Saddle Sore warm up? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Member Rides Show off your Versys...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Saddle Sore warm up?

A couple weeks ago I made a ride from northern WI out to lower MI to see some old friends.

Door to door was 600 miles, the longest single day ride I've done. I left early on Friday morning only to ride through 5 hours of rain before I hit Mackinac. The rest of the ride dried out and warmed up a little. I pulled in just under 12 hours after I left.

I spent two days there and then did the whole thing in reverse, less most of the rain.

After the first day of riding, I still felt pretty good when I pulled in which got me thinking that I may have to try a saddle sore 1000 next summer.

Who here has done one and any advice?

Thanks,

Mitch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2013, 10:20 PM

600 miles is nothing to sneeze at!...nicely done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:01 AM

Airhawk

GeneHil - Mount Dora, FL
2011 Kawasaki Versys
Viet Nam: Dec67-Dec68 & Jul69-Dec72

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 06:56 AM
MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by genehil View Post
Airhawk
+1 . . . Do not know about the SS1000.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
( RIDE FREE BE SAFE )
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Right now I'm using an airhawk on top of a stock saddle. I also cut a tapered piece of foam that I put inside the airhawk case, but under the air cells, that helps to level out the seat overall.

So far it works pretty good and allows me to go 2-3 hours between breaks.

Mitch
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When my butt starts to hurt i slow down some and just stand on the pegs for awhile instead of stopping.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
When my butt starts to hurt i slow down some and just stand on the pegs for awhile instead of stopping.
X 2!!!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM

I haven't done an official SS1000, but I did an unofficial one, unplanned and undocumented. I was in northern Minnesota and had to work until about 2 in the afternoon. I planned to ride about halfway home to Ohio and stop for the night, but it was a summer weekend and I waited too late in the evening to stop, so every hotel I stopped at was booked up. After several fruitless stops and a lot of wasted time, I just said "screw it!" and kept on riding. I got home about 9 a.m. the next day, a little over a thousand miles, but since I didn't document it it didn't really happen, right?

By the way, this was quite a few years ago and was before the Versys even existed.

As for advice, the resident expert here is Lonerockz, who doesn't even get the Versys out of the garage for anything under a 500-mile day.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
I haven't done an official SS1000, but I did an unofficial one, unplanned and undocumented. I was in northern Minnesota and had to work until about 2 in the afternoon. I planned to ride about halfway home to Ohio and stop for the night, but it was a summer weekend and I waited too late in the evening to stop, so every hotel I stopped at was booked up. After several fruitless stops and a lot of wasted time, I just said "screw it!" and kept on riding. I got home about 9 a.m. the next day, a little over a thousand miles, but since I didn't document it it didn't really happen, right?

By the way, this was quite a few years ago and was before the Versys even existed.

As for advice, the resident expert here is Lonerockz, who doesn't even get the Versys out of the garage for anything under a 500-mile day.

Day-um that's a serious haul !!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 07:35 AM

1,000 miles ?!?! Thanks, butt (spelling intended) no thanks. I don't have much spare meat on my butt and after several hours it's just not fun anymore. And for me, riding is supposed to be fun. At my age, I'd rather detour OFF the interstate and sacrifice "miles logged" for "miles enjoyed." I now refer to my rides by their "time in the saddle" as opposed to "miles ridden."
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee-Houston View Post
1,000 miles ?!?! Thanks, butt (spelling intended) no thanks. I don't have much spare meat on my butt and after several hours it's just not fun anymore. And for me, riding is supposed to be fun. At my age, I'd rather detour OFF the interstate and sacrifice "miles logged" for "miles enjoyed." I now refer to my rides by their "time in the saddle" as opposed to "miles ridden."
Sorta like "smiles-per-gallon" rather than "miles-per-gallon"...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Recently did a 7K ride from Malaysia to Cambodia , Thailand and back to Malaysia, It was a 14 days tour and only 3 day off the bike. I did around 600km per day average. There one day where I did 1200K Km and it was painfull one.

I have an air hawk like gel seat and did wear gel shorts but nothing works at that distance on the saddle. You just have to get use to it.

Only advise is dont hurt your tail bone as it take time to heal.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Don't get me wrong here guys, normally I'm a "stay off the freeway" type of rider, but there have been a few times where I had to get from point A to point B and that was that.

It's almost like a test I just want to pass.

I've tried typing another line or two to further explain what's on my mind but I just can't seem to spit it out.

Mitch
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
the problem of long ride is , we worry about the distance even before we seat on the saddle. Just go and do it and get over with it. I did it and am fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode