Leaving Soon on Extended Trip - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Leaving Soon on Extended Trip

I retired a couple months ago, sold my house, and my retirement home is currently rented and the lease is not up until August. So, with a new V in my garage I decided to take an extended trip. I plan to leave next Thursday.

First stop will be So Cal to visit a couple old buddies. Next stop will be Tucson for a day.? Then on to San Antonio for a visit with one of my sons. We have tickets to the MotoGP!!! I will probably be there a couple weeks and hope to do some day rides to the Hill Country.

Then my son will join me as we head for NC. We hope to take in the museum at Miller Motorsport Park. Then to the Tail of the Dragon. I don't know how long we will hang around those roads but it will be a real highlight for the trip, as far as rides are concerned.

My son and I will probably split at that time. I will then visit an old friend in Charlotte and get myself over to the Atlantic, just to say I went all the way across. I have another stop to make near Memphis and then on to my home town in NE Ohio.

From there, nothing is planned. I may just make a bee line home, we'll back to California anyway. I needed to remind a couple people that although I will be riding a bike, the trip is about spending time with people.

I will try to post updates along the way. BTW, the photos do not show my Cortech tank bag. It is small, just the way I like. I travel light.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	44225  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

For some reason I couldn't post both photos in the original.

Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	44233  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckendall View Post

I will try to post updates along the way. BTW, the photos do not show my Cortech tank bag. It is small, just the way I like. I travel light.

Richard
Looks to me like you're attaching your "tail-bag" w/ a PacSafe. I think (over a long trip) that you MIGHT have wear issues on your seat fabric from the SS wires...?

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Garage
Sounds like an amazing ride ahead. Best of luck to you, and keep the updates posted.

And yes, looks like you really do travel light. That's the way to do it!

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Ed, thanks for your input. I sometimes carry a seat bag which uses an attaching pad which is strapped to the seat. It is still in place, so no worries about wear on the seat.

Thanks
Richard
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 PM

mmmmm Retirement

I can only hope to retire and have the health and ability to travel afterward on my motorcycle. Fabulous that your are doing this. It is something I plan to do. Only 9 or 10 years left to work!!
God speed to you. Enjoy your retirement to the fullest. I look forward to following your posts.

I figured it out!! A good day is when you can't see through your visor or windshield b/c of the bug splatter!!!!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Garage
You "plan" sounds just like what I hope to be able to do when I have retired. There are so many interesting places - I have barely even explored New Mexico, much less the rest of the nation.

When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

I will never be good and that's not bad. - Ban-Anon
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM

Have a nice trip!

--
Gustavo Erivan
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

After 5 days of riding in the last 7, I have arrived at my son's house in San Antonio. I have put 1780 miles on it this trip.

We will be attending the MotoGP this weekend and do some day rides in the Texas Hill Country. Then it will be off to Deals Gap. My son rides a big Harley now and he pointed out that the last time we rode together he was riding an XR75. I guess it has been a few years.

Richard
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 PM

Welcome to Texas!

The MotoGP Championship should be a great race.

We are heaving some traffic issues with 4 presidents visiting Austin this week. It should be cleared by this weekend, I hope...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Jaime
09 Blue Versys
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 PM
MTS

You get to ride with your son . . . Awesome!

Have a safe trip ATGATT!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
After 5 days of riding in the last 7, I have arrived at my son's house in San Antonio. I have put 1780 miles on it this trip.

We will be attending the MotoGP this weekend and do some day rides in the Texas Hill Country. Then it will be off to Deals Gap. My son rides a big Harley now and he pointed out that the last time we rode together he was riding an XR75. I guess it has been a few years.

Richard
The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum near Vanderpool, west of Bandera, is an interesting place. And it's the only place I know of that serves Australian meat pies. Good burgers too. Enjoy the Motor GP. CoTA is a pretty spectacular circuit.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Check out the barber motorsports museum near Birmingham, AL. Amazing place!

My Versys Travels:

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Twowheel,
Barber Motorsport Park is on the list for sure. Since my son has responsibilities (job), I may have to go ahead of him to take it in. He is still uncertain about how long he can be gone.

This is the first time I have had the opportunity to do a trip like this. I hope it isn't the last, but I want to make the most of this one just in case.

Thanks for the tip,
Richard
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 10:27 AM

Wow man, sounds awesome. Have a blast take it all in and be safe.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 02:37 PM

Cool

Sounds like a great ride.

A good friend of mine from ADVRider, RIP, rode around the USA on his XR650L a couple of years ago. Left from Cali and zigzagged around the states.

If you find yourself within a shout of Cleveland (44077) give me a call. I'm good for a coffee, beer, garage to do some maintenance.

PM for contact if interested.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:28 PM

If at all possible, take a run down to Tombstone (120 miles SE of Tucson). Have a beer at Big Nose Kates and enjoy the feeling of drinking right where Wyatt Earp did. All of Tombstone is just a great time!

Love your paint! I have a red 2011 that's being painted in Sun Yellow Pearl in about two weeks. I'll post pics once the painted parts are all reinstalled. Best wishes for a great trip. I assume your packing some protection as in a hot 38 Special or a light .45?
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Twowheel,
Barber Motorsport Park is on the list for sure. Since my son has responsibilities (job), I may have to go ahead of him to take it in. He is still uncertain about how long he can be gone.

This is the first time I have had the opportunity to do a trip like this. I hope it isn't the last, but I want to make the most of this one just in case.

Thanks for the tip,
Richard
If you stop off in Birmingham for more than a few hours give me a call and I'll throw some steaks on the grill

I'm no diplomat
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If the timing is right let me know when you pass through as well. Might be able to ride with you some.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode