Tail Of Dragon Leo Presence - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tail Of Dragon Leo Presence

Saw this on ADV......watch out if you're going during this period. It's easy to go fast on the V and with all the cruisers and Leos it'll be very busy.

http://m.knoxnews.com/news/2013/sep/...r-enforcement/

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
"Authorities expect to have a sobriety checkpoint established on U.S. Highway 129 on Saturday."

GREAT...! You come around one of the curves to find stopped traffic backed-up. Can't see how that'd be safer....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:04 PM

Call me a curmudgeon, but at this point if my interest in riding the Tail of the Dragon doubled, it would still be below zero. So many great, nearly empty roads out there to ride. Why would I want to dump myself into this cluster? I can live without the T-shirt and bumper sticker.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
Call me a curmudgeon, but at this point if my interest in riding the Tail of the Dragon doubled, it would still be below zero. So many great, nearly empty roads out there to ride. Why would I want to dump myself into this cluster? I can live without the T-shirt and bumper sticker.
Ohio has the Hocking Hills area to play in.
The gps kept me from wrecking the wife's car many times this spring.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Florida sucks...

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I agree. BOTH AZ and BC are FULL of great twisties making it somewhat difficult to "make up one's mind" on where to ride...!

- -

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 PM

I have been several times, and we always go during the week.
Never had any problems with crowds or police.
But I would avoid the large rallies, as they will use those to
generate some revenue!
The Dragon is an experience, but not exactly enjoyable for me.
I prefer the Cherohala Skyway and the Foothills Parkway.
http://www.cherohala.org/
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Florida sucks...
Hey Gene, not to worry. It's only the sound of thousands of senior citizens wheezing with their walk-around oxygen systems.

As for Florida roads, they're straight and flat and, when I lived in Tampa, they were crowded with oxygen sucking seniors puttering along in their Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillac land yachts at breakneck speeds of up to 40 mph. Oh yeah, and then there are the love bugs! Isn't life great?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 09-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
Hey Gene, not to worry. It's only the sound of thousands of senior citizens wheezing with their walk-around oxygen systems.

As for Florida roads, they're straight and flat and, when I lived in Tampa, they were crowded with oxygen sucking seniors puttering along in their Lincoln Town Cars and Cadillac land yachts at breakneck speeds of up to 40 mph. Oh yeah, and then there are the love bugs! Isn't life great?
don't forget palmetto bugs and all the rubber necking tourists(ourselves excluded) who don't have any clue abt the rules of the road.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post

that's why they call Florida, heavens waiting room..

09 versys (GREEN)
06 vulcan 2000
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 AM
MTS

Quote:
One I will miss. Sounds like a real scary deal! Have seen people video a corner will oil spot so all bike start to slide, some make it some don't. To me to sit back and film it is just wrong.

( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:01 AM

Why would I head all the way down there when there are tons of sweet roads close by in Hocking Hills to ride. Most people have great roads nearby if they take the time to look for them. Just not you suckers in Florida, I grew up there, not a curvy road in the whole state! Of course you get to ride all year long and I get to shovel snow for months and freeze dreaming of riding.

I did the Tail once years ago and that was more than enough for me, what a zoo.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 09-14-2013 at 08:47 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM

The tail is fun, at night or really early morning.

But there are tons of better roads all over the area...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode