couple of days back I decided to ride to a lake on top of the mountains east of my house, Postill Lake. That entailed about 30 kms of dirt road, there-and-back, so I had two choices - wash the GREEN HORNET, or find some MORE dirt to justify wasting water later (I guess there's a THIRD option - leave it dirty, but, it's NOT a KLR...).

ANOTHER road heads up those 'hills', but further north a ways, going to Beaver Lake, then branches onto another dirt road heading north to just east of Vernon where it descends to the bottom of the valley, and pavement again.

Headed up the hill, mostly on the foot-pegs due the pot-holes and ruts, and took a panoramic pic of Beaver Lake before leaving, then turning north (Dees Lake Road???). That road gets rather crappy, ruts, holes, curves w/ 'pit-run' gravel covering them, and a BIT of mud.

The GPS gave me an idea of what was around the next bend for awhile, then the road disappeared from its database, with just "riding north" showing on the screen, so it made sense to be extra careful. I did see a couple of quads speeding towards me as I rounded one corner, wrong side of the road, which underlined the importance of being vigilant!

There's logging up there, punctuated by the appearance of a logging truck barreling towards me in a cloud of dust - again - stay vigilante. -

I took a few shots of a logged area (NOT a clear-cut) for those who've not seen much of that. Soon the road started its descent, and a few thousand feet of elevation later I was on its floor, heading to Vernon to have a look at the KTM store (ALL of the new 1190 Adventure KTMs were already sold-out!), then reverse course and head south to home, arriving after an adventurous 140 kms - about 87 miles.

GOOD ride, and now I was 'justified' in washing the bike...!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060083.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	49026   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060080.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	49034   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060085.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	49042   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060086.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	49050   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060087.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	49058  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060088.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	49066   Click image for larger version

Name:	P6060089.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	49074  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great pics! I got all excited till I saw your tires...Don't know how my 009 Ravens would handle the terrain. Been meaning to try it, I just don't want to spill it and damage the bags. There's a ton of clay/dirt roads here in Lake County Florida. Kudo's to you, that's some beautiful scenery.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I had no idea Arizona was so greened up!

Drought, what drought?

Someday is not a day of the week.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RTraded View Post
Great pics! I got all excited till I saw your tires...Don't know how my 009 Ravens would handle the terrain. Been meaning to try it, I just don't want to spill it and damage the bags. There's a ton of clay/dirt roads here in Lake County Florida. Kudo's to you, that's some beautiful scenery.
FIRST time I rode that road, my V was wearing Continental ContiMotions.... (And it was a 'tad' muddy THAT day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
I had no idea Arizona was so greened up!

Drought, what drought?
I guess it depends on how you hold your tongue....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode