Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum

During a trip last month, I detoured south to visit the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, which was on my list of those places I have to get to someday. If you want to read my impressions, you can visit my blog, but if you just want some eye candy, here are a few of my photos.

George Barber's collection is housed in an open, five-story building. Still, despite the ample space, about half of the motorcycles in the 1,200-bike collection are not on display.

You can see views of the race track at the Barber Motorsports Park out the windows of the musuem, behind the 1949 Moto Guzzi Airone Turismo, in this shot. With all the manicured grass, flowers, sculptures and more, it's possibly the most beautiful road course in the U.S. Of course that's not saying a lot. At most U.S. road courses, the spectator areas are dusty slopes studded by weeds whose only nourishment is the occasional spilled beer.

Obligatory Kawasaki content: a Superbike tank autographed by Eddie Lawson.

Some old Indians. George Barber collected everything, from 1902 motorcycles to the Ducati that Jason DiSalvo used to win the Daytona 200 with two different engines to one-of-a-kind customs to exotics and ordinary bikes you'd find for sale any day of the week on craigslist. "Eclectic" doesn't do it justice. "Random accumulation" doesn't do it justice. It's a lot of motorcycles, folks.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by motociclista; 09-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

That looks like a great place to visit, & in October I see they have a vintage race festival......(all camping & RV parking is now full!)

I visited the British motorcycle museum in England last year when l visited GB
http://www.nationalmotorcyclemuseum.co.uk/museum/

& about 8yrs ago was lucky enough to get into the Ducati museum in Bologna,Italy
http://www.motogeo.com/ducati-museum/
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 AM

I live an hour North of Barber's and I visit a few times a year. They rotate their displays frequently and always something new to see. They are planning to expand the museum with an enclosed bridge that'll cross the racetrack and house another 100,000 sq.ft of motorcycles.

If you get the chance to visit, make time to see it all. It'll take a few hours to see it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2013, 07:22 AM

I was at Barber a few years ago for the 45th Mustang Anniversary. My buddy and I purchased weekend tickets for the museum and spent a lot of time there during the show. Still couldn't get enough!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2013, 07:50 PM

Barber's is on my bucket list along with the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum.
Hopefull when I retire in a couple of years I can visit both.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode