Heading to Florida - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Heading to Florida

Well, at one point I had mentioned that long trip duty would go to my VTX1800 but, I think I'll load up the Versys for this ride. Leaving around March 13-14. About 900 miles one way from my home in southeast Texas, to visit my parents, who spend the winters in Port Richey, Florida. Will spoon on the new Conti-motions this week. The stock Dunlops have plenty of life left but, I hate them, and this is a good excuse to dump them. Don't rag on me for taking the interstate. I need to get there, spend maximum time with my folks, whom I only see once a year if I'm lucky, then hoof it back to work a week later. The alternative is taking my truck but, where is the fun in that? Will stop for the night in each direction, as I hate riding in the dark. Have plenty of gear, gadgets, and storage. No worries at all about performance, and highways are a breeze on this bike.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:20 PM

Headin' to Guadalupe Peak on the 16th of March from South Texas, 'bout 600 miles each way. Mine is a '12 also still on the stock Dunlops at 3,000 miles. I have some PR4s in the garage for the trip to Salt Lake City in May.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Where's the fun in riding the interstate? Besides, port Richey is full of blue hairs that don't see bikes. Interstates are full of tourists. I'd take the truck, and maybe throw the bike in the back.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:42 PM

Ain't no interstate to Guadalupe Peak. Anyway, roads is roads.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Where's the fun in riding the interstate? Besides, port Richey is full of blue hairs that don't see bikes. Interstates are full of tourists. I'd take the truck, and maybe throw the bike in the back.
Your reading comprehension could use some work. I'll be sure to give my blue haired mother your regards.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Your reading comprehension could use some work. I'll be sure to give my blue haired mother your regards.
I reread your post and my response. What did I miss? Are you grouping your mother in with the blue hairs that don't see bikes. I would think that having a son who rides would make her extra aware of motorcycles. I have been to the port Richey area and witnessed first hand the kaos on US-19.
You also said you are riding the bike on the interstate because of time and I said take the truck because what fun is there in riding on the interstate.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltermitty View Post
Ain't no interstate to Guadalupe Peak. Anyway, roads is roads.
Roads is definitely NOT roads. There are fun roads and boring roads. There are open roads and congested roads. There are straight and flat roads, and there are curvy and hilly roads. There are smooth and bumpy roads.

Some roads are fun, and some roads are boring. Some roads are safe, and some roads are terrifying, etc.

My Versys Travels:

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Yep, probably been on most of 'em.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Godspeed, Rick: Ride your own ride at your own speed to spend time with people you love. What fun is there in raising issues over interstates, blue-hairs, pickups, Route 19, etc? The great preponderance of pavement in Florida is flat and straight but, if it gets you where you're going, it's a good road.

I expect to be in Spring, TX, @ March 7-9; any motorcycle roads in that part of the Lone Star State?

Just a "rambler in my Father's world."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Great visit with Mom and Dad. Seeing them so infrequently makes me notice the changes more. Dad is probably a mere few years away from an assisted living situation. The Versys was superb for the trip. With the exception of a sore butt, it didn't miss a beat. Longest stretch was about 620 miles on my first day heading home. Was glad to hit the hotel shower and bed. About 1700 miles round trip total. Could pop a couple of ibuprofen and go again tomorrow but alas, it's back to work on Monday. Anyone hesitant about the Versys' capabilities on a long trip need not worry. Just go.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Versys View Post

I expect to be in Spring, TX, @ March 7-9; any motorcycle roads in that part of the Lone Star State?
Shoot, sorry I just saw this. I could have hooked you up with any number of friends in Houston. Have to travel a bit north (50 or so miles) to get to some decent roads but, they are there.

2012 Versys
2007 Honda VTX 1800C
Sold everything else
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Great visit with Mom and Dad. Seeing them so infrequently makes me notice the changes more. Dad is probably a mere few years away from an assisted living situation. The Versys was superb for the trip. With the exception of a sore butt, it didn't miss a beat. Longest stretch was about 620 miles on my first day heading home. Was glad to hit the hotel shower and bed. About 1700 miles round trip total. Could pop a couple of ibuprofen and go again tomorrow but alas, it's back to work on Monday. Anyone hesitant about the Versys' capabilities on a long trip need not worry. Just go.
Glad your trip went well.
It made me think of my dad who lives in Hudson (about 5 miles north of Port Ritchie). I'm lucky if I can get down to see him once every couple of years.
A few years ago when he still rode, I took the bike down and rode around FL with him. I usually drive because I've got the wife and dog with me. If I ever go down again by myself I think I'll ride though. It's about a 2000 mile round trip for me.
The last trip we took (last year) I learned to hate hotels so it doesn't matter how I/we get to FL next time, we will be camping on the trip down and back, or just pulling off the road somewhere to sleep. I'm sick of paying $80+ for a nasty, smelly, broken down room with bad service. I'm thinking we will just take the pickup with a cap on it and sleep in the back of the truck for free. The bed of my truck is cleaner and smells better than most of the hotel rooms we stayed in this last trip.

Last edited by ray h; 03-23-2014 at 12:39 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
...i'm thinking we will just take the pickup with a cap on it and sleep in the back of the truck for free. The bed of my truck is cleaner and smells better than most of the hotel rooms we stayed in this last trip.
x 2!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode