Nova Scotia or Maine/Vermont - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
rlj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Nova Scotia or Maine/Vermont

At some point in late spring or early summer I plan a trip to Maine. There is a new ferry service starting up from Portland ME to Yarmouth Nova Scotia in 2014. Leaves Portland at 8:00PM and arrives in Yarmouth the next morning around 7:00 AM. Has anyone toured in Nova Scotia? My other option is to head further up in Maine and over in Vermont.

I eventually need to end up in western NY (Chautauqua) at some point.

More questions to come for the NE riders..........

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
05 HD Sportster Roadster 1200
02 Malaguti F12 Phantom 49cc Italian Scooter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj View Post
...Has anyone toured in Nova Scotia?....
From Yarmouth ride up the RIGHT side of NS thru Peggys Cove, etc, then to Port Hawkesbury, and cross to Cape Breton Island where you'll ride the Cabot Trail. Ride it CLOCKWISE, as that keeps you a full lane AWAY from the drop-offs. Make sure your camera has LOTS of memory, and EXTRA batteries!!!!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM

"Spring" comes late in Maine.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 02:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
From Yarmouth ride up the RIGHT side of NS thru Peggys Cove, etc, then to Port Hawkesbury, and cross to Cape Breton Island where you'll ride the Cabot Trail. Ride it CLOCKWISE, as that keeps you a full lane AWAY from the drop-offs. Make sure your camera has LOTS of memory, and EXTRA batteries!!!!
+1 on the Cabot Trail. I went this Summer and it was amazing. It should be a bucket list ride for anyone who can ride within a few days of this magnificent road. Although, I did ride COUNTERCLOCKWISE for the unobsructed view and I just concentrated really hard on not riding off a cliff.

Link to my ride report if you want more details and pictures:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=33641

Maine and Vermont were great riding, but I'd still recommend Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail as a Must See.

Always trust your cape.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
At some point in late spring or early summer I plan a trip to Maine. There is a new ferry service starting up from Portland ME to Yarmouth Nova Scotia in 2014. Leaves Portland at 8:00PM and arrives in Yarmouth the next morning around 7:00 AM. Has anyone toured in Nova Scotia? My other option is to head further up in Maine and over in Vermont.

I eventually need to end up in western NY (Chautauqua) at some point.

More questions to come for the NE riders..........
From a former NS resident.... Lots of great riding in Nova Scotia especially if you do the shoreline. Check out Peggys Cove, Luneburg Waterfront, Halifax and ride the Cabot Trail. Provincial Park and National Park campgrounds are very good but sometimes require reservations at peak season. You can also ride to Saint John, New Brunswick from Saint Stephen, ME and take a ferry to Digby, NS. Lots of trip planning info on the Internet.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM

This is a story I wrote about Nova Scotia 10 years ago. Except for the road conditions, it's still pretty much on target.

The Portland-Yarmouth ferry was a great way to arrive in NS first thing back then, so I am glad they have brought back the service. The coastal roads will almost certainly be wet in the morning, even if there was no rain, so watch yourself.

I'm with ATCY -- ride the Cabot Trail counterclockwise (or anticlockwise if you favour British terminology) for an unobstructed view. Be prepared for any kind of weather, no matter what time of year. I was in NS one year in late June and there were days with high temps around 40F, other days when it was 90F.

Eat plenty of fresh seafood while you're there and try to find some places to hear traditional (or updated) Cape Breton-style fiddle music. I discovered Natalie MacMaster on a trip to the Maritimes and she blew me away.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:23 AM

Not sure if this helps much but I have a friend who recently finished a 14 month tour of the US and Central America. For him one of the stand out moments was visiting Newfoundland. If you exclude Central America this was his favorite part of the trip and he tells folks if you are in the area it is a must see. It's not so much great motorcycle roads but experiencing a different pace of life and very very friendly people.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
This is a story I wrote about Nova Scotia 10 years ago. Except for the road conditions, it's still pretty much on target.

The Portland-Yarmouth ferry was a great way to arrive in NS first thing back then, so I am glad they have brought back the service. The coastal roads will almost certainly be wet in the morning, even if there was no rain, so watch yourself.

I'm with ATCY -- ride the Cabot Trail counterclockwise (or anticlockwise if you favour British terminology) for an unobstructed view. Be prepared for any kind of weather, no matter what time of year. I was in NS one year in late June and there were days with high temps around 40F, other days when it was 90F.

Eat plenty of fresh seafood while you're there and try to find some places to hear traditional (or updated) Cape Breton-style fiddle music. I discovered Natalie MacMaster on a trip to the Maritimes and she blew me away.
Thanks Bones. I enjoyed your article.

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
rlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Not sure if this helps much but I have a friend who recently finished a 14 month tour of the US and Central America. For him one of the stand out moments was visiting Newfoundland. If you exclude Central America this was his favorite part of the trip and he tells folks if you are in the area it is a must see. It's not so much great motorcycle roads but experiencing a different pace of life and very very friendly people.
Would be fun for sure. Have a buddy that went on guided tour years ago down there. You fly to your destination and are part of a guided tour on touring bikes. He liked it as well. He also did the Cuba trip.

http://www.motodiscovery.com

13 Yamaha FJR 1300
09 Kawasaki KLX 250S
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
...This is a story[/URL] I wrote about Nova Scotia 10 years ago. Except for the road conditions, it's still pretty much on target....
GREAT story Bones - thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
...For him one of the stand out moments was visiting Newfoundland. If you exclude Central America this was his favorite part of the trip and he tells folks if you are in the area it is a must see. It's not so much great motorcycle roads but experiencing a different pace of life and very very friendly people.
During my 37 years flying I operated into Newfoundland many, many times, in good weather and foul. Spent many overnights there, visited places, met incredible people.

I was photographing the harbor from below Telegraph Hill (St Johns) on a sunny day when an elderly gentleman started chatting. Finally he asked if I was "up for a beer". We walked to one of the houses which are kind of 'suspended' from the cliff-face, sat down to a cold beer. A few minutes later a man, woman and several kids walked in and introduced themselves, and I learned that it was THEIR home, NOT the old gent's.... Things are done a little differently there..., and the people are GRAND!

-

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bones. I enjoyed your article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
GREAT story Bones - thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode