Capitol Reef - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Capitol Reef

Wife and her V, I have the bulky V-Strom. Capitol Reef itself was kinda disappointing, yet we had some wonderful rides anyway. Best one was to Boulder from Torrey on hwy 12.

Here my wife is yelling to hurry up.

Torrey's Cuisine kept us alive.

This is end of the Paved road in Capitol Reef, northern part. The southern end is also not paved. Wife didn't want to venture these roads just yet. The stock tires are not her best option.

Here she's leading us out.

2005 50cc scooter, 2007 GS500f, 2008 DL650 Vstrom,
I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bear. We are already planning the next trip. Her class reunion at the Grand Canyon in august hopefully, and then there's a meet in colorado. Here's a link for you and the others,
hope no-one gets offended from the source

http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=45873

I'm here for my wife's V . She lets me Farkle her Ride. No Diamonds for her, but shiney stuff for the bike is Okay
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 PM

Capital Reef

Above, a view of the colorful terrain along the Bullfrog/Notom road, near the junction with the Burr Trail.

Hey, I've been hiking in the Capital Reef area this week. I decided to trade my riding gear for hiking boots and flew into SLC a few days ago. I've been spending most of my time down in the Capital Reef/Escalante region, exploring some slot canyons and making plans for a trip out here next year on the Vee. This is some terrific riding country, especially at this time of year. There are a lot of ADV type bikes on the road, especially around Boulder and Escalante.
The Burr Trail is one of my favorite backcountry roads to travel in the area. It would be a great dual sport ride when combined with the Bullfrog/Notom road that runs between Capital Reef and the Bullfrog Marina. It used to be even better, but Garfield County decided to pave their portion between Boulder and the park boundary. It's still an incredible track though. I can't wait to get back out here on the bike.
I spent Monday night camping up at the head of Box Death Hollow on the Hells Backbone road. Woke up to snow flurries the next morning but by the time I dropped back down to Escalante, the temps had warmed into the mid-50s. I really envied the riders that I passed as I headed back down into the canyons again.
I've still got a few days left, but I'm taking a pizza and beer break tonight in Beaver. I'll head back into the mountains tomorrow for a couple more nights of backpacking.
Hope you made it home OK.

The pic below shows another view from near the Burr Trail near Deer Creek. Deer Creek runs below the white cliffs of Navajo sandstone in the distance. I spent a couple of days backpacking through the area in the pic. If you get a chance to go back and the wife has some dual sport tires on the Vee, you've gotta give the Trail a shot. You can camp at Deer Creek or anywhere away from the road in the area between the Park and the Escalante Monument along the Bullfrog road.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Hey there VeeWNC !!!!!! Yeah we saw a few ADV Riders, not exactly the friendliest people around, the Beemers and HD's greeted us the most. We got home safe and sound, thank-you. Hope you too got home safely.
As for the Burr Trail, that had to be one of the best rides during our stay. But first a little snack at Hell's Backbone grill,

This picture was when we came upon a little hill type pass with a cattle gaurd. The whole time we rode we thought the view couldn't get any better, then we get visually slapped . Felt like it would never stop. Burr Trail is a must !!!

Thanks to the digital era we live in, I had a 1GIG chip in the camera, only took 200 pictures in three days , but had room for about 800.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Great pics too!!!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Sounds like a great time. Great pics by all. Thanks for sharing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode