Some stuff from a trip to Virginia - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Some stuff from a trip to Virginia

A couple of weekends ago, I headed north on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Meadows of Dan in Virginia, riding the Parkway for most of the 600 mile trip. I couldn't have asked for better weather, with two warm sunny days, and one rip-roaring night of thunderstorms and heavy rain that luckily stopped right before sunrise. Can't beat that! I stayed at the Willville Motorcycle campground in the Meadows of Dan, just a short distance north of the Parkway. It's definitely one of the nicest campgrounds that I've ever stayed at.
Tons of bikes on the Parkway, about 60% cruisers and 40% 'adventure' styled bikes. I like 'em all, and everybody was having a great time riding one of the finest roads in eastern America. At the campground, most of the bikes were adventure style, with only two crusiers in the camp.

Morning comes after a stormy night in the mountains near the Meadows of Dan - that's a pretty cool name for a mountain town.

A late night visitor to my campsite - I barely missed getting a shot of it peering over the windscreen. Not finding anything to eat, it soon disappeared into the night, but I did get this one shot before it left.

Beautiful 'downtown' Meadows of Dan, just south of the Parkway.

I had to get the obligatory shot of Mabry Mill - it's supposed to be the most photographed location along the entire length of the Parkway.

This one was from the trip that Jon and I did across the Parkway this past weekend to Cherokee - he has the new Givis on his green Vee now.

An aerial view of Jon's bike... and the new Givis. They look pretty good on the Vee.

http://griztrax.net/backroads/Parkway/VirginiaRide.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 AM

Hi VeeWNC,

The scenery is superb. for sharing.
Way to go, guys.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:43 AM

wow !! good stuff !.. thanks for sharing !

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:59 PM

Great photos! You have a good eye for the camera!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Thanks for the comments. To tell the truth, it's hard to take a bad pic in these mountains - just point the camera and chances are, something good is there to photograph. There' is never a day in my life that I don't think about how lucky I am to live here. I hope that the stuff that I post helps those who are planning a trip to the area.

By the way, while I was in Virginia, the host of the campground that I stayed at suggested that I check out one in my backyard, the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground in Crusoe, NC. I'm staying there this weekend on Friday and Saturday nights. I stopped by last Saturday to check it out - it's really nice. Lots of shade, nice cabins by both a pond and the Pigeon River, a good fire pit (that's an essential part of any good motorcycle campground), a good dining area, and a camp host that is a hard core rider. I'm looking forward to staying there and will post some pix from the stay as soon as I finish putting in the rest of the stuff from the Tellico trip.

We did a terrific ride up to the top of Mt. Mitchell yesterday. It's the highest peak east of the Mississippi at a little over 6680 ft. Down in the valleys, the temps were hovering a little above 90 degrees, but up on the Parkway above 5,000 ft., we enjoyed temps in the mid 50s, along with high wind and some patches of really heavy fog. None of us wanted to leave the top of the mountain. It was really spectacular with ragged streamers of dark clouds blasting across the high ridges of the Black Range. Luckily, we didn't get too much rain, but on the way down, we hit some fog that was so thick that visibility dropped to about 10 feet. It was some pretty spooky riding. I stayed in first gear for over two miles, and though Karen was only 20 feet or so in front of me, she would often disappear completely from sight. I have never ridden in fog that thick before and hope never to again. What really made it interesting was the possibility of somebody blasting up from behind us in a big SUV. We dropped back out of the clouds below Craggy Gardens. All in all, an exceptionally nice day in the mountains!

Don't you think that it's a ^%#$&# shame that Hunter S. Thompson wasn't an adventure rider? Imagine the ride reports...!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode