A Week Long tour of New Mexico - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
A Week Long tour of New Mexico

I had some business to take care of around NM this past week, so I decided to take the V. Stops included Santa Fe, and Taos.

Then I rode the high road from Taos to Truchas.

Here are some pics of Truchas and the views.

View toward Truchas Peak.

View to the Espanola Valley and the Jemez Mountains in the distance.

The Sanctuario deChimayo. They've got dirt in this chapel that believers claim heal human wounds. I once rubbed some on my neck following a surgery, and FWIW, I am fully recovered.

Best Burritos in NM. El Parasol, Espanola, NM.

Then over the Jemez Mountains, through the Valle Grande, the largest collapsed volcanic caldera on Earth.

To the town of Jemez Springs where I hooked up with a buddy for a pleasant evening in a magical valley.

Then off to Silver City via Emory Pass. I've been over this pass several times in my van, and you inevitably get caught behind a towed travel trailer or other slow moving vehicle on the endless hairpin curves, and the trucks brakes are on fire by the time you descend the other side. I was living a charmed life, as I crossed the pass twice this week as well as travelling the numerous curves leading from Silver City to the Gila Cliff Dwellings, and not once did I come up on another vehicle.
Approaching the pass from the East.

The view from the top of the pass looking east.

West side of the pass.

The West's dirty secret: Mining.

Silver city from the pool hall where I actually owned the table for an hour or so.

The Gila Wilderness.

I rode to Ruidoso next to visit a friend and then home. On the way to Ruidoso, I went through a sobriety check point at 3:30 in the afternoon on a Monday. WTF? I was kinda pissed, as I had to pull over and unpack the tent/sleeping bag/gear on the rear seat pilion to get my registration and proof of insurance out from under the seat where I store it. The checkpoint got very busy, as I discovered that I had failed to return my papers to their designated place after my return from Mexico last March. Well, I just decided there was nothing I could do but face the music, as I began to reinstall the seat and strapped my dry bag back on the seat. I looked around, and nobody seemed to be paying attention to me, so I mounted the V, and started the motor. After it had cycled down in rpms I looked around again, and it looked like every cop there had assumed some other cop had all ready checked me out, so I casually slipped it into first gear, and began a slow acceleration out of there. Kept checking the rearview mirrors for the next ten miles and still no sign of flashing lights! That will show you what good clean living will do to improve your chances in life. LOL. Cheers! - Miguelito.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the photo's. My wife and I are headed there shortly for a vacation, our first timen in NM. I was looking forward to it but now even more after checking these pic'.

What Town is the dirt floored chapel in? That look's very cool.

Unfortunatley I will not have my V with me on this trip.

pmac
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Hi pmac. The Sanctuario is in the little town of Chimayo on the high road to Taos from Santa Fe. It's a beautiful drive, so don't miss it.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out more on the net and get some history.

It's already added to our list of things to see. We'll ceck out the burritos too if it works into the plans.

Looks like nothing but fun.

pamc
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Nice RR! Great pics!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
july, motorcycles, new mexico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode