80 miles of Arizona dirt on BIG RED! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
80 miles of Arizona dirt on BIG RED!

I tried to add pics yesterday, to my post on "What did you do today?" about a ride I did the day before. Tried AGAIN today - no dice, so I'll post it up here with pics:

Suited-up (MX boots), and left home about 1000 hrs. Rode S to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy and turned E on it, paved for 9 miles, then dirt. Turned S onto the Barkerville Rd for probably 20 to 25 miles of nice dirt, then E again onto the Freeman Rd to Dudleyville, another 25 miles or so of dirt.

I topped a rise w/ a nice mountain view (enroute to Dudleyville), so pulled over to the right side for a photo-op, only to notice a Beemer GS coming up behind. Motioned him over, saw a "WHERE THE HELL IS CHICKEN, ALASKA?" sign on his right-side pannier, so we struck up a conversation about riding in the "Far North", Chicken being just west of Dawson City.

The fellow (Mike) is from Tucson, and just out for a nice day-on-the-dirt on his 2008 Beemer GS 1200. After chatting a bit we headed out together to Dudleyville. Having two riders meant we could EACH take the other's picture riding thru the San Pedro River, a first for the many times I've ridden here, and we did exactly that! This was the deepest I've seen it - maybe 6" - but a hunter told us he'd driven thru it when it reached half-way up his truck door!

Split up then, Mike going S, me N onto pavement. About 15 miles later I turned back W onto the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, and started 'raising dust' again!

Around 20 miles later I turned N on another "primitive road - NOT maintained" as the sign read, heading to some 'Coke ovens' I'd heard about. Ten miles later I stopped and asked two hunters how far the ovens were.... The answer was TOO indistinct as to distance, including following a wash (which I WON'T do on anything as heavy as a Versys), so I "did a 180", heading back to the Florence-Kelvin Hwy, then W to pavement and home at 1520 hrs, after a GREAT five hour ride, 140 miles total, 80 miles on dirt.

The FIRST beer sure tasted GREAT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02266.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	39834   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02268.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	39842   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02269.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	39850   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02271.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	39858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02277.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	39866  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02282.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	39874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02285.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	39882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02288.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	39890   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02290.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	39898   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02292.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	39906  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nice ride report and great pics.
I like the water crossing pictures!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 02:50 PM
MTS

Another excellent write up eddie!

Photos are excellent!

Coke ovens? Just like Breaking Bad? LOL

Some of those dirt roads look smooth!

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS View Post
...Some of those dirt roads look smooth!
We've had a fair amount of rain lately, so the roads get muddy and you end up w/ some awfully 'rutted' surfaces (which can dump you in a hurry!), so the counties are pretty good at sending out graders. In fact I passed one near where I turned onto the Barkerville Road. Rather "exciting" too - he'd already done a 'pass' leaving a raised furrow (about 12" high by 24" wide) of soft dirt, about far enough from the ditch for a car to drive on, to my left and about 1 1/2 times that much clear space on my side. I was 'bopping' along around 40 mph when a Sheriff's cruiser came over a hill at high speed in MY lane....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM

Garage
Awesome. You sure know how to Snowbird!

Always trust your cape.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
Awesome. You sure know how to Snowbird!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 PM

Very cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode