Beartooth Ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Beartooth Ride

Today I rode the Beartooth Hwy coming home from Colorado. There is construction on the WY side that shuts down the pass from 8PM to 10AM. I arrived at the site at about 10:15 and it still hadn't opened and was put off to the side with about 60 other vehicles and bikes. It was pretty crowded so I just flipped it around near the front of the line. When they let us go I was behind 4 harleys and 2 vehicles. Not far past the actual construction I had passed everyone and had the pass all to myself. I ran the last 10 miles on the WY side and all of the MT side with not one person in front of me all the way to Red Lodge. I figure that's a once in a lifetime experience. Me and the V had a wonderful time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing like having the road to yourself...

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:43 AM

Ah, memories - had a similar experience going over Trailridge (Rocky Mountain National Park, CO) one year - usually that road is rife with oversized RVs and folks with stinky brakes. It was amazing.

Val Gregory
AMA 466527, DoD 1258
'90 Hawk GT
'08 Versys

Tell the truth, explain to me, how you got this need for speed?
She laughed and said, "It might just be the next best thing to love."
- David Wilcox, "Eye of the Hurricane"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:36 AM

A beautiful road

That's one of the most beautiful roads in America. I've not had the chance to ride it on a motorcycle, but I did get to ride it on a bicycle a few years ago, riding from Cooke City to Red Lodge. It's a hell of a climb, but well worth the effort. I got lucky and had perfect weather that day, which is rare. I can't wait to get back out there with a motorcycle to do it again with time to enjoy the ride.
It's a great place for backpacking too, with miles and miles of mostly flat high country plateau with hundreds of small lakes.
You were really lucky to hit it when the traffic was light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM

One of these days I'm going to get up there to ride that! There's a BMW M/C Rally held every summer called the "Beartooth" rally and its located just outside Red Lodge, MT. It's on my bucket list thats for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode