Salt Lake City to Fairbanks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Salt Lake City to Fairbanks

Well seeing as how there are only 26 days left I figured I would start the ride report thread. I've never done one of these so please excuse any oversights or short comings. I'm not sure when I will be able to make updates along the road since I plan to camp as much as possible but I have a journal (like with paper and pen and everything....who does that anymore?!) and will update the thread when I get some wifi.

The short version of the plan is to leave salt lake Tuesday May 27 and head up to bonners ferry Idaho and visit my dad for a day or two. Then to jasper Alberta. Then over to the south end of the cassiar highway. Then up to Watson lake. Whitehorse. Tok. Fairbanks. Denali and hopefully take a bus tour. Then anchorage. Then tok again. Then to haines to get on a ferry for 3 days down to Bellingham Washington then home by Tuesday June 15.

There are a few days planned that include a whole lot of nothing and just checking out what alaska has to show me. But they will just fall where we see fit.....most likely Fairbanks, anchorage, and haines.

The long version of the plan has lots of numbers and dates and I can't bring myself to type it up right now but I will get to it tomorrow.

The group:
Myself riding a 2012 versys
Enrique riding a 2007 zx6r.......I know I know.....but you've never met this guy....he knows no pain on a motorcycle...
Mark riding a 2007 sv650
Ben riding a 2008 yamaharley big loud vtwin couch on wheels......I don't know what model it is sorry Ben.

So......that's pretty much it. It's my birthday in about an hour so I better get to bed. More info will be posted as the trip gets closer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Should be an epic adventure...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I hope so!

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Stop at the jade place (also free coffee) on the Cassiar highway and be sure to take a look at Hyder. Might take a sign for Watson Lake.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Stop at the jade place (also free coffee) on the Cassiar highway and be sure to take a look at Hyder. Might take a sign for Watson Lake.
I've got a sign to bring with me.....not sure HOW I'm going to bring it...
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

22 days to go! I will post the final plan tomorrow with all the numbers n stuff......it's on my work laptop. We are on revision 5 now and funny enough it's back to the original plan I came up with in January......no body listens to me

Here's a few pictures of the bike all dressed up.

Hope I did that right....haven't posted pictures from photobucket in a loooong time.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:28 PM

Do you know how to use a mail drop? Mail a flat rate box to yourself C/O General Delivery:

Joe Tentpeg
C/O General Delivery
Tok, Alaska

They will hold it for 30 days. You can even call and have it forwarded. The flat rate boxes also work well to keep you load light. Send home all the crap you accumulate. I would just buy clean clothes along the way. Walmart is your friend (Fairbanks and Anchorage). Mail home the dirty stuff.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
On my long rides I wear a pair of shorts and carry a pair of jeans, and 3 or 4 tees, underwear, and sox, rolled up, and several of those little "plastic" looking Tide soap 'thingees'. Once a week I throw everything but what I'm wearing into a washer/ dryer, then an hour later I'm good for another week.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

so here is the plan......nothing to amazing. keep in mind this schedule would assume that we drove straight through without stopping to smell the flowers...and bears. we have 4 days to spare along the way so they will be distributed where we see fit. i dont like having strict plans on a trip like this....just guidelines. our only real deadline is checking in to the ferry by 6pm on june 9th. we are going to try to take a bus ride through denali...weather depending. and we want to stop at the signpost forest....other than that....i have no idea what im doing. any suggestions?

tuesday may 27 trailer up to bonners ferry. (i know i know....but trailering up there cuts a whole day off the trip cause we can rotate drivers and just drive the 750 miles straight.)

may 28 bonners ferry to jasper 394 mi

may 29 jasper to cassiar hwy 531 mi

may 30 cassiar hwy to watson lake 462 mi

may 31 watson lake to whitehorse 287 mi

june 1 whitehorse to tok 385 mi

june 2 tok to fairbanks 202 mi

june 3 fairbanks to anchorage 359 mi

june 4 anchorage to tok 318 mi

june 5 tok to haines 438 mi

monday june 9 check in to ferry by 6:00 pm

june 9-13 ferry from haines to bellingham. arrive at 8am in bellingham

june 13 visit friends in seattle and then ride back to bonners ferry....or as far as we can

june 14 finish the ride back to bonners ferry and hang out with my family for the afternoon.

june 15 back on the trailer and back home to salt lake.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Well I just got some bad news this evening. With just 3 weeks to go it seems like Mark won't be able to make the trip. I'm really bummed out over this news.....mark and I are the ones that came up with the trip way back in May last year.

But...as they say.....the show must go on. And so it will.

Last edited by CmdrPopNFresh; 05-10-2014 at 11:32 PM.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Leave a couple of days early, then go Whitehorse-Dawson City-Chicken-Tok.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrPopNFresh View Post
so here is the plan...
tuesday may 27 trailer up to bonners ferry.
may 28 bonners ferry to jasper 394 mi
may 29 jasper to cassiar hwy 531 mi
may 30 cassiar hwy to watson lake 462 mi
may 31 watson lake to whitehorse 287 mi
june 1 whitehorse to tok 385 mi
june 2 tok to fairbanks 202 mi
june 3 fairbanks to anchorage 359 mi
june 4 anchorage to tok 318 mi
june 5 tok to haines 438 mi
monday june 9 check in to ferry by 6:00 pm
june 9-13 ferry from haines to bellingham. arrive at 8am in bellingham
june 13 visit friends in seattle and then ride back to bonners ferry....or as far as we can
june 14 finish the ride back to bonners ferry and hang out with my family for the afternoon.
june 15 back on the trailer and back home to salt lake.
Thanks for taking us all on your voyage, Commander. Ambitious plan with incredible daily distances, leaving little time to savor the wonderful places on your itinerary.

There was a wonderful little bakery at Haines Junction; FastEddie may know whether it is still there; businesses seem to come and go along the Alaska Highway.

Godspeed. Looking forward to installments in your travelogue.

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post
...There was a wonderful little bakery at Haines Junction; FastEddie may know whether it is still there; businesses seem to come and go along the Alaska Highway....
Sorry - been thru Haines Junction, but do not remember a bakery. HOWEVER I will recommend the cinnamon buns at Braeburn Lodge, about an hour north of Whitehorse on Hwy 2.

BEST I've ever had, and takes TWO people to eat one (for about $10 apiece...)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02196 copy.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	47378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02197 copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	47386  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 01:43 PM

And the cinnamon rolls at Chicken!
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Yeah.....I wish I had more time to do it so I could enjoy everything but I'm working on a time budget.
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrPopNFresh View Post
Yeah.....I wish I had more time to do it so I could enjoy everything but I'm working on a time budget.
Use TWO (cough, cough!) sick days, and get away early enough to include Dawson and Chicken...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Mr. Fast, ya own a piece of Braeburn or what? plus, you forgot to mention that after eating one of those buns, you have to wash your hands with WD40 or you won't be able to get your riding gloves back on. maybe two tiny Canuckistanian guys have to share, but a normal size USA dude would never consider it....
What's a "normal size USA" guy LOOK like...?

I KNOW you've had a Braeburn cinnabun Dave - but, when has a NORMAL size dude had one?

They send me a % of the "take" when any of the south-of-the-border "y'alls" take the place in, and, for once I DON'T recommend using WD40.... Just do an INDUSTRIAL lick for 5 minutes to get ALL the cinnamon and sugar off your hands!

Quote:
...Mr. Fast, did i forget anything?...
ONLY thing I can think of (GREAT list Dave!) is to have a tent/ sleeping bag combo EVEN if you plan to motel it, for when things kinda go "off the rails".... And a pint of "Old Snakebite" will probably come in handy sometime....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
good tip on the tent/sleeping bag, but since the trip is originating in SLC, i doubt he'll be carrying any booze.
...and Mr. Fast, i'd keep quiet about your penchant for "industrial licking", if the US authorities find out, you won't be wintering in Arizona anymore.
WHO said ANYTHING about booze...?

In the GREAT state of Arizona, I believe that "industrial licking" comes under a statute about... between consenting adults... or sumthin'!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the info everyone! It's all coming up quite fast now. I've been out of town for the last week and the last time I payed attention to a calender it was April still......now all of a sudden it's just 7 days to go. I'm getting small details lined up over the next few days but for the most part I'm ready to go. I'm going to try posting updates along the way but i probably won't be able to do pictures until I get home. Do they know about wifi way up there?

As for the suggestions...I have a couple of questions....

Not sure what "old snakebite" is but I am bringing a tent and sleeping bag. We plan to camp when possible. Assuming we are in an established camp going can I expect bear lockers for food or do I just need to get rid of any packaged food at night and eat at resturaunts/gas stations/diners?

On the subject of bears.....am I going to get eaten? Cause that would really bum me out and I'd like to avoid it. I grew up in the wilderness and am perfectly capable of being responsible while in bear country.....it just seems like every time my trip comes up in conversation people tell me about the giant man eating grizzlies that their friend of a friends cousin saw eat an entire motor home in one gulp. I've never been there.....can someone enlighten me please.

sick days?.....I wish.....I'm already using most of my vacation for this trip.

Jdrocks.....what is "medjet"? And a brownie camera and wp camera? I've got a nikon p520 that I'm bringing to cover most of the pictures. And a gopro for some video.

Thanks again everyone......I'll get a few pictures up this weekend.
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Wp=waterproof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode