CA Highway 49 3/8/14 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CA Highway 49 3/8/14

Ride along CA Highway 49 from just south of Angel's Camp to Sonora in March.
CA's gold country. Didn't make it as far down as the "Little Dragon" section of 49.
Another day, another ride.
Kinda new at the video thing so any feedback is appreciated.
GoPro with chest harness but part of jacket covers camera in some places.
DOH!!!

http://youtu.be/E-8l-RnImwA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looked like a nice ride...If your looking for a good spot to mount a camera on a Versys..Try here with a Ram Strap Mount.. Heres the view..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NzTWnQ_u5o
IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0176 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Weljo2001 for the pics and the advice about the RAM mount. Looked at their site and they seem to be well made. Might check that out. Also I tried out your handlebar GoPro mount idea to test my vibrations in the bars. I really see how much vibration is getting to the bars now. Might try that Speedy's anti vibe bar mount.
The one thing I really dislike about the Versys is the bad vibration. Maybe the wrong bike for me? Thinking about getting a V-Strom 1000. Thanks for all your posts, very helpful and I see your enjoying the FJR. Heading down PCH to SoCal tomorrow but not on the bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibesv81 View Post
...The one thing I really dislike about the Versys is the bad vibration. Maybe the wrong bike for me? Thinking about getting a V-Strom 1000....
I "tested" a '14 V-Strom 1000 a couple of weeks ago, and my 'seat-of-the-pants' says the vibes are VERY similar to the V's.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 AM

Enjoyed your video, and remember the road although it was many years ago. Lucky you, there are a lot of nice roads right around that intersection.
I have a question for you, what are those mirrors (from). Haven't seen any like that, nice long stalks. Much vibration from them. Frog

(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

RE: Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamafrog View Post
I have a question for you, what are those mirrors (from). Haven't seen any like that, nice long stalks. Much vibration from them. Frog
Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't realized those weren't stock mirrors!
They were on the bike when I got it.
They say EMGO on them, an aftermarket supplier of replacement mirrors.
They do get blurry at speed from the vibes. They are easy to adjust.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks fasteddiecopeman for the info, I'll have to test ride a V-Strom as well.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Ride along CA Highway 49 from just south of Angel's Camp to Sonora in March.
CA's gold country. Didn't make it as far down as the "Little Dragon" section of 49.
Another day, another ride.
Kinda new at the video thing so any feedback is appreciated.
GoPro with chest harness but part of jacket covers camera in some places.
DOH!!!

http://youtu.be/E-8l-RnImwA
I dig your mirrors! Can you tell me what brand they are and where you got them? Better than stock? How about vibes?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks Weljo2001 for the pics and the advice about the RAM mount. Looked at their site and they seem to be well made. Might check that out. Also I tried out your handlebar GoPro mount idea to test my vibrations in the bars. I really see how much vibration is getting to the bars now. Might try that Speedy's anti vibe bar mount.
The one thing I really dislike about the Versys is the bad vibration. Maybe the wrong bike for me? Thinking about getting a V-Strom 1000. Thanks for all your posts, very helpful and I see your enjoying the FJR. Heading down PCH to SoCal tomorrow but not on the bike.

Anytime..With Speedys Anti-Vibe Risers and a set of Handguards the Vibes where almost completly gone on the Versys. On the FJR i put a set of Heavy Bar Ends on it to knock out a good bit of the vibes on it.

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I just rode my Vstrom DL1000 to the west coast....sold it when I got back, never really liked it...The handlebar vibes were not nearly as bad as the Versys...

'15 DL1000
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2014, 03:23 PM

I still say that RT. 58 from McKitrick west was awsome !!!!

'15 DL1000
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnor View Post
I just rode my Vstrom DL1000 to the west coast....sold it when I got back, never really liked it...The handlebar vibes were not nearly as bad as the Versys...
Thanks for the input on the Vstrom & the Versys.
What didn't you like about it, if I may ask?
Great trip from Ohio to the West Coast and back. You travel light!
I've been to both those places in your photos. Wish I was able to
do a cross country trip like that. Maybe some day before I get too old.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESE_VERSYS2013 View Post
I dig your mirrors! Can you tell me what brand they are and where you got them? Better than stock? How about vibes?
As mentioned above they are EMGO, apparently a supplier of aftermarket
mirrors. They have an online site: http://www.emgo.com/The previous owner must have put them on, they came with the bike when I bought it. As far as better than stock I've never
had the stock mirrors so can't say what they are like. The EMGO mirrors get blurry once you get over about 4000 rpm but that may just be due to the vibes on the bike. Easy to adjust, they get knocked out of place pretty easily.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input on the Vstrom & the Versys.
What didn't you like about it, if I may ask?
Great trip from Ohio to the West Coast and back. You travel light!
I've been to both those places in your photos. Wish I was able to
do a cross country trip like that. Maybe some day before I get too old.
I never liked the Vstrom's engine, it has less low end power than the Versys, it needs to be 4500 before it has any power, not good for a litre bike. Also it is top heavy IMO, but in it's defense, I found its "forte" it's a very good light sport touring bike...but so is my Versys..

'15 DL1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode