ADVRSYS - buy, build, & ride thread - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
ADVRSYS - buy, build, & ride thread

I started off asking a few questions before buying my '09 Versys in this thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=20637 ...

Then I bought it, took it on a ride, low-sided it gently, and got a few things to put on it to help keep it from breaking next time I drop it. Here's some (long) video from the first ride on the V: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL04AEAC3039CD1D94

Here's how it sits now:

And for daily commuting to work (minus the SW-Motech racks, since they're removable):

I did a week-long ride with some buddies last April (2013) down to Malibu & back up the coast, with plans to make it to Oregon, but ended up changing plans when the rain became more than most wanted to deal with. Pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/we3pol...7644153595558/

I've been loving the V, put about 9000 miles on it the first year after I started commuting to work on it, and I'm still trying to get the wife to try going for a weekend ride to the coast on the back. She has ridden on the back for about a 4 hour ride locally, but with a few breaks between stretches of twisty road. The Sena SMH10 bluetooth intercoms make riding more enjoyable for her, and I found them immensely useful on the week-long coastal ride I went on last year.

I've been following the ADVRider camping gear threads, so I'm still working on streamlining my camping gear to make it lighter & less... voluminous than my first attempt:

Got a bit of what I have for camping here - still a work in progress: https://www.flickr.com/photos/we3pol...57644403017086

I'm assuming this is the section of the forum for posting up buy, build & ride reports, so here's mine, kicking off after a little time into the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprbst View Post
...I'm assuming this is the section of the forum for posting up buy, build & ride reports, so here's mine, kicking off after a little time into the bike.
Nope - this is where you write up your rides/ trips, w/ pics to make the rest of the 'inmates' drool...!

Part of what you posted would fit well in the "Cosmetics - Modifications" part, the rest in "Technical Discussion".

LOOKIN' GOOD, tho'...!

-

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Nope - this is where you write up your rides/ trips, w/ pics to make the rest of the 'inmates' drool...!

Part of what you posted would fit well in the "Cosmetics - Modifications" part, the rest in "Technical Discussion".

LOOKIN' GOOD, tho'...!

-
Thanks! I spend more time on the V than my KLR685 or KLX250s, so maybe that's why I spend more $$ on it - more in the first few months than I've probably spent on the KLR over its 12 years with me (excluding tires & the 685 upgrade).

I figured this forum's "Show off your Versys..." tag was close enough. And I know I love seeing what everyone else has done to their V - especially the green ones, since they're the fastest - so I figured I'd share

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprbst View Post
...I figured this forum's "Show off your Versys..." tag was close enough. And I know I love seeing what everyone else has done to their V - especially the green ones, since they're the fastest - so I figured I'd share
The green ones can ALSO be the dirtiest ones...!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00432 copy.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	47554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00433 copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	47562   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00434 copy.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	47570  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 06:19 PM

Your pillow looks a little on the large size. I have an ExPed blow up one which is tiny when packed away. I also have an Exped mattress which saved a lot of room on the Thermarest, and it's thicker and more comfortable too. Of course I blew all that saved space on a bigger tent
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Your pillow looks a little on the large size. I have an ExPed blow up one which is tiny when packed away. I also have an Exped mattress which saved a lot of room on the Thermarest, and it's thicker and more comfortable too. Of course I blew all that saved space on a bigger tent
I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it looks like the Nemo Fillo is about the same price & packs maybe a little bigger than the Exped, but it's also got a layer of memory foam & bungee webbing on the back to add a sweatshirt or something to the back to add height if needed. I'm hoping it leaves me no regrets.

I have an older Thermarest, so it is about 6" in diameter & maybe 20" or so in length when rolled up. It doesn't inflate as thick as an air-only mattress, but it has that foam again, which, I understand, will help insulate a person from hot or cold ground temps. If I end up having trouble fitting the Thermarest into my panniers, I might look into something else to save more space.

I'm really looking for a decent sleeping bag that compresses way down to fit well in a Happy Trails Teton pannier (the big one), but I don't want it to fill the whole pannier. That might be where I have to spend a little more money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode