"Corkscrew Road", BC, and other FUN roads! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
"Corkscrew Road", BC, and other FUN roads!

Yesterday here in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, with temps forecast to be at 24C (around 76F), followed by cooler, wetter weather beginning last night, seemed like a pretty good day for an 'exploring the twisties' ride.

As is usual for riding north, I headed down near Okanagan Lake after the town of Winfield, and transitioned to the Okanagan Centre Road that follows the lake-shore, then turned onto the Carrs Landing Road followed by Commanage Road into Vernon. This aprox. 40 km portion of the day's ride is just a delight w/ curve after curve, followed by MORE curves, and scenery "to die for"!

After sneaking into Vernon from the NON-major highway route, I transition onto Hwy 97 to the north end, then turn westward towards Kamloops, but turning north at the Salmon River Road.

Salmon River Rd is a series of great turns and curves over a distance of about 13 kms, then, continuing in a CCW direction going from north, then to south onto the Yankee Flats Rd, again for 13 kms of great turns and curves till it hits the Salmon River Rd again.

This 26 km is SO good that my plan was to turn around, reversing course UP the Yankee Flats Rd to the Salmon River Rd, then DOWN it, following the CCW tour w/ a CW tour totaling 52 kms of Nirvana!

On the ride south on the Salmon River Rd I stopped at two bridges over the river to look for the salmon it's named for. At the first I saw a large fish swimming, took a few pics but they aren't clear enough to really figure out it's type, so at the second bridge I stopped again and saw quite a large salmon (or Dolly Varden trout) on its side, dead, in the riffles. Pics follow, along w/ maps from Winfield to the Salmon River/ Yankee Flats Roads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-Winfield, BC to Vernon, BC.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	32674   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-Vernon, BC to Salmon River Rd.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	32682   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-Yankee Flats Rd.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	32690   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01273 copy.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	32698   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01276 copy.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	32706  

Name:	DSC01281 copy.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	32714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01278 copy.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	32722  

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 09-21-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

After my CW romp down the Salmon River Rd, I started back to home by turning east towards Armstrong, on the Heywood-Armstrong/ Salmon River Rd (PDG riding roads too!).

As I was just exploring, looking for great roads, I then turned onto various 'likely' looking roads, enjoying them immensely, then onto the Otter Lake Road, south to - BELIEVE it or NOT - the aptly named... Corkscrew Road! Just before it I'd had to do a U-turn to photograph Snoopy, marking someone's drive.

I'd programmed my GPS to "take me home", knowing that it would constantly update itself as I headed here-and-there, and as I approached Vernon saw it was directing me onto Old Kamloops Road which I'd never ridden on before.

That is a VERY enjoyable motorcycle road into western Vernon, and there I re-connected to Commanage Road to reverse my earlier-in-the-day ride north, stopping for a nice view of mountains and water, home after 237.5 kms (147 miles) and 3 hours 35 minutes of "seat" time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4-back to Vernon, BC.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	32730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01283 copy.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	32738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01292 copy.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	32746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01288 copy.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	32754   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01290 copy.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	32762  

Name:	DSC01293 copy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	32770   Click image for larger version

Name:	5-Vernon, BC to Winfield, BC.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	32778   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01298 copy.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	32786  

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Incidentally - forgot to mention that I saw (probably) 30 or more bikes, particularly along the Salmon River and Yankee Flat Roads. Several were sport-bikes, some were 'Wings, some H-Ds. ONLY one Versys tho'... the GREEN HORNET!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
All these roads were paved?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Beautiful place for a ride..

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
All these roads were paved?
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Beautiful place for a ride..
Joseph - those roads ALMOST make living here on the "left coast" worth it....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great photos & great roads Eduardo!!

The scenery actually remind me of Scotland,(but with maybe less rain & no speed cameras!)

The link shows the speed cameras in just a small section of the whole of Scotland, & it's even worse in England & Wales..............they're there for everyone's safety, not to put millions of pounds (GB currency) into the Governments coffers!!!..........no.....really!!

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/databa...-locations.htm

Last edited by Britmick; 10-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode