Woody's Wire Wheels & Shinko Tires Installed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Those wheels really stand out
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Those look really great! I like the exhaust, too!

What made you change to wire-spoked rims? Doing off-road, or just liked the look?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Those look really great! I like the exhaust, too!

What made you change to wire-spoked rims? Doing off-road, or just liked the look?
That is really a great question. I want to think that it was function over looks but I just did not like the black cast rims and wanted to install A/V tires. Also, it fixed my sliding to the front of the seat, the 1" lift. One thing led to another, and although my wallet is alot thinner, I wanted the look of the wire wheels.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 PM

What size tires did you go with? Bike looks awesome, really great job.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 AM

Send a message via MSN to zielony Send a message via Skype™ to zielony
price for set of these wheels is....?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielony View Post
irrelivent if it's going to make him happy
but would like to know if it's on my wish list
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zielony View Post
I believe someone posted in another thread that they are about $1650....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith02 View Post
What size tires did you go with? Bike looks awesome, really great job.
I went with 110/80-19, 150/70-17 Shinko 705's. It may prove I should have gone with a higher quality tire due to some of the reviews I have read, but so far they have been great. http://www.bikebandit.com/shinko-705-motorcycle-tire

I also considered the Metzler Tourance http://www.bikebandit.com/metzeler-t...otorcycle-tire

However, I really liked the Pirelli Dual Sport, but could not find the size I wanted.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...port-rear-tire
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 07:47 PM

Stinko tires

I know the tires don't have a good reputation but I sure like mine both off road and on the street....and Great lookin wheels!!!

"Put her in the wind and Ride it like you stole it"
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider View Post
I know the tires don't have a good reputation but I sure like mine both off road and on the street....and Great lookin wheels!!!
I know a lot of riders running shinkos. Where is that "don't have a good reputation" coming from?

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 09:11 AM

I run Shinko 009 Ravens. They're just the tiniest bit heavier steering than the Conti Road Attack 2s, two sets of which squared off in the rear at less than 3000 miles, and got ridge-y in the front at the same mileage, but I like the more planted feel. The ride is good and they handle curves great. I really like them, and saved $150 installed over another set of the Conti Road Attack 2s. If I went mail order and had a tire machine, I could have saved another $100.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I know a lot of riders running shinkos. Where is that "don't have a good reputation" coming from?
Initially (at least...) the Shinko E705s were noted for having tread separations. I posted up about a rear on my KLR w/ 17 INCIPIENT separations, and mentioned a buddy w/ a GS1200 who had MOST of his rear tread separate.

I am under the impression that Shinko has made changes on those DS tires, but I haven't tried them again....

Here's a link to the DSN-klr site where I posted up pics of those E705 separations. You PROBABLY need to join to view them:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...bums/985307074

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 04-25-2014 at 11:33 AM.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I run ravens on the Versys and mean streak. I was at 8000 miles on the rear Versys before picking up a nail and no issues with squaring but I ride bacroads and many curves.

My neighbor ran a few shinko dual sport tires on his klr 650 for 40000 mes with no issues. He was running the 50/50 tires. I have some GS1200 buds that run the street oriented dual sports with no complaints and they are spirited riders.
Of course any tire manufacture can put out a bad batch. There was a run I'd metzlers with chunking tread issues back in '07, and I recall reading about Michelin tire issues.

I think shinkos are a good bang for the buck tire for the conservative rider.

My Versys Travels:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-24-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil2008 View Post

Hi.
Can you share what size of tire and rim Width you have on the front?

I know it 19" but exact numbers please

Thx
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacneil2008 View Post

That is one great looking dual purpose bike! I'm too heavy to get off road, but that is a well put together dual purpose bike that would shame KLR's, BMW G650's, or even DL650's! That's a 'keeper' for sure. Good job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode