Southeast US route suggestions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Southeast US route suggestions

The Mrs. and I plan on leaving Texas this Thursday to visit family in Augusta, GA. We will follow that with a jaunt up to Knoxville, Tennessee with a few days of riding around along the TN/NC border.
To save time, we may just trailer the bikes on the interstate from here to Augusta. We are, however, considering taking the bikes (sans trailer and SUV) up the Natchez Trace Parkway to 64 in TN and then somehow finding our way to Augusta from there. Any suggestions? I loathe urban areas and interstates when on the bike.

Back Off! I'm Already Riding Way Beyond My Abilities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:08 PM

How much time do you have to get there? Are you looking for serious twisties or a scenic ride?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 07-14-2009 at 03:12 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm planning on 3 days to get to Augusta. 1st night we'll stop at a friends house in Mississippi. 2nd night I figure we'll end up around Fayetteville,TN maybe. 3rd night we hope to be in Augusta.
I like the twisties, but will settle for scenic. My wife is on a sportster with limited cornering clearance, so we're kind of hamstrung a bit there.
I do intend to hit some twisty stuff on day trips while we're in Knoxville a week later.
Right now we're looking at taking 64 across TN and then turning south into GA to catch 60 and then 17 toward Augusta. That's pretty much the route we took last year in reverse. Just thought I'd get some local recommendations first.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 PM

So it sounds like 64 to 60 to 180 to 348 into Helen and then 17 out of Helen. That will be a great ride.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Took the bikes. 410 miles yesterday and 380 miles today. I need to get the spare seat to Spencer post haste! The heat was getting to my beloved yesterday but it was better today. Natchez Trace is a nice ride. Nothing twisty, but good scenery and light traffic. Pavement was smooth almost everywhere. Also nice to have limited access with no stoplights or signs. The speed limit is a rediculous 50 MPH, but we didn't see any revenue agents anywhere on the route. Tomorrow we should see the first good curves since we were in Arkansas and Oklahoma last month.

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

The trip continues...

Made it safe and sound to Augusta. Hwy 60 was fantastic, smooth clean pavement that was great fun when traffic allowed. Two cars were nice enough to pull over so we could go by. 180 was nice and scenic, but my confidence always goes down on chip and seal. 348 to Helen was not as tight and twisty, but suited my wife and her sportster perfectly. Her grin at the end was a wide as mine was after the dragon.
Thanks to sharrison56 for the suggestions.
Helen was a zoo, I don't recommend trying to go through there on a weekend. Looks like a good place to stay during the week though...

Photos to come once she gets them on photobucket.

Thursday we head from Augusta to Knoxville, so once again suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking we will do the dragon and foothills parkway on the way up, and then do some day trips from Knoxville.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM

Your wife's Sportster should have been right at home in Helen! I am glad you enjoyed the route. The foothills parkway is a really nice ride...your wife will enjoy it...not real tight...just watch out for the rangers...

Let me check with someone that would be familiar with the roads from Augusta to Deal's Gap. Do you want to make it in one day?

Steve

Now I have four!

Last edited by sharrison56; 07-21-2009 at 01:34 PM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 02:03 PM

This is what I got from a VFR rider that also drivers and 18 wheeler (knows his roads).

I 20 to Ga17 and go north till it merges with Hwy 441. Once they get to clayton, Ga they have lots of choices.
If time permits.
Turn right at first light after Mcdonalds in Clayton, Follow to 3 way Intersection. This is Warwoman road (follow to end)
Turn left on Hwy 28 and follow Hwy 28 till you get to Hwy 129 (deals gap.)
129 north
Turn right on foothills pkwy (follow to end)
Turn left on Us321 to go to knoxville or turn right on Us321 to go to Townsend.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Steve! I appreciate you being my personal travel agent. My wife is still gushing with gratitude over 348.
I think we both shortened the clutch life of our bikes in Helen. Don't know if we'll do all that in a day or not. We've done the Dragon and Foothills Pkwy before so are looking forward to it again. We need to do the Cherhola at some point. What are some good day trips from Knoxville? (Less than 300 miles round trip)

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Pictures!

Starting on the Natchez Trace

A rest stop to cool off

Indian mounds

Almost the end of the road

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Detour

We took a little trip to the Jack Daniels distillery. Worthwhile. The Lynchburg lemonades I make at home are WAY better than the ones you get in Lynchburg though (dry county).

Me and the Mrs. with Mr. Jack Daniels

Some of the facilities

It's not just an '80's band

The bike lot

Some old brit bikes

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

On the Road Again

Following water in the Tennessee river valleys

Neat gas stop

Georgia Mountains

Family and another sportster in Augusta

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 PM

If you want to do the cherhola you can go to Lenoir City get on to 321 go across the Fort Loudon dam towards Maryville go about five or six miles and turn Right on to 95 follow this road till you get to morganton rd. in GreenBack take a Right on Morganton rd. and follow it to the end and then turn left and head towards hwy. 411-(33). When you come to the stop sign that will be hwy. 411. At this point you can go directly across from where you are at and that will be 72. If you follow 72 till it ends about 7 to 8 mile you will be at pumkin center and hwy. 129. If you turn Right here it will take you to the dragon(129). After that if you are leaving the deals gap resturant and you continue following 129 towards Robbinsville you can turn Right on 143 and follow that over to 165 which is the Cherhola Skyway. Follow the Cherhola over into Tellico Plains about 45 miles be careful as you can get going to fast on some of the long sweeping curves as sometimes you start going down hill and you dont relize it and you can get into a corner hot real fast. But it is a beautiful and fun ride.
when you get into tellico just before you get to the cherhola market there will be a bridge on your Right that is 360 turn onto 360 and follow that for about 9or 10 miles then it will turn Right again towards Vonore it will still be hwy. 360 but you have to watch for the turn as it comes up pretty quickly after a corner. Follow hwy. 360 till it comes to an end and then turn Left towards Vonore. When you get to Vonore you will come to a red light with Hardees on your left. At the red light turn Right and go about 3 to 4 miles you will go across a bridge and about 500 yards after you cross the bridge you will be at the begining where you started at 72 and 411.

another way is to follow the route in the opposite direction. When you first come to hwy. 411 off of morganton rd. you wil be at a stop sign and hwy 72 will be directly across from you. But instead of going directly across to hwy 72. Instead Turn Right on hwy. 411 go across the bridge and on into Vonore about 3 to 4 miles maybe not that far. When you come to the red light in town take a Left on 360 towards fort Loudon follow 360 into tellico Plains.
be careful and watch as 360 will turn to the right across a bridge and then follow till the end and take a left on 360 and follow into tellico plains. Not hard just watch for signs. when you get to Tellico plains take a left on 165 Cherhola follow it until it turns into 143 and follow it till it comes to 129 take a Left on 129 into Deals Gap cross the dragon and follow 129 to pumpkin center and take a left on 72 at pumpkin center and follow out to 411. When you come to hwy. 411 go directly across and go back into lenoir city the same way you came across. R on Morganton road and then L on 95 follow that back to 321 L on 321 back into Lenoir City and then back to Knoxville.

A real nice ride about 250 to 300 round trip if you go up and down the dragon more than once. Also if you are riding Wed. 7/22/09 give me a call and I mite be able to ack as a quide. Although the weather will be ify tommorrow. I still will ride just have to be a lot more careful. cell #423-920-5757
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all that. I've got some map reading to do.
We're not leaving Augusta until Thursday morning, but thanks for the offer.
So many roads, so little time. Sorry Bear, but it's great to be out of Texas...

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

OK, we've decided to follow 28 all the way up through SC to 129 in NC. We'll stay in Deals Gap tomorrow night and do the Dragon/Cherohola/Foothills on Friday before getting to Knoxville. Anyone else going to be there?

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potus2012 View Post
Thanks for all that. I've got some map reading to do.
We're not leaving Augusta until Thursday morning, but thanks for the offer.
So many roads, so little time. Sorry Bear, but it's great to be out of Texas...

No apology necessary! I'd LOVE to hit those roads! The mountains look beautiful!!

Makes me miss home...

Great pics, by the way! Keep 'em coming!!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Trip continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
No apology necessary! I'd LOVE to hit those roads! The mountains look beautiful!!
Makes me miss home...
Great pics, by the way! Keep 'em coming!!
OK, we made it back home to Texas.
Fortunately, my wife's ride DIDN'T break down this trip and we didn't have to purchase yet another cycle for her.
Here's the picks you've been waiting for:

Hwy 28 on the way to Deal's Gap

Deals Gap Resort

post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Nice!!

So let me get this straight, the Yamaha she had before proved unreliable, so you guys bought a Harley that turned
out to be dependable.

How's that for shattering stereo types...

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

More Deal's Gap:

Breakfast:

A reminder (there were some recent fatalities):

A photo stop from the peak of the Dragon's Tail...

...and the bottom. (The prancing pony would look good where my Versys stickers are now):

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Nice!!
So let me get this straight, the Yamaha she had before proved unreliable, so you guys bought a Harley that turned
out to be dependable.
How's that for shattering stereo types...
Actually it's worse than that.
The KAWASAKI Vulcan750 she had before the Yamaha proved unreliable, so we bought the Yamaha VStar 650. The Yamaha proved to be downright scary on anything other than a flat straight road. It drug hard parts early and often so we tried again on the repaired Vulcan. It proved unreliable AGAIN so we got the Harley, which proved to be reliable and safer than the Yamaha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode