Pa,colorado - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pa,colorado

This is a report on my ride to STN's national rally in Gunneson Co.The chili pepper is our masdcot to answer that question and its an honor to carry him .Now to the report.

Early in March my thoughts were, should I go? I had been dealing with layoffs,eye problems and a general beat down feeling from all the crap that happened in a 4 month frame of time. My wife looked at me and simply stated,you are nuts if you don't.So I did.
My trip started on the Friday before the national,cloudy and with a good chance of getting wet.I kissed the wife and headed west.

I meandered southwest toward Ohio and hooked up with US22 west of Cadiz,its a fairly fun stretch of tarmac all the way to Cambridge Oh. At Zanesville I switched to Ohio 93 then on to Athens ,and onto US 50,the primary route for my westward travel.Its not a bad section of road and with its pleasant sweepers I made excellent time to the Indiana border.Taking a motel in Bedford,I settled in to watch my Penguins win the Stanley cup in the morning I awoke to FOG,thick stuff it would make the first few hours intresting.

By the time I had hit Shoals Indiana , it had started to lift .I Enjoyed traveling Thu farm country,and before I had realized it I was in Illinois.

I Came to Carlyle Illinois and stopped at this old bridge for a water break and learned about the Goshin trail west.

As soon as I cooled off I headed toward Missouri and Jefferson City,there I picked up a hitchhiker. Little dude but cool as heck I offered him a ride west.

We stayed at a Motel in Nob Noster,A real peach of a Econolodge (stay away!!).

AMA EAA STN

Last edited by maddjack; 06-29-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

We awoke to the weather channel blaring out severe thunderstorm warnings,outside it was pretty dark skywise.I setup my soft luggage in rain cover mode and made a dash toward Kansas City.Our luck held as we skirted just south of KC,where we could look at the skyline of the city while it was getting hammered by a real bad storm.I Was happy to see as we turned more south clearing Sky's ahead,a we started to cross the great prairie in Ernest .We stopped to take in the vista of the flatlands,marveling at the distance we could see.

We traveled Thu many little towns,miles of farms,and grain,every town seemed to have some connection to railroads past and most had some type of train related display in town.
The grain silos are huge compared to those I am used to in Pa.

We looked at a huge windfarm along 50 then we had the aroma of Dodge city come quaffing over the hill to greet us to the city which is still a cow town,the cattle pens defy imagination.

We had a great steak and a good nights rest,in the morning we made our run at the remainder of the distance to Gunnison. Hitting the Colorado line was relief,and Pueblo and its air museum was the next stop.I enjoyed the collection of aircraft there and hoped they could someday restore some more of these wonderful ,historic planes.

AMA EAA STN
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

As we climbed out of Pueblo,we saw in the distance the far off mountains,beckoning for us to come closer.Covering the distance at semi legal speeds we finally started into the foothills of the mountains and began climbing toward monarch pass and the continentail divide.

We arrived in Gunnison 5pm and setteled in for the eveing,and looked for fellow STNer's

The morning saw us headed to the Black Canyon of Gunnison and Rt92. A sweet twisty road ,its views snatch the mind away from riding at times, so caution,is the word of the day.Trust me pictures do not do it justice.

Along 92 I passed thru a small town called Maher, there I saw a sign for Needle rock,so off I went.It was worth the 5 mile ride down the narrow two lane to see this

I continued west on 92,passed thu a constuction zone and hit 50 again,stopping in Montrose I fueled ,got a cool drink then headed to the other side of the Black canyon where there is a road to the bottom.Rt 347 runs into the National park and there at the fork in the road you can run the road ,a 16% grade down to the river.

After my journey to the canyon I headed back to Gunnison for the dinner and beerfest that night.

AMA EAA STN

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

In the morning I headed down 149 toward lake city and Creede,road was a bit beatup in places,but what you can see made up for that.

AMA EAA STN
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Although some of the roads were a tad straight it was a great ride. Since I returned to Gunnison a bit earlier than planned I headed up to Crested Butte. With a heavy heart later in the eveing I retired to my room,having only wetted my thirst for more of Colorado and its beauty.In the Am I pointed east and back to the Monarch pass,I stopped for a look at the old route and then headed for Us24.

I ran toward Wilkerson pass and stopped at the visitor center for a look. Once again the view was spectactular.

My run home was thu the plains agin ,abet US 24 and I70,I stopped in Kansas for a night,then in Columbia Missouri.I passed thru St.Louis stopped at the Gateway arch for a few Quick photos and then went on to Dayton Ohio for a motel.

In the morning I visited the USAF museum at Wright Patterson,If you love or are intrested in aircraft,this is a must see.Its free,it has a motorcycle only parking area,and more history than you can shake a stick at.

Working my way out of Dayton,I rode back roads home,I was about 100 miles from my house when my rear tire attracted a hunk of metal ,giving me a flat.I plugged it with no problems and arrived home into the waiting arms of my pretty wife.Ahhh the road stories I had to tell her,she just smiled and kissed me again.

AMA EAA STN
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 02:33 PM

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:09 PM

Colorado is certainly a beautiful place. My two sons and I ride a new part of Colorado every year and this year we are going the southern route somewhay as you did. Your story just gave me the "itchy foot" to get on the road, but not quiet yet. I hope you had a marvelous time and nothing could be better than getting home to a loving and caring woman. Congrats on a job well done.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Nice report! Great pictures!!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM

great report, thanks for sharing. looks like you had a great time!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:08 PM

You rode thru all of my stomping grounds.

I was raised at the bottom of Monarch Pass, in Maysville..
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 01:33 PM

hey jack, good to see you over here. i'm rich on scr and rich_oh on stn. i had already read your trip report on stn. great pics. looks like a great time. i've been lurking here for a while and i'm picking up a lightly used and well farkled versys today. it was listed in the for sale forum here by erxraytim. he's a co-worker of mine...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 03:50 PM

Great report and pictures!! I hope to ride out there someday.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
hey jack, good to see you over here. i'm rich on scr and rich_oh on stn. i had already read your trip report on stn. great pics. looks like a great time. i've been lurking here for a while and i'm picking up a lightly used and well farkled versys today. it was listed in the for sale forum here by erxraytim. he's a co-worker of mine...
Didn't realize you wee intrested in one,you could have taken mine for a spin before you bought.Glad to hear you bought one.

AMA EAA STN
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 05:58 PM

I guess I will take up the distinction of being your Il ambassador! Ihave To apogize for HWY 50! In my opinion its one of the most boring roads I have to travel in the state!
I know Carlyle well though-the city and the powerplant where you took the pic are one of my accounts! 50 as I'm sure you found out gets much more scenic in Mo
Great report and congratulations on the trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddjack View Post
This is a report on my ride to STN's national rally in Gunneson Co.The chili pepper is our masdcot to answer that question and its an honor to carry him .Now to the report.

Early in March my thoughts were, should I go? I had been dealing with layoffs,eye problems and a general beat down feeling from all the crap that happened in a 4 month frame of time. My wife looked at me and simply stated,you are nuts if you don't.So I did.
My trip started on the Friday before the national,cloudy and with a good chance of getting wet.I kissed the wife and headed west.

I meandered southwest toward Ohio and hooked up with US22 west of Cadiz,its a fairly fun stretch of tarmac all the way to Cambridge Oh. At Zanesville I switched to Ohio 93 then on to Athens ,and onto US 50,the primary route for my westward travel.Its not a bad section of road and with its pleasant sweepers I made excellent time to the Indiana border.Taking a motel in Bedford,I settled in to watch my Penguins win the Stanley cup in the morning I awoke to FOG,thick stuff it would make the first few hours intresting.

By the time I had hit Shoals Indiana , it had started to lift .I Enjoyed traveling Thu farm country,and before I had realized it I was in Illinois.

I Came to Carlyle Illinois and stopped at this old bridge for a water break and learned about the Goshin trail west.

As soon as I cooled off I headed toward Missouri and Jefferson City,there I picked up a hitchhiker. Little dude but cool as heck I offered him a ride west.

We stayed at a Motel in Nob Noster,A real peach of a Econolodge (stay away!!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode