NY to CA ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
NY to CA ride

I'll be leaving Albany NY in the morning and heading towards Orange County CA. I have 7 days to get there so the first few days will be mostly interstates. I'll probably get to northern CA sometime on Wed 6/4/14. From there, I'll turn south towards LA and enjoy some of the great CA riding for the final couple of days of the ride.

I'll be staying with my daughter in Orange County for about a week before returning home to NY.

This will be my 7th cross country trip but first on the Versys. I've always ridden much larger bikes so this should be a new experience for me.

Each year I post to my blog as I travel across the country. I'ts always a fun ride and every year is a unique experience. As always, I'm looking forward to getting started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:27 PM

Oh my gash Mark, you chose the Versys over your other bikes. I applaud you wholeheartedly. I did a similar trip a short time ago (8500 miles) and I did fine traveling light. That actually is my preference.

While taking a ferry from Wilmington, NC to Southport, a young local KLR rider struck up a conversation with me. He had never seen a V before. When I told him my travel plans he looked at my bags and asked if that was it. I told him it was and he said he loved it.

One packing tip that I found helpful was to put all the clothes you are taking on the bed, and the money. Then, take away half of the clothes and double the money!!!

Safe travels and I'll be following. Who knows I may see you along the way.

Richard
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

After my first 600 mile day, I can say that the Versys is pretty good for long distance riding. I had a nice uneventful ride today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 Kawasaki Versys, 2012 BMW K1600 GTL, 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, 2006 HD Electra Glide Classic

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Three days into the ride and I've made it to Laramie Wy. So far, the Versys has been a pretty good long distance bike.

Yesterday, as I rode across Illinois and Iowa the wind made for a somewhat unpleasant ride. I was actually pretty tired at the end of the day.

Today was a perfect day for riding. It was around 80 degrees and sunny for most of the day. It was good to see mountains after all the flat land in the mid-west.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

I'm seeing so disturbing tire wear on the rear tire. It looks like it's heating up quite a bit and wearing rather quickly. Hoping I make it another 1,000 miles to my destination.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
From your pic, I'd say you'll get AT LEAST another 1,000 miles out of it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
From your pic, I'd say you'll get AT LEAST another 1,000 miles out of it.
After today's ride, another 1,000 miles looks quite likely. The tire looks more normal now so I'll assume that the road surface was to blame for the odd wear pattern. I've never seen a tire do that down the center, it's usually on the sides from hard cornering.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

I into CA from Nevada this morning at around 11:00 am. It feels good to get off of I-80 and into the good roads.

Once into CA I headed north to Susanville and then west toward Red Bluff to ride Rt 36. I've heard many good things about this ride and I was not disappointed. I didn't really have time to get all the way to Fortuna so I took a detour up Rt. 3 to Weaverville to get a room for the night. Rt. 3 is a great road too.

The Versys is a fun bike in the twisties. It handles great and the power is smooth and predictable. When it comes to these kinds of roads, I'm really not that good of a rider so the Versys is a great bike for me.

Tomorrow I'll go back down Rt. 3 to Rt 36 and finish the ride to Fortuna. From there I'll turn south and head toward LA to my daughter's house.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
If your looking for a good shop to mount a tire or any service. These guys do great work and have good prices also...http://www.fivestarmotorcycles.com

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely be replacing the rear tire when I get to SoCal. I generally replace tires just before they get to the wear bars. I'll push these a bit farther because I'm not too worried about riding in the rain here in drought stricken CA.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Today's ride report has been posted to my blog at http://marksride.com.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Garage
I just got back from a 5000 mile 3 week ride the Versys didn't miss a beat. We both ran nitrogen in the tyres and even after high speed runs the tyres were hardly warm. Very impressed.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 12:40 AM Thread Starter

At this point, I'm blaming the weird tire wear on the road surface. I've never seen this happen before and it was only on the one day. Road materials seem to vary depending on what local resources are available so I'm guessing that the tires are fine. It was just odd.

The one "issue" I had with the Versys was that it was hard to keep the speed down to 80. This bike really seems to smooth out at around 6500 rpms at which point, all vibration disappears and it becomes very smooth.

Unfortunately, 6500 rpms is around 88 mph which is eventually going to end up in a speeding ticket. I had a tendency to keep speeding up and constantly had to check my speed and slow down to get closer to the posted speed limits. I wish I could just run it at 90 mph all day. That would be perfect.

Last edited by mtcycle; 06-05-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode